August 24th, 2008

Biden sends video to supporters

Biden introduces himself in a video to supporters in which he heaps praise on Obama and asks for volunteers.

(CNN) – One day after becoming the presumptive Democratic vice presidential nominee, Delaware Senator Joe Biden sent a video message to Barack Obama’s supporters introducing himself — and hinting at his appeal to key voting blocs the Illinois senator has long worked to win over.

“There’s never been anything like it,” Biden says into the camera, seated with an American flag over his shoulder. “This campaign has already accomplished so many amazing things. For one, it’s cut through the old-school partisanship that currently plagues Washington.”

Before briefly summarizing his work in the Senate, Biden first says that he comes from “a big Catholic family with a strong tradition of service.” Obama has had some trouble with Catholic Democrats, most flocked to Hillary Clinton during the primaries.

Biden also touches on his penchant for blunt talk that has landed him in some trouble in the past.

“I know I’m known for speaking my mind, hopefully clearly and strongly,” says Biden seriously, “but I do it on behalf of the middle class.”

He closes by asking people to sign up as volunteers for the campaign.

“My plan quite frankly is to roll up my sleeves and do what you’ve been doing. Make the phone calls, knock on the doors. Talk to new voters and new supporters face to face.”

Though the campaign has already rolled out a new Obama/Biden logo, the video finishes with an “Obama ’08” graphic.

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. willieC

The Demoratic Dick Chaney. Big Change in Washington? Pl–ease.

August 24, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  2. Betty

Remember the Clinton Fraud Lawsuit?

August 24th, 2008 9:09 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    Ron Paul vs Clintons coming soon – you heard it first from National Enquirer

August 24, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  3. I am an Obama Supporter-CA

Im couldnt be happier with Senator Obamas choice for VP. Thats change and experience I can count on..! Wish I could go to the convention.Guess Ill go and make another donation now. Bye the way I'd never vote for trigger happy, out of touch Mccain.

August 24, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  4. Betty

There will never be another Clinton in the white house. We are bitter and clinging to our guns.

We don't want the "entitled ONE" in our white house.

NO MORE CLINTONS EVER

Obama/Biden '08

August 24, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  5. Janice

Its a no go Joe.

Joe we have heard all the old lip service before hope over fear etc.

Trying to sell Obama's old radical ideas wraped in new glossy words won't fool anyone.

The magic is gone, We know who you are Joe and the answer is NO.

August 24, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  6. Wisest one of All

Excellent choice Nobama!! Now even some of the nobamabots will see through your phoney claims of change! The nobamabots who continue to support you will only be proving how incredibly stupid they are. Proven fact!

August 24, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  7. Steve, New York

The Democrats are all screwed up. They're the only party that has Super Delegates. Independents and the Republicans have a simple election and the majority wins. If you don't know how to run a simple election, you obviously will not be able to run a country.
    Biden is looking fo volunteers. I volunteered to be a Super Delegate
    and I will vote for Hilarry. She's my lady. It's a fact that women are smarter than men.

August 24, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  8. mike

Since Hillary is not on the ticket. I will never vote for an Obama ticket. He only thinks about himself not the party.

August 24, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  9. Matt

Arrogance plus pit bull is an arrogant pit bull! And that's how they'll sell the ticket to americans? OMG...what have the dem party turned into? If they loose this election, the DNC is definitely a damaged party. According to me...a proud independent supporting Mccain.

August 24, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  10. Joseph

On a real note here let us think about why corporate america send skilled lobor overseas and imports skilled workers and very little is said about it. Is it because it is done legally? These are jobs that pay 36 to 100 thousand dollars a year normally and we would want our loved ones to have an yet it gets very little attention or mention.

The real question is does Joe Biden support these policies in corporate america and will he tax appropriately those businesses whos strategy is to make money by displacing skilled american workers.

August 24, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  11. JC

Biden didn't appeal to those blocs of voters when he was running for president. I don't understand why people believe he will suddenly appeal to them now? I like Biden, but I don't think people will vote for Obama because Biden is on the ticket. If that was the case, Biden would have faired a little better in the primaries.

August 24, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  12. Andy

Obama picked Joe Biden? The plagiarist? Senator for 30 years?

Gee, real change there Bambi. You just proved you are just another out of touch tax and spend liberal.

August 24, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  13. Edgar - Orlando

I support you and 18 million voters that are Hillary votes not Obama or DNC. We will not forget it !

August 24, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  14. Roger Evans

Sen Obama states that he is Change we can believe in. I for one do not. By ignoring the 18 million of us who voted for Sen Clinton and ignoring our wishes, you are no different than Pres Bush. He does not listen to the other side or the public or anything that would be in the best intrest of the country. You have done nothing to unite the party. I am one of the many diehard HILLARY supporters how will vote for McCain because he has at least had the courtsey to ask for our votes. something you have yet to do.

August 24, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  15. Michael

Obama should have picked Clinton. Biden is not a problem himself.

But Clinton peope are bailing on Obama now that Hillary will not be the VP. Obama will have an even bigger problem if all the primary votes are counted in the roll call and Hillary wins. I hear there will be floor wips to prevent pro Hillary signs and try and keep Clinton people quiet. I find that beyond belief that in American the voice of a people would be suppressed. If it is true, Obama will be lucky to have 30,000 people show for his acceptance speech, let alone 75,000. For all his supposed inexperience, Obama sure looks like an old guard Washington politiican that will say and do anything to win.
    Change? Looks like the same old same old to me.

August 24, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  16. Doris,Memphis,TN

Joe Biden is smart, good looking and has a great sense of humor!
    Americans are going to fall in love with him. I am an African American
    and I have observed this man for years. I have always believed that
    he would make a great leader. I am thrilled that he is going to be the
    next Vice President of the United States. John McCain and his supporters are shaking in their ferragamos!!!

August 24, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |