August 24th, 2008

Bayh: Obama’s call was a 'life-changing moment'

Barack Obama called Evan Bayh on Friday to tell him he would not be the Democratic VP candidate.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Evan Bayh, D-Indiana, reflected on a moment that few people in this world get to experience - receiving a personal call from Barack Obama informing him that he will not be his vice presidential running mate.

Speaking to CNN’s Wolf Blitzer on Sunday, Bayh acknowledged that he was grateful to be one of the two or three finalists for the job.

“Obviously, Wolf, it’s a life-changing moment,” Bayh said on CNN’s "Late Edition."

“He had a lot of nice things to say about me, which I was very flattered by. I told him I was honored to be considered… and that I thought Joe Biden was an excellent man and he could count on me in anyway that I could.”

When asked if Obama gave any reasons for his decision, Bayh said he did not provide specifics.

“He just said that they were going to be going in a different direction but he said that that was a reflection on other things than me. He said a number of things that I would sound immodest if I recounted to you, so I’m not going to do that.”

Along with Biden and Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine, Bayh was widely speculated to be one of the finalists to be Obama’s running mate. His experience as a two-term senator and governor from a state that Obama is working hard to put in the blue column made him a very appealing candidate.

Bayh received the call on Friday and said that he called Biden early Saturday morning to congratulate him.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Evan Bayh • Joe Biden
  1. W O W W O W

L E A V I N G--H I M--D O I N G-W H A T -H E -W A S---

D O I N G--N O T--M U C H

August 24, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  2. Mad

Thank god its not him- hes a good guy I don't want him ruined by the campaign

August 24, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  3. Judgment over experience

So glad Obama did not choose Hillary. Once again he has demonstrated brilliant judgment.

August 24, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  4. RJ, CA

The "Messiah" calls and it's a "life-changing" moment. Ye gads! Some people don't have much of a life, I guess.

August 24, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  5. Joel, Honolulu

Wouldn't the life changing moment have been if he was selected to run for VP?

August 24, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  6. PJ, New York Independent

Yes, what a life changing experience! LOL Give me a break... gag me!

August 24, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  7. Ndalio

I strongly believe Obama is a good person

August 24, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  8. Amused In FL

this whole democratic camp is a joke. life changing moment by being dismissed. what a bunch of happy LOSERS!

Take some advice from this happy and satisfied loser – all you dems will be experiencing a similar "life changing event" soon – this time rendered by the voters of America!

August 24, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  9. Fistjab

Thanks for leaking the vp name bayh!!! freaking jerk.

August 24, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  10. Marge

Thank you Obama for NOT picking Hillary!!!!! Although I'm sure she will get a great job in his administration.
    Unless of course she is picked by McCLOWN as his VP choice. His latest ad sounds as if he wants her!

August 24, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  11. jimmy

JUST WATCH FOR JOE BIDEN 'S COMMENTS ON OBAMA DURING THE PRIMARIES . HE REITERATED THEM ON NATIONAL TV !!1
    NOW OF COURSE HE HAS TO "CHANGE" HIS TUNE IN LINE WITH OBAMA'S THEME OF "CHANGE" WHICH MEANS TO US FLIP-FLOPPING ON EVERYTHING HE HAS SAID BEFORE TO SUIT
    THE PUBLIC IMAGE AND WHEREVER THE WIND BLOWS . OF COURSE HIS MEAGER EXPERIENCE AS A LEGISLATOR IN ILLINOIS AND JUST 4 YEARS IN THE SENATE IS NOT ENOUGH TO
    QUALIFY HIM TO BE PRESIDENT OF THE GREATEST COUNTY ON THE PLANET. CAN AMERICANS REALLY TRUST THIS GUY WITH THE ENORMOUS ISSUES FACING AMERICA AND THE RUSSIAN THREAT ON THE HORIZON? OBAMA AND PELOSI LEAD THE
    OPPOSITION TO OIL AND GAS DRILLING AND THE ENERGY BILL
    WHICH THE DEMOCRATS LEFT AND WENT ON VACATION INSTEAD.

August 24, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  12. Dale

OK, he got a personal phone call, and hillary didn't, today full voting rights restored for florida and michagan........ Obama your sneaky man.......I wiush you well, i'll look at the other party!

August 24, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  13. DT

I'm glad he chose Biden all he does run his motor mouth, and he's good at that, and then he gives in. Biden got 5.000 votes and hillary got 18.000.000 so who is the loser?

August 24, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  14. Hillary Clinton

Is Obama eligible to run for president based on citizenship laws?

August 24, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  15. Eileen from Maine

******************************************************************************
    And we will get to enjoy the same thing when McCain picks his VP, especially if it is Romney.. Actually most of the senators have said some pretty scary things about McCain.

August 24, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  16. paul

hey jimmy we need some more wars..higher gas prices..we need to keep our trade agreeements just they way they r yeah jimmy 30 years of republican rule has destroyed this country....every republican pres has run the debt out of control...only dem pres clinton balanced the budget.......did you know that fool

August 24, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  17. paul

john mcain never flip flopss...never....well some times..well all the time..we need another war time pres to further destroys us..............repulicans suck..mean spirited, small minded tools

August 24, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  18. gm

IF SENATOR OBAMA CONTACTED BAYH AND ALL THE OTHER POTENTIAL VP CHOICESDIRECTLY BEGORE ANY STAFF MEMBER AND LET A STAFF MEMEBR CONTACT SEN CLITNON FIRST THEN THIS IS REALLY A POOR DECISION. I HONESTLY THOUGHT SEN OBAMA WAS ABOVE TREATING PEOPLE WITH DISRESPECT.

August 24, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  19. Soldier for OBAMA

As a military Officer in Iraq and a MARINE whatever OBAMA does and having him as PRESIDENT and Commander in Chief will be life changing, revolutionary and a big fresh breeze of FRESH AIR. Election OBAMA is been a true PATRIOT. OBAMA-BIDEN was not born with a Golden Hoff in their mouth!

MARINE FOR OBAMA!

August 24, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  20. Not asleep at the Switch

Hillary and Bill and ALL of her "supporters" can learn ALOT about Humility from this man for sure!!

August 24, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  21. RJ, CA

Hey, paul, how old are you? Gas prices are higher, yes, but they're even higher in Europe - and during the Carter administration, I couldn't even GET any here!

August 24, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  22. Frederick Bazanye-Lutu

Ok so JB said those things about BO. He was trying to be president himself and there may be a few things he did not know about him then. Knowing what he knows now his opinion has since changed
    Those men are going to bring America back from the deeps. The whole world needs this and we are all waiting.

August 24, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  23. William

McCain is a kept man. He's never ben on his own. Someone has always taken care of him. It's been Cindy's turn to support him since he ran for Congress on her money.

August 24, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |