August 24th, 2008

Camping out for the Obama speech

DENVER, Colorado (CNN) –
Barack Obama’s presidential campaign is preparing for supporters to sleep outside of Invesco Field the night before he formally accepts the Democratic presidential nomination before more than 75,000 people.

Obama campaign officials said they are taking steps should attendees pitch tents Wednesday night outside the home of the NFL’s Denver Broncos. One Obama official said the campaign is hoping to turn the speech into a grassroots organizing event, with training sessions taking place while people wait in line to get into the stadium and when they take their seats.

The attendees will also be encouraged to text message friends and families in the hours leading up to the speech urging them to watch it, Obama campaign officials told CNN Sunday.

"We want them to watch it,” an Obama advisor said. "We want to tell them to vote. This is a training exercise.”

Obama campaign officials also said they hoped to capitalize on the location of this year’s convention - they've distributed a large chunk of tickets to voters in the battleground state of Colorado, which has nine electoral votes.

"It’s not going to be 76,000 people sitting somewhere watching a speech,” said the Obama advisor. “It’s going to be 76,000 people attending a speech, and they will be turned loose … for the next 60 to 70 days.”

Gates for Thursday evening’s speech will open at 1 p.m. MT.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • DNC
  1. Caryl in Florida

SUPER DELEGATES, DO YOUR JOB! The clueless electorate never heard of Joe Biden! YOU must know there simply is not enough time for Obama to EARN THE TRUST OF THE VOTERS and there is too much at stake to just hand this election to the republicans! Our COURTS, ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT, INTERNATIONAL STANDING, WOMEN'S RIGHTS.... are at stake! A symbolic roll call vote still leaves us with an unelectable candidate. NOMINATE HILLARY AT THE CONVENTION andObama must agree to serve as HIILARY’S VP. It is our only hope!

August 24, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  2. Iowa Infidel

Didn't realize there were 75,000 idiots in Colorado. Why would anyone camp out to hear his gas?

NOBAMA '08!!!

August 24, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  3. TN for Obama

*MIGHT* McSame pick Charlie Keating as his Veep? He still owes him one.

August 24, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  4. Democracynow2008

I like Obama but do not like Biden who voted for the Bush War In Iraq.
    Obama supported a recent vote in favor of spying on Americans and also agreed with Senator McCain on off shore Oil drilling.
    I still support Obama over McCain .
    I want Obama to be a Progressive Democrat and say what he thinks regardless of what the GOP throws at him.
    When Obama decided to be the candidate of change and hope I saw that in him.
    Why is Obama moving to the Middle of the road ?
    Obama please stand for what you believe in that got you in this race from day one.
    Thats the Obama I want to hear at the Democratic Convention.
    Will the real Senator Obama please speak up.

August 24, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  5. mama4obama

Reply to Astonished regarding:

"August 24th, 2008 9:22 pm ET

I am shocked to discover how a nation who is suffering from the hardship of 8 years of Bush/republicans are still voting for MCain.
    Seriously it must be something in the american water, air, etc.

What`s wrong with you people!!! Fight the ignorance and come to the light… Serously I don`t know what to said… eduacte yourself!!!!"

ANSWER:
    No child left behind....that should tell you all you need to know.

Its sickening that anyone would vote for McCain regardless of party lines. He just doesnt have it. Slitherin snake he is!

August 24, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  6. aware

So, this just another Hollywood moment for the one-act Obama Drama! :)

I repeat: Obama's nomination is a gift to the Republicans because they really didn't want to run against Hillary! Obama's VP pick of Biden and not Hillary is a second gift to the Republicans for the same reason!

And you wonder why the race is so close when the democrats should be winning big! The dems will continue to spiral down because Americans are not as stupid as Obama thinks. And, a convention extravaganza will not help any more than the big trip/big Berlin speech did.

Obama's books plus the Corsi and Freddoso books plus the words of Obama, Michelle, their mentors and friends give Americans quite a lot to chew on. The Obamas are too late in trying to tackle an image already ingrained in the minds of Americans!

Obama never! :(

Dont waste your vote! Vote for John McCain 08 and Hillary Clinton 2010! :)

August 24, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  7. Will, NJ

August 24th, 2008 9:33 pm ET

put it simply obomacrimes.com filed 8 23 08 obama as of yet has not told anybody what hospital he was born in……ever wonder why……..Is this a difficult question i want to know why……….it is alleged he was born in KENYA and not eligible to run for PRESIDENT WONDER WHY THE VACATION TO HAWAII……there are three [3] forged birth certificates……..O BAMA WHAT HOSPITAL WERE YOU BORN IN………SIMPLE ARE YOU OUT OF TOUCH,……

If you would pause a moment from your raving lunacy and went to factcheck.org, you would find people who have seen and scrutinized his birth certificate and found it to be genuine. If you want to talk about releasing things, why doesn't McCain release his military record? Seems a war hero should have nothing to hide.

August 24, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  8. Sherry, Atlanta

HILLARY=DRAMA
    SHE IS A FEMALE! I HONESTLY BELIEVE THAT, HAD SHE BEEN MALE. . .ALL THIS WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED.

A MAN, WOULD HAVE CONCEDED-NO LATER THAN APRIL.

OBAMA/BIDEN '08 – '12

August 24, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  9. ALLAN USA

August 24, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  10. ALLAN USA

NO HRC - NO OBAMA. Let's teach that arrogant, blow hard , bigmouth a lesson he'll never forget. HRC in 2012. Obama just prove himself that he is not ready to be PRESIDENT. Biden going to be President.

August 24, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  11. Linda K.

Joe Biden wasn't my first pick for VP. (I was thinking Sebelius or Richardson.) But after Obama chose him, I started doing my research, and I'm impressed. Senator Biden is definitely not a Washington insider, not in the usual sense. He has used his experience to bring about change. I'm convinced that it's a great team.

I do have another quandary, though. My son's high school open house is on Thursday evening. Should I be a good mother and meet all his teachers for this year, or should I skip out and go downtown to watch Obama's speech on a theater screen? Tough choice.

(I think I'll probably go meet the teachers. When I get home I can watch a video of the speech–not as good as seeing it live, but it will have to be good enough.)

August 24, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  12. Val KY

Someone in the ticker comments wrote:
    "Trust me….Obama loses this election because of you people…Hillary will lose in 2012….."

I think that is pretty fair to say and I agree 100%

If PUMA won't support Obama and he loses, then I won't support Hillary in 2012!

The white house can stay Republican forever. We Obama supporters can play "slash and burn" as well as you PUMA's. And there's more of us than you to vote.

August 24, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  13. Phil

I can't go !!!! I have a Job .

August 24, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  14. mary

Are the serving kool-aid during the training session?

August 24, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  15. arlene, CA

What a wonderful historic event. I wish I was going. I will be watching every bit of it tho. Barack Obama/ Joe Biden 08-12. A winning team for sure!

August 24, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  16. ree

I won't be watching his speech. Thank God for cable, I can watch a good movie.

August 24, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  17. D in Indiana

This is the first comment I have made on any blog about any political subject. Over the past week of reading a vast amount of comments and opinions from every side possible, I am just amazed and astonished at how some of you have chosen to express your points of views.

Since when did we as Americans decide that it is appropiate on any level to "dis", "verbaly attack", "threaten", and "dictate" to each other on any subject??

It seems that one person makes an inappropiate comment, then a person responds by first telling them "how dare they" or "shame on them", then they do the exact same thing by attacking them or their entire party. I for one do NOT understand how this is effective or proves one point over another. Here's one example- "Republicans are killers".
    I am a Republican. I am not a teenager, but a parent of 4 children. I am not rich by any means. I do not like the high gas prices or a number of other things, and I also do not agree 100% on every issue of John McCain(I feel he is a bit more liberal than what I would like to see). But I also have very strict beliefs in other major issues such as Abortion as being a Christian I could never be pro choice. I realize that every person is entitled to their own opinion and that's exactly how America should be. I just feel that I shouldn't be "labeled" as a "killer" and I think statements like that only further the animosity between all the parties.

I also feel I better toss this extra bit in..just incase someone poses this question to me in further comments. My husband is a military man, and if any of my 3 sons or my daughter should choose or ever be drafted during a "war time", or :peace time" I, along with so many others, will be one of the most PROUDEST parents in the nation. If my children are willing to put American(Republican, Democrat, Independent, ect) lives, freedoms, and liberties before their own, then I have done my job.

August 24, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  18. Pat

Hillary 2010! Your Nation won't be here in 2010 if McSame is elected!
    And it will be 2012 before the next election! And McSame will be 76! His senilty should be even more obvious by then as it's obvious now!

What is wrong with you people? Do your minds have an automatic button and it shut itself off?

Why are you all so upset about Hillary? Hillary is not upset! In fact the report today said she was the first one Obama discussed his VP with!
    So where's the snub? She even said she didn't want the VP position!

Were you all American citizens for the last eight years? As anyone who was and is willing to vote Republican for the third time, given the current state of our Nation seriously needs help! Do you think doing it all over again for the third time is going to bring different results? If our current economy, the Trillions sent to Iraq for an illegimate war, the job losses, the housing crisis, the total disregard for military and veterans, our decayed world image hasn't hit home – maybe when a nuclear misile lands in your back yard you'll all see the light and the writing on the wall will be clearer! Thank Heavens the majority of us are wise enough to ensure that doesn't happen!

August 24, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  19. Realistic

Much better than having McGeezer as President. Who wants a leader in adult diapers, who has long ago lost his mental faculties, my friends?

August 25, 2008 04:38 am at 4:38 am |