August 24th, 2008

Biden sends video to supporters

Biden introduces himself in a video to supporters in which he heaps praise on Obama and asks for volunteers.

(CNN) – One day after becoming the presumptive Democratic vice presidential nominee, Delaware Senator Joe Biden sent a video message to Barack Obama’s supporters introducing himself — and hinting at his appeal to key voting blocs the Illinois senator has long worked to win over.

“There’s never been anything like it,” Biden says into the camera, seated with an American flag over his shoulder. “This campaign has already accomplished so many amazing things. For one, it’s cut through the old-school partisanship that currently plagues Washington.”

Before briefly summarizing his work in the Senate, Biden first says that he comes from “a big Catholic family with a strong tradition of service.” Obama has had some trouble with Catholic Democrats, most flocked to Hillary Clinton during the primaries.

Biden also touches on his penchant for blunt talk that has landed him in some trouble in the past.

“I know I’m known for speaking my mind, hopefully clearly and strongly,” says Biden seriously, “but I do it on behalf of the middle class.”

He closes by asking people to sign up as volunteers for the campaign.

“My plan quite frankly is to roll up my sleeves and do what you’ve been doing. Make the phone calls, knock on the doors. Talk to new voters and new supporters face to face.”

Though the campaign has already rolled out a new Obama/Biden logo, the video finishes with an “Obama ’08” graphic.

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. PoliticoMike

I think a candidate for change and a VP who speaks his mind is exactly what we need to clean house. No holds barred, give em the boot, guys!
    I hope McCain picks Romney, cause Biden will make him pee all over his fake, sleazy looking suit of his. Ohh, how fun it will be to watch.
    Obama/Biden!

August 24, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  2. SENIORS

GO BIDEN!!

REPUBLICANS WANT TO:

-INCREASE THE RETIREMENT AGE TO 68

– ENCOURAGE HEALTH SAVINGS ACCOUNTS TO BENEFIT INSURANCE COMPANIES

– STOP COST OF LIVING INCREASES FOR SOCIAL SECURITY

OBAMA 08

August 24, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  3. Sammy in Boston, MA

Yo, Joe!

GO Joe!

YEAH!!!!

Let's get it on. McCain is toast.

– Sammy

August 24, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  4. Last Honest Man

Loser

August 24, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  5. Brenda of Saginaw ,Michigan

First he will need to get Hillary straight and then McCain. There is going to be a loud sucking sound at the convention, it will be the brains of Hillarys crew and they are sore.I hope that he can speak on this and keep the white sheets and crosses in the closet. Be afraid,be very afraid.

August 24, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  6. S. Boatman

Im Glad You Are The Pick! Take It To Em Joe!

August 24, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  7. Lee, New York City

Joe is a big blow-hard that likes to hear himself talk. He plagerizes his speeches and makes off the cuff remarks that are racist and hateful.

Obama's "change" slogan has been de-railed by this choice as his VP.

Nobody takes Joe Biden seriously...he's a lightweight.

August 24, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  8. Ron democrat turned independent

why does en. biden deem it necessary to emphasize his patriotism by having the American flag over his shoulder. what is it with the obsession of the democratic party to prove their loyalty

August 24, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  9. Monica for Obama in Indiana

cnn and politico are spoilers

August 24, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  10. Raymond Duke

I think a bigger story is after CNN playing the game for Obama he now uses them as the excape goat for his slap at Hillary Clinton and her supporters with the 3:00 am text release . He now claims they were going to release it at 8:00 am. Could it be that the Obama camp as usual played the same tactics as they did with the racist and sexist remarks and thought how cute it would be to take one more swipe at Hillary Clinton. This man Obama and his crew just cannot get enough of rubbing it in that the democrat leadership has got his back and he can do as he pleases because all you democrats will back him no matter how and what he does. This Hillary Clinton supporter will not. Cnn how does it feel to be throwed under the bus after being in the tank for him. You know like the typical white person who raised him (GRANNY)>

August 24, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  11. Phil Newton from Murphy, Oregon

Let's go to work!

Obama-Biden 08

August 24, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  12. texas DEM

I like Biden, But not Obama.

Clinton 2012

August 24, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  13. pattipoop

I was one of the Obama-Biden supporters you received this video and boy was I happy. It is a new age, I forwarded to friends and family. Now if some of those die-hard Hillary supporters would get a grip and unite our party we can change this country. Not another four more years of Bush. Please!

August 24, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  14. Ardnuas

This is the WINNING TICKET................Exxon John in his 7 houses and $500 shoes has lost his bearings, he will have us in a war with RUSSIA, and IRAN in his first week in office.

August 24, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  15. Obama08 but...

From what I understand, the makers of the Obama/Biden signs leaked the info all around Kansas City, my mom called me from MO and told me who the nominee was before it was announced by anyone. As for the release at 3:00, that was an obvious kick in the pants to Hillary and she deserved it. She's getting her payback for that "everything but the kitchen sink" strategy. I'm not crazy about Obama, but good for him for standing up to that crazy woman.

August 24, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  16. ABG

Senator Biden is a good man but there are reasons he was rejected by American voters when he twice ran for President.

Hillary Clinton deserved to be VP. Every woman across this country should be outraged at the continued bias against women in the workplace.

Senator Biden also deserves this position but not at Hillary Clinton's expense

August 24, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  17. Realistic

At least we don't have a VP who is $30 million in debt!

August 24, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  18. Debby, NJ

Congrats Senator Biden:
    Welcome to the Obama Family :)

August 24, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  19. Susan

Ron- because the Republicans and McCain have only one loyalty and that is to themselves. They could care less about you, me or anybody else!

August 24, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  20. DAN

Can cnn tell us how many votes Biden got in the primaries compared to Hillary. I guess his wanting to divide Iraq in three is a failure in judgement on foreign policy, hmmm isn't that why he was chosen because of his foreign policy experience. I guess it didn't workout to good for him in the primaries.

August 24, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  21. carl d

JOE ...you the man

August 24, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  22. Always Been 4 Obama

Go gett'em Joe. You are the best pick.

The only thing going red this year is the face of PUMA!!!!!

August 24, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  23. Kenneth M.

The Clintons discraced this country last time they were in office and if it were not for Obama they would do it again. I dont care if he wins or not. Just as long as we do not have to deal with the Clintons again. Bill wasted so much time defending himself that he only did an 8th of what he should have done for the contry in 8 years. Hillary was out of touch the whole time trying to save face. Good ridence to bad rubish. I hope Obama wins but I will be happy with McCain for 4 years. Then Obama can run again in 2012.

August 24, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  24. Denise

I received it. As usual, Plouffe did an outstanding job.

August 24, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  25. Natasha in tally

ok enough with the racist sexist remark stuff. IF the primaries were sexist that was not senator obama's fault and IF the primaries were racist that is hillary's fault for doubting hard working white america and down playing hard working black america.

August 24, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |