August 23rd, 2008

Waiting for Obama-Biden in Springfield

A large crowd is awaiting the debut of the Obama-Biden ticket
A large crowd is awaiting the debut of the Obama-Biden ticket

(CNN) - The 2008 Democratic presidential ticket will formally debut in Springfield, Illinois Saturday, and the heat and humidity there does not appear to have dulled supporters' enthusiasm, CNN's Rachel Streitfeld reports.

A large near-capacity crowd has already gathered and the line for the press entrance has stretched down an entire block.

Catch the entire event on CNN or CNN.com/live

UPDATE:
David Blanchette, a spokesperson for Illinois Historic Preservation Agency, tells CNN's Jessica Yellin he thinks at least 15,000 people have turned out in Springfield awaiting the Democratic ticket.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. jt

Waiting for a big joke!

Change! What change, he selected the ultimate insider.

August 23, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  2. Draft Board Calling

Hi,this John McCain,are your kids signed up for the draft yet?

August 23, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  3. Reality

BRING ON McOLD and MITT RUBME !!!

OBAMA / BIDEN 2008 !!!!

August 23, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  4. Enlightened Voter

So glad it wasn't hillary! Wish I could be in Illinois but I will definitely watch it live. Brilliant pick Obama, once again your judgment is brilliant!

August 23, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  5. overseas US

The begining of the end for McNothing!

August 23, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  6. Dee

For the first time in my adult life I will not be voting for a presidential candidate. This morning when I heard about Obama's VP choice my heart sank and I believe he lost the Texas Democrats and I'm sure many other supporters of Hillary around the country. It makes me feel like he's not interested in winning or his ego is letting him think he can win without us.

August 23, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  7. Anagram

Obama / Biden —> Bi a bad omen.

August 23, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  8. Charlotte

What, Obama couldn't get a stadium?

August 23, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  9. Cheryl

Joe Biden is the best possible running mate for Barack Obama. In addition, I am totally warn out with Clinton fatigue. I would like to invite all her supporters to build a bridge and get over it already.

August 23, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  10. tammy

Bush-Cheney part 2

August 23, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  11. Ken

Obama's pick for VP is going to be his down fall. He will not be able to beat McCain in November.

I am one of the Hillary Clinton supporters that are going to vote for McCain, rather than just sitting at home this election.

Obama was to be different and a man of chance, well by his choice for VP, just goes to show America that he is just like any other politician, and will tell the Americian people anything to include lying, just to win.

Well I have news for Obama, he is NOT going to win in November!

He should have picked Hillary Clinton instead of Biden!

August 23, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  12. pam Eugene OR

Wish I could be there!
    Obama/Biden 08-12 Great Choice.

August 23, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  13. jak dracula

NOBama: Keep the change.

August 23, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  14. debkansas

Selecting Biden as his running mate hasn't and never will convince me to vote for Obama. All it looks like to me is a well paying job for Biden and someone who will do the work and Obama can spend his time on the beach of Hawaii.

August 23, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  15. aware

The odd couple makes a pitch! :(

Never Obama!!

John McCain 08 and Hillary Clinton 08! :)

August 23, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  16. Bill From Fl

It should be Clinton//Biden in Springfield.

August 23, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  17. greenhx

For all the women out there that supported HRC and now say they will support John Mcsame, WILL YOU STILL SUPPORT HIM WHEN HE TAKES YOU RIGHT TO CHOSSE A WAY?

August 23, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  18. Ruth Beauchamp

Joe Biden is a very good choice for Obama sVP . This Country has gotten to big for one man to Govern.Biden would be able to take over at a moments notice if anything were to happen to Obama.

August 23, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  19. Brian Gabrielle

Mr. Obama,

I am a long time Obama supporter and have had your back from the very beginning. I was very excited to watch the Veep week unfold and was amazed at the fresh and innovative way your campaign managed the announcement. It was an excellent weeklong drumroll to an historic event, marking your first major public decision.

In your very first and most important decision you were faced with an opportunity.

You could have chosen to make a decision that was all about YOU (your campaign, your ambitions, your character, your supporters) or you could have chosen to make a decision about US (the Democratic party, the American people).

Your decision could have echoed your slogan "Yes WE Can" and include all of us, or you decision could have confirmed the fears of many and screamed – "I don't need you".

I wanted to believe in you so bad. I did believe in you. I KNEW deep down in my heart that you were going to make the RIGHT decision so when you missed the mark so badly I was absoultely devastated. Saddened for you. Saddened for our party. Most of all, saddened for America.

I think it is terrible that you have chosen to alienate 50% of our partners in the democratic party, and 25% of our fellow Americans by excluding them from your ticket .

In making the decision you have, you have underlined what many (including your own VP choice) have been warning folks about all along. That you don't have the experience to lead. That you feel the need to recruit a 36 year Washington Insider.

How can you bash and blame McCain for America's problems being partly due to his "26 of the last 30 years" in Washington, when Biden makes McCain look like a newcomer?

You have also confirmed to the nation that bipartisanship is not a strength of yours. Indeed, how can you unite a government or a country when you can't even unite your own party?

It is sad. Had we all become part of the process we could have changed this nation together, but it is evident now that the only change you are after is a change of residence for yourself.

In a final act of shameful irony, you have chosen to celebrate this divisive decision on the sacred ground of our Nations greatest uniter. You will further wrap up your acceptance speak on the anniversary of another of our greatest uniters in Martin Luther King.

For me that will culminate what has been the "Rodney King" of slaps in the face.

I wish you good luck and hope your judgement improves dramatically, especially if you are chosen to govern our nation, but from here on in you are on your own, as you have made it so crystal clear that is your wish.

Best Regards,

Suspended Democrat
    Hoping for REAL change in 2012

August 23, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  20. politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com

Waiting for obama biden in springfield.. Smashing :)

April 21, 2011 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |