August 24th, 2008

Dems might counter-program GOP rally

DENVER, Colorado (CNN) - Call it the battle of rallies.

Barack Obama campaign sources told CNN's Gloria Borger and Jessica Yellin that Obama and his running mate, Joe Biden, will have their first post-convention joint rally Friday, likely in Pennsylvania.

That's the day after Obama gives his presidential nomination acceptance speech, wrapping up the Democratic National Convention in Denver.

And it's also the same day that John McCain is expected to hold a rally in Dayton, Ohio. The conventional wisdom is that the Ohio event could be the first public appearance of McCain and his yet to-be-named running mate.

Obama sources say the joint appearance by Obama and Biden could be a good way to counter-program the Republicans.

They also said that one state Biden will be visiting frequently is Florida.

Sources also tell CNN that the presidential nomination roll call will take place on Wednesday from late afternoon into early evening.

Both Obama and Hillary Clinton's names will be on the roll call of delegates.

And CNN also hears that director Steven Spielberg is making a video that will air on Wednesday night at the convention hall at the Pepsi Center in Denver.

The video is about military veterans, and fits with the convention's theme of the night, which is a salute to veterans.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Joe Biden • John McCain
  1. Jean

Florida doesn't want to wallow in four more years either. We need Obama and Biden NOW, but we will have wait until January.

August 24, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  2. Stephen

cool........

August 24, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  3. Bryce

I hope hillary supporters will stop whining after she gets beat.

August 24, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  4. Patrice E.

Regradless of the negative postings I see on this board, Obama still has my support. Obama is a good man with a good heart. He ran a good campaign, even when the Clintons (whom I still have love and respect) decided to go extreme negative on him, he still took the high road didn't go negative as he could have.

My grandmother has always told me that God knows and sees a person's true heart, and they will get blessed because of it. Althougth, I was hurt by the behavior of the Clintons and the Clinton supporters, I still hope and pray that both Obama camp and Clinton camp can find common ground on the issues. I love Hillary Clinton as if she was my family, and as a woman, I am proud of her and would have supported/sent money to her (which I have been doing on her website to help pay off her debt) if she was the nominee. I love Barack Obama as if he was family and I support/send him money

If McCain gets into office, he will lead this country into WW3. So please, I beg you all, let's stop the fighting.

August 24, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  5. Dan, TX

Does anyone know how much of a tax cut I'd get over this year under Obama's tax plan or McCain's tax plan. Let's say I make $70,000 a year and my wife makes $40,000 a year. They both say I'll get a tax break, but roughly how much?

August 24, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  6. s.positive

Let the parrots carry on doing what they do best, make noise while Obama Biden heads on to the white house...

August 24, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  7. Raymond Duke

It does not matter to me what the democrats do. After the stuff they pulled on Hillary Clinton my vote and three others in this house is for John McCain. By the way as rich as John mcCain and his wife are I would hope that he might own his major home , some vacation homes and some investment properties. We make less than 150,000 a year and we own our major home and two vacation homes. It is called hard work and responsibility. Welfare just don't cut it.

August 24, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  8. Marie in California

Are they going to re-name the Pepsi Center and call it the Kool-Aid Center.....just for Obama?

NOBAMA!

August 24, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  9. Lydia

Griff, Don't count your blessings too early.

August 24, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  10. Mom for Obama

We canl't wait to see Biden here in Florida. Obama's first executive decision was brilliant.

August 24, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  11. Beth

Bad choice..for women's voice

August 24, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  12. wiser

Senator Obama's first decision was his vice president. Senator Obama blew his chance to unify the democrats.

If he can’t unify his own party, how can he hope to unify the nation?

Senator Obama is not experienced enough nor does he have the requisite judgment to lead this nation.

Democrats for McCain!

August 24, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  13. KMAN

Griff, I believe you may be right ... Florida is a mecca for stupidity!

August 24, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  14. White Man in Florida

Folrida, Florida, Florida. Watch Obama- biden take florida. We are not fools. This year we will not fall prey to negative campaigning. White people are not scared of Obama. We love the guy thats why he will win florida. Watch and see.

August 24, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  15. James Carville

I WANT ONLY YOUR VOTERS, I DON"T WANT YOUR DEBT.

August 24, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  16. McBush - McLies - McElitist - McWorldWar 3

Florida for Obama!!!

Hillary suppoerts that can swallor their pride – for Obama!

August 24, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  17. DT

I f the votes are re-instated for Fla. and Mich. I thinh Obama should bow out or get kicked out.

August 24, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  18. Linda

This a great ticket. I believe that Joe Biden and his entire family will work and support Barack Obama.

I am a lifelong republican mom of 3 who is fired up and ready to go for Barack. I donate, support in every way that I can. We cannot afford 4 more years of this, seeing our hard earned equity dry up, the terrible economic mess and image problem we have, I encourage every-one to work as hard as they can. YES WE CAN and please remember what's at stake. You guys are all great.

August 24, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  19. A.J. in Fla

Two Liberal, Radical Socialist and Welfare lovers "B.S. artists" equal
    Republican victory in November by 53% of he popular vote. Get used to it.

On the other hand shoud the " mother of all miracles" put the Great Impostor and his Charlatan VP choice in gthe Whitre House, it is time call the "spade a spade" and let it be known that Ted Kennedy ( we pray for his full recovery ), the San Francisco values lover Ms. Nancy Pelosi, the lovable senator from Las Vegas Mr. Reid, the senartor from the disgraced Vermont "The Pedophilia State " Mr. Lehy and a host of morally and corrupted politicians have been in power and in fact manipulated the political process longer or for as long as Mr. Obama is alive are not going to tolerate his Socialist/Communistic agenda to take root as they know that the ramificatios will be very grave and by forcing Mr. Biden to the VP post will they have the opportunity to monitor Mr. Obama and in fact have total control over his actions. As an example there is very little diffrence between the Mr.Busch/ Mr. Chenney combo as with Mr.Obama/Mr.Biden situation, in fact neither Mr.Bush nor Mr. Obama are really Presidedntial material and need someone to push the buttons for them with the help of the some of the morally corrupted media individuals and other pundits.

This is the sad state of our polical process.

August 24, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  20. Robin Naresh

McCain uses POW past to hide his real face – adulterous, liar, opportunistic and stubborn

August 24, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  21. lucy

I am a middle age woman and wish to see woman in a White House, but it needs to be a right one. Those Hillary's suporters who decided to vote for McCain because Hillary was not nominated, seemd to act very childlish or maby they have never been a true democrats in first place.

August 24, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  22. ex-Republican for Obama

That's it – rain on McWar's parade.

August 24, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  23. Hillary Clinton

Is Obama eligible to run for president based on citizenship laws?

August 24, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  24. Education is Important

People who spell put "puyt" and you're "your" shouldn't vote. Leave this one up to the folks that know what's going on buddy.

August 24, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  25. mama4obama

Im just thrilled to see that we finally have 2 people who are ready and able to lead this country out of hell. Obama knows that this will be a team effort and he is surrounding himself with the best of the best. I have no doubt that Hillary will be in a high ranking position that will allow her to utilize her talents wisely. If we stick together nothing can stop us from reaching our goals.

OBAMA/BIDEN 08