August 24th, 2008

Biden sends video to supporters

Biden introduces himself in a video to supporters in which he heaps praise on Obama and asks for volunteers.

(CNN) – One day after becoming the presumptive Democratic vice presidential nominee, Delaware Senator Joe Biden sent a video message to Barack Obama’s supporters introducing himself — and hinting at his appeal to key voting blocs the Illinois senator has long worked to win over.

“There’s never been anything like it,” Biden says into the camera, seated with an American flag over his shoulder. “This campaign has already accomplished so many amazing things. For one, it’s cut through the old-school partisanship that currently plagues Washington.”

Before briefly summarizing his work in the Senate, Biden first says that he comes from “a big Catholic family with a strong tradition of service.” Obama has had some trouble with Catholic Democrats, most flocked to Hillary Clinton during the primaries.

Biden also touches on his penchant for blunt talk that has landed him in some trouble in the past.

“I know I’m known for speaking my mind, hopefully clearly and strongly,” says Biden seriously, “but I do it on behalf of the middle class.”

He closes by asking people to sign up as volunteers for the campaign.

“My plan quite frankly is to roll up my sleeves and do what you’ve been doing. Make the phone calls, knock on the doors. Talk to new voters and new supporters face to face.”

Though the campaign has already rolled out a new Obama/Biden logo, the video finishes with an “Obama ’08” graphic.

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. Greg FL.

Raymond give it a break will ya. WE GET IT. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO VOTE FOR OBAMA NO MATTER WHAT HE OR ANYONE ELSE SAYS.Great for you. Enjoy the loss of womens rights when Roe V Wade is over turned. Enjoy sending your kids off to die in another war, compliments of the GOP. Enjoy paying 5 dollars or more for gas. Enjoy the value of your house going down like the Titanic. Enjoy the economy compliments of a man who knows nothing about economics. Enjoy all that McCain will bring, just becuase your candidate ran a bad campaign and lost.

August 24, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  2. Debby

Did he get Obama's name right on the video. LOL He is known as the Gaffaholic.

August 24, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  3. Connie

I received mine Joe, thanks, now give them H-ll. Lets see Texas DEM:Biden is white, Obama is black , strange. OBAMA/BIDEN 08
    Connie from Indiana

August 24, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  4. APS in Hawaii

I received the video and yes it is was nice. However, as a REAL Democrat, I will be watching the convention for a formal apology from Obama about the dirty smear campaign tactics he used and is still doing. The 3 AM text was not scheduled for 8 AM, only a fool would believe that. Obama better come clean or he is going to lose and he will have no one to blame but himself and the arrogant elitists that surround him. What goes around comes around, and Obama better face the truth or he will end up on the short end of the stick.

August 24, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  5. Elek

Joe Biden is a wise decision for Vice President. He's got plenty of experience in Washington and in foreign policy. I'm also glad he did not pick Hilary Clinton. She could not manage her campaign team well, she was selfish, divisive, indecisive, and didn't have a whole lot more experience than Obama. She came off as a just another politician with scandals and lies. She was very aggressive with her criticisms of Obama, and now you expect him to pay your debts. I can't believe Hillary supporters actually thought Obama should pick her. Maybe she can try again in 8 years.

Anyways, I can't wait to go the polls! An Obama/Biden ticket is one that may actually have a chance to bring about change. Ambition and experience is what we need in the White House.

August 24, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  6. Enough of the insanity

You PUMA's need to get on board as Hillary would want you to, or get out of the way. Change is coming..

Obama/Biden 08

August 24, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  7. Belle2

Every time I consider voting for Obama I just read the comments on this site. Then, I know I cannot vote for Obama. He inspires hatred and animosity. If his 3:00AM text was not a calculated move to give Clinton supporters (not Clinton herself) one last jab, it was a stupid move (do you believe Obama is stupid; if not you believe he is calculating, arrogant, and mean spirited). I believe it was just one more arrogant move (like brushing her off his shoulders). I don't know how anyone could see it differently. Obama and his fans do not understand the word "gracious". Obama is mean-spirited and his arrogance makes Bush look humble. Talk about whiners; Obama fans are the poorest sports I have ever heard of in the history of politics. Go ahead all you Obama fans and call me names. You do not want my vote or need it. Just don't blame the Clintons or her supporters in November. This election is Obama's to win or lose. The Clintons owe him nothing; Clinton supporters owe him nothing. You can do it on your own so go ahead and do it. Then accept the responsibility for your win or loss and stop blaming everyone else and expecting the Clintons to roll over and help you out.

August 24, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  8. Dave from Gainesville

Interesting that CNN's ticker story about the McCain ad, bashing Biden, included a link to watch the ad, and this ticker story about Biden's video doesn't include a link to *it*.

So much for the liberal media, huh?

August 24, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  9. jFA

Find a good place, and stand FIRM.

August 24, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  10. jimmy

AMERICANS WILL VOTE FOR JOE BIDEN NOT FOR OBAMA.
    BIDEN HAS WHOPPING CREDENTIALS TO HBE PRESIDENT INSTEAD OF OBAMA WHO HAS THE LEAST CREDENTIALS AND IS THE LEAST QUALIFIED TO BE COMMANDER IN CHIEF.
    AS FOR WOOING THE WHITE AMERICAN AND RURAL VOTERS.
    WHO OBAMA DESCRIBED AS BITTER AND HOLDING ON TO THEIR GUNS AND RELIGION., WELL OBAMA CAN NO MORE CHANGE THEIR VOTES FOR HILLARY OR MCCAIN THAN OBAMA CAN TURN A DONKEY INTO A PURE BRED RACE HORSE.
    OBAMA JUST AINT READY TO FACE UP TO THE WORLD STAGE
    STATESMANSHIP THAT AMERICA NEEDS. HOW CAN HE FACE UP TO THE RUSSIANS WHEN HE WANTS TO NEGOTIATE WITH AN INTRANSIGENT IRANIAN LEADERSHIP WHICH SAYS SOMETHING
    IN PUB;IC AND DOES THE OPPOSITES IN SECRET.

August 24, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  11. Go Get em!!!

Testing 123

August 24, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  12. No more games!

August 24th, 2008 7:32 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    Now THIS is laughable: "This campaign has already accomplished so many amazing things. For one, it’s cut through the old-school partisanship that currently plagues Washington.”

Yeah – it helped join the democrats and republicans due to the democratic party being cut in half. I guess that I change after all!

I do like Biden but he in no way goes with Obama's message. Did you guys know Biden vote for the Iraq war – same as Clinton. Now didn't Obama repeatedly use that against her during the campaign? Is it somehow now sound judgement? You can't trust this man…

Maybe because Americans care more now about the Economy than the war it's not that big of a deal anymore? Saying what you want to hear? Different kind of politics, indeed.

August 24, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  13. joshua

YOUR PART OF THE OLD SCHOOL POLITICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 24, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  14. no one to vote for

It is amazing to see the blatant shameless stage crafting and narrative making in this political cycle. No one knows the danger of it. EGOBAMA is cast as well as Biden by the ruthless really right wing left wing Geffen Oprah team. Yikes. The psychological sickness of the left and right is more frightening than the entire archive of horror films. Where oh where are we headed?

August 24, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  15. Ann

Shut up.. You have no principles. Was Obama unready to be President or not? You either lied first time or you lie now.

August 24, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  16. RJ, CA

Poor, old Joe - he deserved better than this!

August 24, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  17. RJ, CA

Brenda of Saginaw ,Michigan:

I hope the FBI is monitoring your comments!

August 24, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  18. Steven

Old-school partisanship??? That is what happens to you after 36 years in the senate!! Were's the CHANGE????'

August 24, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  19. no one to vote for

Imagine that no one picked up the sexism in Biden's speech yesterday. He introduced his wife as downright gorgeous, but it was a problem that she was a doctor? The gaff was glaring and what was more glaring, no one picked it up. They also did not pick up the Bush like speak, like we are going to smoke them out. Obama said, "he stares down dictators" when speaking of Biden. Yikes that no one notices such horrifying language.

August 24, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  20. Nevada dude

this is the ticket i wanted. thank you joe for coming aboard. i cant wait for the butt-kicking to start!!

August 24, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  21. Dont buy it

And I wrote him back and told him I was sorry I was not voting for the democratic ticket – nothing against him but I can not stand Obama the fake lier.

August 24, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  22. McCain 08 - Hillary Never!

Obama/Biden don't stand a chance!

Even if they had Hillary as VP, or on the top of the ticket Democrats still couldn't win!!!!

Republicans Rule!
    Grand Ole Party!!!

We'll never let a Woman or Black Guy in Our Whitehouse!!!!

August 24, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  23. WHOO

Go ahead... pick Romney, I dare ya, I double double dare ya.

August 24, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  24. Remy

The video I saw confirms that Sen Biden accept the "CHANGE" of America. God bless Obama and Biden!

August 24, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |