August 23rd, 2008

Other Dem VP prospects weigh in

Bayh, Sebelius, and Dodd are praising Biden.
Bayh, Sebelius, and Dodd are praising Biden.

(CNN) - Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius and Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd, both believed to be considered for the Democratic VP position, are praising Obama's choice of Joe Biden.

"I’m delighted Senator Obama has chosen Joe Biden as his running mate," Sebelius said in a statement. "His extensive experience dealing with foreign policy issues are an asset in these complicated times."

"Jackie and I congratulate our dear friend, Joe Biden, who will make an excellent running mate for Barack Obama, and more importantly a great Vice President," Dodd said in a statement. "I have known Joe for almost 30 years and I've had the privilege of sitting next to him on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and sharing the campaign trail both with him and Barack. I know this is a ticket that can win in November."

Earlier, Hillary Clinton also released a statement praising the Biden pick.

UPDATE: Sen. Evan Bayh has released a statement praising the Democratic ticket.

“Joe Biden is an outstanding public servant with deep experience and a fighting spirit," he said. "These qualities will make him a great asset in the White House and on the campaign trail this fall."

(Full Dodd, Sebelius, and Bayh statements after the jump)

Kathleen Sebelius:

"I’m delighted Senator Obama has chosen Joe Biden as his running mate. His extensive experience dealing with foreign policy issues are an asset in these complicated times. He will be a great partner for Barack Obama in bringing about the change so desperately needed in our country, and restoring to America our sense of optimism and hope for a brighter future. I am proud to support this incredible team."

Chris Dodd

"Jackie and I congratulate our dear friend, Joe Biden, who will make an excellent running mate for Barack Obama, and more importantly a great Vice President. I have known Joe for almost 30 years and I've had the privilege of sitting next to him on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and sharing the campaign trail both with him and Barack. I know this is a ticket that can win in November.

"With rising gas prices, increasing health care and education costs, a damaged reputation across the world, and a struggling economy at home, the American people are ready for change. Barack Obama and Joe Biden represent that change. They will bring new leadership to the White House that will get our economy moving again, finally end the war in Iraq and our bring our troops home, ensure that all Americans have access to affordable health care, and end our dependence on foreign oil."

Evan Bayh

“Joe Biden is an outstanding public servant with deep experience and a fighting spirit. These qualities will make him a great asset in the White House and on the campaign trail this fall.

“Indiana and America face challenging times. We are a nation at war with an economy on the rocks. In his most important decision to date, Barack Obama demonstrated the judgment to choose a governing partner who is wise and strong and will help him deliver change to a country yearning for it. I enthusiastically support the selection of Senator Biden.

“It was an honor to be considered, and I hope it reflects well on the state of Indiana that a Hoosier was in the running. I am proud to serve in the United States Senate and will continue to work each day to make a difference in the lives of the people of my state.”

Filed under: Race to '08
  1. tired of wash.insiders.

democrats are coming together,but,us independent supporters of barack have been put back out to pasture,BY BOTH PARTIES,AGAIN.where's ross perot when you need hIm?COME BACK,ROSS!INDEPENDENTS ARE GETTING SHAFTED,AGAIN!i guess i can write-in putin.he's as much an american as any of these lo-lifes.

August 23, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  2. james

Barack Obama and Joe Biden
    One House
    One Spouse

August 23, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  3. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I love Joe Biden and he more than brings to the table what we need to win in November. Obama is brilliant in economics and Joe Biden is the best on foreign affairs. Unstoppable.

August 23, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  4. Joseph Adewole

Great!, they should join the trail now and start to campaign for the nominee and his VP; there are other positions out there for them....like Supreme Court and co....Why are they still waiting.?
    God bless you all

August 23, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  5. Down with the DNC

Well.. Obama's arrogance has sealed his fate. He will be voted out in November.

I had really hoped that he held the party and the country's best interest but that has proven to be false.

Biden is respectable. Though Obama's supporters were VERY rude to his neice when she was at my caucus location talking about her uncle Joe. I felt sorry for her and it was the first time I had a problem with the Obama campaign.

He needed Hillary to unite the party and he turned his back on her. This Jr. Senator will learn the hard way.

August 23, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  6. tom

What's Hillary got to say about the pick?

August 23, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  7. Rich

With Biden as his VP, this ticket is so balanced and makes so much sense. Biden brings experience in foreign policy, etc. And Obama brings the CHANGE that America is wanting. With this ticket, everyone wins. America wins!

August 23, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  8. vote Obama or no Hillary in 2012

How on earth do you expect Hillary to win in 2012… when her supported will not vote for Obama now.

Don't you realize Hillary will need Obama supporters in 2012.

And we can reject her as well….duh!......

August 23, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  9. Susan

To fellow democrats..........most likely Obama will lose b/c he did not pick Hillary for veep. He has lost the votes from all our families.

August 23, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  10. Used to be a Repuglican

Just so glad it wasn't Hillary. Biden is a brilliant choice, besides I trust Barack.

August 23, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  11. Veterans for Obama

I got the text at 2am....I was so happy, I woke up the whole house!

Obama and Biden are a perfect fit...together they are a force that can't be beat!

If you truly love this country....VOTE Obama/Biden!

August 23, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  12. Luis

Borat has chosen is puppet master, LOL. Bigger ego and more arrogant.....great pick Dimocrats..............

Biden is Borat's Cheney..........................

America must Vote McCain or join the insane

August 23, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  13. Ready For Change

No, Hillary cannot bring her supporters over to Obama, the reason we did not vote for him and won't vote for him, has nothing to do with Hillary. I like Biden, but he is a choice made from weakness, not strength from Obama. He, like Obama, ran for president when he had no credentials and even after all these years in the senate, only got 1% of the vote when he got out of the race. He just makes Obama look like he needs a babysitter.

August 23, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  14. Enlightened Voter

So glad it was not Hillary! Barack continues to show that he has the brilliant judgment to lead this country and after 8 yrs of bush and his so called 'experience' I think we can rule out mccain's experience. What has mccain done for the average American anyway? No one on any of these blogs can ever list one thing. Obama/Biden as POTUS all the way!

August 23, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  15. TrueBlue

Lets make one thing clear, the people responsible for the McCain Presidency are those who voted for OBAMA in the primary.
    This is not news, he was not electable then and he's STILL not electable now.

For some Dems to abandon real experience for some mythical "hope" and undefined "change" is not only contemptible but ignorant.

When we lose another 4,000 young Americans in Iraq, because of President McCain, I want all those people that voted for Obama in the primary to tell the parents of those kids………"I proudly voted for Obama!"

YOU took a chance and they ………LOST !!!

3rd party 08 !!
    Clinton 2012 !!

August 23, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  16. Indiana Bob

The 3:00 AM text message to the Obamabots was the last straw!! Talk about bitter winners!! Hillary should sacriface her political career to end Obamas. In the interests of what is best for our country, she should run as an independent!!

Meanwhile - PUMA, PUMA, PUMA, PUMA - Vote John McCain

August 23, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  17. maya

Indiana Bob- I agree. Obama seems to be flaunting his self importance. He is underestimating the frustration and anger that has been simmering in Clinton Democrats. Sign of his youth and arrogance.

August 23, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  18. joshua

OBAMA IS A JOKE, WHAT CHANGE??? 2 MORE WHITE MALES IN THE WHITE HOUSE REMEMBER OBAMA IS HALF WHITE!!! THE ONLY CHANGE OBAMA BRINGS IS WHATS IN HIS POCKET. WHAT A BUM! I WAS FOR HILLARY AND SINCE SHES NOT PICKED !!GO MCCAIN 08!!!!! ONE OF 18 MILLION HAS SPOKEN!!! REMEMBER BIDEN GOT NO VOTES AND DROPPED OUT EARLY!!!! OBAMA IS THAT WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT LISTENING TO THE AMERICAN PUBLIC? WE SPOKE, WE WANTED HILLARY!!!

August 23, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  19. Nick

If Hillary and Bill are still intending to support this quasi candidate (Obama) then they should have no more support from us.

August 23, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  20. BK

"Indiana Bob" is there an argument in that statement? Whats your beef dude? The repubs in dem clothing on this site or starting to show...

August 23, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  21. sacto joe

Man, you Republicans and your dirty tricks! Pretending you're Hillary "supporters" and chanting "PUMA".

Do you really think people don't see through you?

But you're desperate, since you know you're losing, and all your dirty secrets will be revealed. So you'll try anything.

You all are going down!

August 23, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  22. strong

Sebelius would have been a great choice, better than Biden.
    She is well liked and has a "freshness" about her (not a stagnate figure) and she is more than able to fit the bill. Ms. Sebelius would have fitted Obama's agenda for "change" quite nicely.

August 23, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  23. RSB

Hillary has already sacrifaced her political career by showing everyone what type of person she is. She made up stories and got caught. Bill has hurt what political career he has left. People don't like being lied to.
    PUMA, I'm a woman and what she does I'm not at all proud of. She may represent some but certainly not all. She had the opportunity and couldn't handle that let alone the presidency. I don't want another four years of turning the channel when the president comes on but if I have to I'll know who to thank.

August 23, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  24. RJ, CA

WOW! Did the slug really have the audacity to text message at 3:00 a.m.? WOW! The is the ultimate insult to Hillary Clinton - how sad - but shows Obama's true colors.

August 23, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |