August 24th, 2008

Full voting rights restored to Florida and Michigan

Protesters voice their concerns outside the DNC headquarters on Capitol Hill in April.

DENVER, Colorado (CNN) – In another bid to restore party unity, the Democratic National Committee voted unanimously Sunday to restore full convention voting rights to Florida and Michigan delegates.

The move, which had been sought by former presidential candidate Hillary Clinton since shortly after the primary season began, was endorsed by presumptive nominee Barack Obama last month.

Florida and Michigan Democrats had been penalized by the DNC Rules Committee for holding their primaries in January, in violation of party rules. Under the initial penalty, Florida and Michigan were stripped of their delegates, and barred from attending the convention.

Clinton and Obama agreed not to campaign in either state and Obama’s name did not appear on the Michigan ballot. Clinton won both primaries in January, and - locked in a tight battle to win the nomination - urged for full delegations from both states to be seated. Her effort failed, and she conceded to Obama shortly after the primary season ended.

In June, the Rules and Bylaws Committee had voted to allow both states’ delegations to be seated at the convention, with each delegate awarded half a vote divided between the candidates based on a formula devised by party officials.

The number of delegates required to claim the Democratic nomination will rise as a result of Sunday’s decision.

1. Erika, KS

What a disgrace and it is absolutely outrageous! Why even bother to hold an election this November and give to Obama already! It is unbelievable that the DNC decides to give Florida and Michigan full voting rights, but everyone, including Obama cried and whined about it just a few months ago. Obama wanted to punish these voters for not following the rules, and now he wants their votes! Oh, I see he wants them now. The backstabbing against Hillary Clinton continues. I will NEVER vote for the democratic party ever again. How corrupt to change the rules so it will favor Obama. Un flipping believable!

August 24, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  2. Mary from Kentucky

obama/biden 08

August 24, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  3. GF

POSTED BY GRIFF
    August 24th, 2008 2:53 pm ET

Yes I too can make Mistake's, with listening to This Garbage!!! THey Cheated like nobody could cheat…… A Hot-Favorite is Destroyed, Just like "Ayala", (THe Thoroughbred)… Just so insurance could be collected!!! This time by the Democrats… But you wont live long enough, to claim; Pelosi and other Democrats… This year 2008, Will Be always known as…. Hate! Hate! Hate! For the Dem's;
    You'r Party as Folded, You just don't know it yet… Sucker's!

CNN I HOPE YOU TOOK THE PROPER ACTION AND REPORTED THIS POST. IT IS INCREDIBLY THREATENING AND OBVIOUS TO ANYONE PAYING ATTENTION, ILLEGAL.

August 24, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  4. barbara

I'm sick of reading the nasty remarks aimed at anyone that does not blindly follow Obama off the cliff as being a PUMA. When I read someone's remarks that use that term in a degrogatory manner, it just shows me they cannot think for themselves and then it is clear to me why they would be supporting Obama.

August 24, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  5. Linda

Florida and Michigan Delegates for Hillary!!! Roll Call for Hillary!

August 24, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  6. michigander

The Democratic voters living in Michigan (and I imagin Fla.) had absolutely NOTHING to do with this ruling. It was all decided by the talking heads of the Democratic Party, who, as usual, had no input when making this decision from those voters of the states that were penalized. I'm not paricularly a Hillary fan, but I believe the majority rule is what our democracy is all about.

August 24, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  7. Brad IL.

This family of Democrats are going for John McCain. Obama is and will not bring this party unity , and My family will note vote for this slick willy. Fire Howard Dean will only help this issue. Joe Biden has not had a good campaign for the White House ever. Hillary supporters vote for John McCain and lets show this party who was there back-bone.

August 24, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  8. Clinton-YUK!!

Will this stop the crazy crying? Will these crazy people pay her bills? I wouyld be so upset if I were a vendor that needed to be paid by this crazy woman. She knew that she had no chance of winning yet she continued to campaign. Her 18 million supporters left her high and dry when it came to funding this messed up campaign. Please go away. No one can unify these crazy people. They are as crazy as Clinton.

August 24, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  9. KateyGreen

So what do the rules mean to Democrats?

August 24, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  10. Syed Shamsuddoha

May I please ask what is John McCain's educational background? I am not interested in his military history or military education or military background, or his being a POW in Vietnam War etc etc. All I am interested to know is: which university did he attend and what sort of degree did he earn. I question how would he, if elected as the President of the US, run the country of so many highly educated people having no similar background.

Cheers.

S

August 24, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  11. Woody

Hmmm. Where have I heard this talk before? "He's too old to be president. He's just a little but mentally unbalanced. You're not sure what can come out of his mouth on any given day. Oh, and he has a reputation for having a short temper." Funny how all the same smears that have used against McCain can also be used against Biden. Nice job, Barack. Way to unify the party. Another indefensible flip-flop. There are two big differences between McCain and Biden, however. 1) McCain would never settle for second fiddle and 2) Biden thinks Barack is "clean and articulate" and if you want to meet an Indian person just go to any 7-11. It's on tape, go look it up.

August 24, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  12. Danny, OH

All this Clinton Supporters thought she was going to win over a BLACK MAN. But who JAH Bless no one can Curse.
    Clinton and Obama agreed that those states will not count but when she found out that she cannot win without those states, she started asking that they should be counted.
    Blacks in America have voted all these years for a WHITE president but when it is time for the opposite we see the complaining and whining.
    I would have believed it if this were to be in a third world country and not in the US.
    God Bless Barack

August 24, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  13. tomiwa

The problems with US citizens is that, most are so spoilt and never faced real hardship even when one is looming. its simple vote Mccain into the white house and gets and deserve whatever comes to you.

Think!

August 24, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  14. Hank Carleton

Dems are saying Biden will bring in the Catholic voter. I disagree. Most Catholics are Pro-Life. He is Pro-Choice. If other Churches in the U.S. are like ours, HE WILL NOT GET THEIR VOTES. Also, what is his stand on the question asked of Obama and McCain at Saddleback? When is a child deserving of human rights? Obama could NOT answer and Mcain said at conception. What is Biden's stand on this issue? He CANNOT be pro abortion and be a Catholic. No Way!!!!

August 24, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  15. Just Me

The only change you can believe in is the change that a typical Chicago politician does when it benefits HIM. I'll change my mind, I'll change my vote, I'll change my church, I'll change my uncle IF YOU'LL VOTE FOR ME!!

August 24, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  16. ET from OMAHA

For all those fools thinking restoring full vote for MI & FL is a slap in a face of Hillary do you the smart democrats want to loose those 2 states in november by not sitting their delegation?
    You want refuge, they give you refuge, now you want to sent out the house owner.

August 24, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  17. susannahjones

How come they can do this after Florida was supposed to be punished for holding their primary early????

Oh. Yes. I. Forgot.

Barack Obama would not have been given the nomination if Hillary had been able to count them and Michigan as full votes.

WOW. Add in the lame cheating caucus system for lame little lamb Obama et voila..... Now he has Grandpa to hold his hand and fight his battles for him as well as the biggest, most obscene amount of money ever to splash everywhere and we end up with a spoilt brat for President of the United States.

This is way worse than G.W.

August 24, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  18. Defiant

THis is complete garbage! The only reason why this sorry excuse for a man is the Democratic nominee is because he stole it by way of Michigan and Florida. The number is now higher. He is not the nominee. Hillary is the nominee in my view and in many other people's views. I will not vote for obama (his name does not even deserve to be capitalized), I will be writing in Hillary's name when I vote. Hillary you need to run as an independent. You would without a doubt be the next POTUS.

August 24, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  19. Ian

Hillary and her followers are just poor losers and are the most unintelligent people I've seen this election. I'd rather vote for another Bush term than have her in office.

August 24, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  20. Ian

If Biden becomes the V.P. he will no longer have a vote in the Senate. It's a good move on Obama's part, use Biden's expertise and get the old timer out of the Senate at the same time. Genious.

August 24, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  21. Nate Hussein

Do you Clintonista's and Puma's really think she has a snowballs chance in 2012…..Really?

Obama / Biden '08

August 24, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  22. Danny, OH

$1.00 per 18,000,000 PUMA = $18,000,000 and Clinton's debt is paid and she can move on.
    They say empty burrels make the most noise and its true. Clinton's supporters support only by mouth and not by action.
    Don't you just learn from Obama's supporters?

August 24, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  23. Molly

To sounds stupid – You ARE!!! WE ARE voting our interests – and the best for our country – it is NOT obama. Obama is an Arrogant, Radical FRAUD – This FL & MI – let's count all the votes – proves what a FRAUD this guy is. The DNC sure made a huge mistake with this loser. A vote for McCain is a vote AGAINST obama and the DNC – that is the goal!
    McCain will take good care of our country – can we really say that about obama??????

August 24, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  24. Joyce in Florida

I can't wait to see what happens at roll call vote for Hillary. I hope that she becomes our nominee. If not, I will vote for Obama/Biden because DEMOCRATS NEED TO TAKE BACK THE WHITE HOUSE. Still a Hillary Clinton supporter. Can't wait to see the results from the Denver convention. Go Hillary!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 24, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  25. 2Nurselady

I hope Hillary Clinton DOES NOT release her delegates. We who voted for her DO NOT WANT THAT! We want our votes to stay just where they are. I hope the Florida and Michigan delegates vote for Hillary Clinton. Now that they have full votes, they can be the 200 delegate votes she needs to be the nominee.

Hillary! Please do not release your delegates! Barack Obama slapped us all in the face and made things worse by not even considering you for VP.

Please stand up for ALL women in this country and stand up against the disenfranchisement of women in this country.

August 24, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |