August 24th, 2008

Full voting rights restored to Florida and Michigan

Protesters voice their concerns outside the DNC headquarters on Capitol Hill in April.

DENVER, Colorado (CNN) – In another bid to restore party unity, the Democratic National Committee voted unanimously Sunday to restore full convention voting rights to Florida and Michigan delegates.

The move, which had been sought by former presidential candidate Hillary Clinton since shortly after the primary season began, was endorsed by presumptive nominee Barack Obama last month.

Florida and Michigan Democrats had been penalized by the DNC Rules Committee for holding their primaries in January, in violation of party rules. Under the initial penalty, Florida and Michigan were stripped of their delegates, and barred from attending the convention.

Clinton and Obama agreed not to campaign in either state and Obama’s name did not appear on the Michigan ballot. Clinton won both primaries in January, and - locked in a tight battle to win the nomination - urged for full delegations from both states to be seated. Her effort failed, and she conceded to Obama shortly after the primary season ended.

In June, the Rules and Bylaws Committee had voted to allow both states’ delegations to be seated at the convention, with each delegate awarded half a vote divided between the candidates based on a formula devised by party officials.

The number of delegates required to claim the Democratic nomination will rise as a result of Sunday’s decision.

1. McCain=the draft

I hope ANYONE voting for McCain is ready for them or their children to march off to war!
    There just aren't enough troops without a draft for what blood thirsty McCain has in mind.
    If that isn't enough to make you think twice, before casting that McCain vote, I don't know what is.

August 24, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  2. Josh

RJ,

I live in a Blue State (MN) and will vote for McCain. What does that make me?

You are an idiot. Plain and simple.

August 24, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  3. NO MORE BUSH STUFF

If GOD cant unify the country how can anyone. Hillary supporters and Stephanopolis are devisive.
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBAMA '08

August 24, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  4. lila

I don't think most the people who hate Obama, on here, are Hillary supporters. McCain is set women's rights back 50 years. Hillary has been fighting against all Mccain stands for her entire life.
    They are republicans pretending to be Hillary supporters.

August 24, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  5. lindahemmingsen@shaw.ca

I hope macain picks hillary as his vp.they respect each other and have been friends.Since the democratic party has gone out of their way to steal the election from her over obama, it would be wonderful if she went for macain.Iam sick of everyone didding bill and huillary they were the best of the democratic party they were in power for two terms and they were loved around the world and you and your trading partners all enjoy peace and posperity. what abunch of fools you have become you don't deserve to stand next to her.

August 24, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  6. Diamond6

I am afraid it is starting to look like Mcshame is gaining on Obama. This country had better get off its butt or the entire country will be taken over by foreign investors if he wins. I personally don't like either and feel Obama made a big mistake by not choosing hillary as her running mate. If I were a betting man my money would be on McShame. There are too many ignorant people in this country and will not vote for a black president. I am afraid its sad but true.

August 24, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  7. Pat Turner Mitchell

I am one of the much discussed Hillary Clinton supporters. I don't support her because of her husband, as characterized by the female, lime-colored jacketed reporter, on your news report this afternoon. I support Senator Hillary Clinton because she is the most qualified candidate to help correct our country's many problems today. She won the most votes in her contest with Senator Barack Obama. When, in this unique country of ours, will each individual vote be counted? In my own opinion, I am not unique in my position.

August 24, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  8. Joy from TN

I read a few too many of these twisted "hate" notes. What is wrong with you people? We all have rules to follow in our lives–politicians should be as accountable as we. Senator Clinton could not be allowed to change the rules just because it was a benefit to her. Additionally, the voting was so flawed that it would have been a crime to count them in full after the fact. Every candidate should have had the right in those states to campaign. Stop acting like selfish children who had their candy taken away.

August 24, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  9. lynn

I think JC and Kim from Dallas are the ones that are strange and see hate in everything. When I read that I did NOT see anyone talking about killing anyone. The FIRST person who I read saying that was KIM. I read the statement as referring to the fact that being the age that these people are now, they were too old to live to see the day when these events would change. The real people I am worried about are people who see everything, including someone with an opinion that differs from yours, as hatred. Maybe we should have the Secret Service investigate them ( this remind me of the Mc Carthy era)

August 24, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  10. lila

AP NEWS – "Hillary Rodham Clinton asked not to be vetted unless she was going to be picked, the two officials said, speaking on a condition of anonymity to describe the private discussions."

August 24, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  11. Randy Hurst San Francisco, California 94121

Neither Clinton nor Obama will get enough votes to gain the nomination. The alternative is 1. Draft Gore with C &O giving him their delegates. 2. Gore picks Obama for VP 3. Gore and Obama promise that the first opening on the US Supreme Court will go to Hillary Clinton if she wants it. This lineup would rub out the Repugs in a landslide.

August 24, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  12. Loyalty23

Afghanistan Hearings

The ad starts by saying Obama "never held a single Senate hearing on Afghanistan," which is literally true. Obama, who is chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee's subcommittee on European Affairs, hasn't held any Afghanistan hearings. The full Senate Foreign Relations Committee, however, has held three hearings on Afghanistan during the past two years, and Obama attended one of them.

McCain's ad fails to mention that his own record is no better. Although he's the highest ranking Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, he missed all seven of the hearings that his panel held on Afghanistan during the same two years, according to ABCNews.com. (We looked through the transcripts of the hearings from Federal News Service to confirm ABC's report, and we found statements that showed McCain was not present at two of the hearings, statements from other senators speaking on McCain's behalf at two more hearings, and no mention of McCain whatsoever at the other three.)

August 24, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  13. Rick

Could Hillary be plotting an upset? Boy would that make Obama look stupid. At least better here that as President.

August 24, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  14. Debby of Florida

I'm a registered Rep. FL voter, and I think FL should not have had full restoration of their delegate vote. A half was what the comm. decided in June, and that was more than fair. But I guess adults are just children with long legs so this most recent decision made the babies happy, I'm sure.

August 24, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  15. PUMA

When it's too late to count. We see through you.

August 24, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  16. So very happy

This is fantastic! Now that everyone knows the real Obama, mabey they will change their votes! It could happen! Woohoo!

August 24, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  17. syl parbe

It seems to me now Obama has gotten all that he wanted (except the presidency for which he is not prepared), the Obama supporters could cultivate a little more political sophisticiation by getting rid of their verbal vulgarities.

August 24, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  18. David CA

The Dems managed to mess this race up big time. I'm on the fence still but leaning my vote to the right for the first time in my adult life. Obama needs to give Hillary a LARGE role in his administration plans or he will lose most of her 18 million votes. Just saying.

Hillary 2008/2012

August 24, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  19. mab

To all of your comments. I am praying for all of you. You all are showing your true colors and hate. May God bless all of you, because you need it.

August 24, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  20. Peter

HYPOCRITICAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It should have been restored before democratic primary ended.

August 24, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  21. Daniel

WOW! If they were going to do that all along then they should have let the vote stand back in Feb...HILLARY WOULD BE IN OBAMA'S SPOT NOW!

What a joke the way they run this party!

I think Obama has done some kind of legal dirty work in every election he's won...am I right?

August 24, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  22. gdouglas

If Americans use their common sense they will vote McCain. Obama and the old boys school of the Democrats appeared to do whatever was necessary to ensure the true leader; Mrs Clinton, did not get elected. Whether Amercians want to believe it or not the leadersip for the Democrats was all about race, and theObama camp made sure of that

August 24, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  23. B In Dallas

Do you really think that all the 18million supporters are going to remain to be fools. Most have moved on But some of you are willing to let "MCCANE de Same" fool... make you look like Boo Boo the fool Go ahead. What about the poeple who did not vote for Hillary in the primary but for another candidate that are now for Obama and the ones like me who started off as a Hillary supporter and do not vote in the primaries but will vote in THE REAL election. People need to come together and realize we have to grow up. And until Hillary's debt is paid off Zip it. Besides didn't Hillary also say her self when she was winning that the FL & MI votes just will not count. A rule as a Senator that she voted on.

August 24, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  24. PoliticoMike

That's fair, reward them for not following the rules and directions. I see they learned well from Hilliary, wine and moan till you get things your way.

Pathetic.

CNN STOP TRYING TO START FIGHTS!! You don't get it by now?

August 24, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  25. louise, SAnta Barbara, CA

Shouldn't they have followed the rules?????

August 24, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |