August 24th, 2008

Dems might counter-program GOP rally

DENVER, Colorado (CNN) - Call it the battle of rallies.

Barack Obama campaign sources told CNN's Gloria Borger and Jessica Yellin that Obama and his running mate, Joe Biden, will have their first post-convention joint rally Friday, likely in Pennsylvania.

That's the day after Obama gives his presidential nomination acceptance speech, wrapping up the Democratic National Convention in Denver.

And it's also the same day that John McCain is expected to hold a rally in Dayton, Ohio. The conventional wisdom is that the Ohio event could be the first public appearance of McCain and his yet to-be-named running mate.

Obama sources say the joint appearance by Obama and Biden could be a good way to counter-program the Republicans.

They also said that one state Biden will be visiting frequently is Florida.

Sources also tell CNN that the presidential nomination roll call will take place on Wednesday from late afternoon into early evening.

Both Obama and Hillary Clinton's names will be on the roll call of delegates.

And CNN also hears that director Steven Spielberg is making a video that will air on Wednesday night at the convention hall at the Pepsi Center in Denver.

The video is about military veterans, and fits with the convention's theme of the night, which is a salute to veterans.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Joe Biden • John McCain
  1. CM

Griff, you may be living out in the middle of nowhere in FL. Where I'm from (Miramar) and where I work (Miami) there isn't a McCain supporter to be had.

Of course I do work with intellectuals and people paid to think so that may be it. You may want to try that sometime.

August 24, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  2. Dan

Pat J., McCain said life starts at conception, not contraception. You go on and vote for him though, don't need ya, don't want ya!!

August 24, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  3. rev.bodhi

looks like the "operation chaos" troops are at it again and cnn is giving them a voice?

August 24, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  4. JOHN

WE NEED MORE THAN A GOOD SOLDIER WAS A GREAT LINE. WE ALSO NEED MORE THAN A POW, MORE THAN A MAVRICK, MORE THAN A MAN WHO SUFFERS FROM P.T.S.D.

August 24, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  5. Moderate and Balanced

Typical Liberal antics. They salute the veterans...not the military as they should be doing. That's because they think they can exploit the veterans who are hurt and they know more than 90 percent of active duty military wouldn't vote democrat to save their life. To be fighting a war and having people at home protesting your mission...disgusting. BUT...it's okay to exploit the veterans who are hurt or disgruntled I guess. Anything for "the cause". It's been bad enough putting up with Pelosi and Reid (and their millions invested in alternative energy stock while we all suffer paying $4.00 a gallon gas)...Let's hope we don't return to the dark years again when we ignore terrorism and they waltz right in and blow us up because the Democrats are playing with interns and throwing money at lobbyist "causes" with my tax money.

August 24, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  6. Bob

Here is how well you can trust what you see on CNN. They're talking about Obama's "elitism" on Lou Dobbs posting a Republican talking point about how he "just vacationed on a private beach in Hawaii." Well as everything else you see on Lou Dobbs, take it with a grain of salt.

Apart from the fact that Obama was committing the elitist act of taking his kids to visit their grandmother who happens to live there (I'm sure in far, far from a mansion). Um, there are no private beaches in Hawaii, as the crack CNN news team should know. And they harp on media bias?

August 24, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  7. tedious898

Obama supporters...you are wonderful people. Its obvious you look at "Character" ...not color, race, ethnicity or gender. I wish you and your families continued blessings and that this country will facilitate the realization of your dreams.

August 24, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  8. Pat J.

Sidenote I would rather live in a struggling economy than see women pierce jesus heart with the abortion issue. Life begins at contraception and Obama doesn't have the intelligence to relize that. If Obama was serious about "change" he should change his position on abortion and protect the unprotected. I beleive that every child born is a gift from God.

August 24, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  9. Belle2

Obama doesn't know how to play fair. The media has always been in love with him. He needs no dirty tricks to get their attention.

August 24, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  10. Greg FL.

Give it a break will ya. WE GET IT. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO VOTE FOR OBAMA NO MATTER WHAT HE OR ANYONE ELSE SAYS.Great for you. Enjoy the loss of womens rights when Roe V Wade is over turned. Enjoy sending your kids off to die in another war, compliments of the GOP. Enjoy paying 5 dollars or more for gas. Enjoy the value of your house going down like the Titanic. Enjoy the economy compliments of a man who knows nothing about economics. Enjoy all that McCain will bring, just because your candidate ran a bad campaign and lost.

August 24, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  11. Robert

All these people that is upset about Hillary didn't get the #1 or #2 spot... Need to get over it and join up with Obama to take out McCain... Because if McCain win its over for women rights.. Plus 2012 if Obama doesn't win. Hillary would not win and She would go down as the person that cause Obama to lose because of greed....

Obama/Biden 08

August 24, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  12. BLESSEDNTX

As a woman I KNOW that the choice of abortion is personal and it shouldn't be the DECIDING factor of who you choose for president. My GOD, my religious belief and my personal decision to bring or not bring a child into this world should not be POLITICAL.

I look forward to the day when this issue will not be a platform in politics. It's personal and it is between the woman and her GOD.

OBAMA/BIDEN 08

August 24, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  13. James

I am so inspired by an Obama/Biden ticket. The democrats will unite by Friday and it's only pestimistic attitudes from those who aren't going to vote for the ticket anyway who are hating. I had my doubts about Obama as well but only because of the Russian situation. With Biden at his side my doubts are removed. This is the best ticket I've seen any party put together in my lifetime. Don't get me wrong, I like McCain....I like him for his service to our country and I like him as a straight-talker but he has made TOO many compromises to the right wing of his party. It was shoot from the hip McCain that I supported in 2000. I don't know this McCain. He will, however, do wonderfully well as a voice of check and minuses when Obama is in office.

August 24, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  14. mook

As a canadian democrat it boggles the mind that Clinton's supporters
    would consider voting in a big buisness, pro war candidate as McCain has stated to be. I have to questions to these people? Do you believe Joeseph Biden is against women's rights?And secondly, Do you think McCain is sypathetic to those same beliefs you admire Clinton for?.
    On a different note, Every single reply by a republican sounds like a Bush/McCain television ad, it's amazing.

August 24, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  15. Anthony

Lets stop being so stubborn fellow Democrats! Hillary was a great candidate, but she isn't the Democratic nominee... Obama is! Lets not be so thick headed and dumbfounded that you feel like you can't vote for Obama because you were a Hillary supporter. Obama and Hillary had pretty much the same political views, and Joe Biden is well known for fighting for womens rights. Its time to come together and remember how you feel about Bush!. MCCain was with him 95% of the time.

August 24, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  16. Vietnam Vet

John McCain and I are both Vietnam vets. That not withstanding, I am still going to vote for Obama. When I told an elderly neighbor of my decision (He is a Democrat), he started bad-mouthing Biden. I swear! Obama could have gotten jesus christ to be his VP and some of these disgruntled malcontent Hillary suporters would STILL complain and insist they are voting for McCain.

August 24, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  17. jo

I don't care if you like Obama or not. Please do not vote for McCain.
    McCain may not be a bad guy. Obviously he has shown perseverance and strength as a POW. However, he has the same key problems that W. Bush has. He is not well educated and he is lacking culture and depth.

George W. came in with the same problems. An entertaining, likeable guy, who screwed the whole country with his ignorance, stubborness, and lack of foresight.

I live out of the country currently. People often ask me, do I really believe the U.S. could possibly elect McCain after 8 years of Bush and all of the struggles we have had.

Please give me a reason not to respond, "Don't underestimate the stupidity of the American people."

August 24, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |