August 24th, 2008

Obama not the first to inform Clinton

Hillary Clinton first found out she would not be Barack Obama's VP through an associate, an Obama aide said.

DENVER, Colorado (CNN) – Hillary Clinton learned Friday she would not be Barack Obama’s running mate by a close associate and later that day spoke directly to Obama, according to a senior Obama aide and a Democratic official.

The associate was asked by the Obama campaign to inform Clinton she was not his running mate before it was publicly announced. It is not clear what Clinton and Obama talked about in the private conversation that took place later.

The two senators-turned-rivals engaged in a bitter battle for the Democratic nomination, which ended when Clinton conceded in early June. An effort by some of Clinton’s supporters to have Obama choose her to be his running mate failed.

Obama announced Saturday he had chosen Joe Biden to join him on the ticket, and the two men will formally accept the party’s nominations this week.

The bitterness between the two campaigns has been well documented and even Clinton’s husband, former President Bill Clinton, jumped into the bickering.

The senior Obama campaign aide told CNN that Obama and Bill Clinton had “a long, wide-ranging conversation with President Clinton” on Thursday, but noted it did not focus on Obama’s vice presidential deliberations.

Hillary Clinton addresses the convention Tuesday and her husband speaks on Wednesday.

<!–[endif]–>

1. Chandler in NC

I have to ask- would we even be discussing this if Obama was a white man? Why should he consult her? He won the primaries- he doesn't need to consult the loser. Remember a lot people also voted for Obama – does anyone know the actual vote total?

HRC had every advantage- the primaries were hers to loose and she did. Obama built something from nothing- his campaign is still making money- I have not donated but I will. HRC is 25 million in debt- if she can't manage her own campaign how does she plan to run the country? Would you choose a VP who was 25 million in the hole? The Repugs are already having a field day with comments made by HRC during the primaries, just think about the use of her campaign debt as amunition.

August 24, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  2. rodney strickland

i was going to vote for obama but the way he did hillary i cant forget so i am going for mcCain. i need a sing to put in my yard for mcCain

August 24, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  3. LatinosforMcCain

HAHAHAHAHAHA Obama is now ready to surrender!!! John McCain will pick up the Majority of Clinton backer that includes all my LATINOS brother and Sister. LATINOS open your eyes obama is not for us and we can smell a RATON (Rat) Hispanic the latinos in FL, MI, OH, PA, NJ, CT, NM, NV, TX, AR, NJ, CA, are all going to McCain!!!

Latinos for McCain!!!

August 24, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  4. HRCGal

Not even man enough to tell HRC himself and he thinks he's ready to be president? What a PUNK!

August 24, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  5. jawbrkr

Funny how everyone is pissed at Obama for not nominating or even seriously considering Hillary as his VP. I am pretty sure nothing wad promised to Hillary. After all it is Obama's choice to decide who he wants. So what if Hillary conceded. She was losing regardless. She can take her and her 18 million supporters and get lost for all I care. But those 19 million better remember that if Obama does lose this race and it is close, it will be because of them and them only. They call themselves democrats looking for change but the moment their candidate doesnt get nominated for VP they want to flee. Why not unite and support the person that is the nominee and let bygones be bygones in the name of true democracy? Like someone said earlier, if the situation was reversed I am sure Hillary wouldnt give 2 cents about Obama. Such sore losers. I used to think the Obama/Hillary ticket would hav been sweet but now I would hate to see Hillary anywhere near the oval office.

August 24, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  6. sam

hi im from oklahoma a true democrat but i will be voting for john mccain in november obama sucks so does byden the blow hard when you have a dream team going and obama dumped on her he will loose i would bet my best suit on it. hillary and i will be back running again in 4 years against john mccain.ps i will be voting for john mccain in november.my vote will make a diffrance their will be justice done it just takes time.sam democrats lost the white house again out of stupidity to bad

August 24, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  7. keith

I whish all of you repug wpuld stop sending out these e- mail like are dems.yes there are some people that wanted HRC to win but it can be.OB will be the next man in the HOUSE so its time to vote for him and help put us back were we belong.her race was over a long time ago but she stay in to make it harder on the dems.so the money she owe should come out of that 150 millions they have why must we pay for it.

August 24, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  8. Bob (NC)

Obama really believes he's unbeatable.

He believes he can deceive his supporters. He can bash the leaders of his own political party. He can vacation during critical moments.

People don't like Bush because he's "cocky and arrogant". The same will be said of Obama.

August 24, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  9. demrep

ALL HILLARY CLINTON SUPPORTERS, GET UP AND VOTE ON ELECTION DAY! NOT FOR BARACK OBAMA, BUT FOR THE BETTER CANDIDATE WHO DOESN'T LEAVE ANYONE OUT, LIKE OBAMA. VOTE FOR JOHN MCCAIN OR HILLARY CLINTON WHEN SHE GETS NOMINATED AT THE DNC!!! SHE DESERVES MORE RESPECT THAN SEN. OBAMA HAS EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT GIVING HER. HILLARY CLINTON FOR PRESIDENT, NOT BARACK OBAMA!!!!!

August 24, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  10. Chris

I am a Soldier with 17 years in the Army serving my country faithfully. I cannot believe the comments that are being made by some people, I respect Hillary Clinton but it isn't about what she wants anymore, she underestimated Obama, it isn't his fault. How do some of you people call yourselves patriots? Some say that they are voting for McCain now that Hillary lost, maybe us Soldiers should say that we won't defend this country any more because it is to racist, sexist and ignorant to fight for. I have lost two friends in Iraq, i'm willing to bet that you could NEVER if it were possible to look any of the 4,000 in the eye and have the nerve to say these retarded things. Them as well as I would spit in your face. Also, all of the people homeless now who have lost their homes and jobs have no rights anymore because some people don't care, they are I guess comfortable where the are right now. Kharma is alive and well. You old people for McCain, keep mortgaging your childrens future off, you have a tendency to vote against your own best interest. I'm for Obama and it isn't for no other reason but the well being of my country, it scares the hell out of me that there is a possibility that John McCain could be my Commander and Chief. I have been to war twice, just returned from Camp Ramadi in Iraq, this does NOT make me an expert in foriegn policy like McCain would have you believe. POW just means you got caught, I don't wish that on anyone, McCain uses it for political gain. The cross in the sand sounds like BS. I read somewhere about a cross in the sand but can't remember, McCain must have read the same book.

August 24, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  11. Mordechai Bigfeather

I continue to be amazed at how low the lowest-common-denominator in America is.

Hillary Clinton _was_ a candidate. There's always a runner-up. The indignation, despite the burn-the-bridges tactics she used in her efforts to win, the apparent sense of entitlement, the unwillingness to let go, even in the convention that's supposed to buoy the candidate she's now "wholeheartedly" endorsing .... It's inexcusable, it's infantile, and worst of all, it's gas for the Republicans' flamethrowers.

McCain simply isn't a rational choice for someone who supported what Hillary stands for.

I genuinely hope that those of you who wish Hillary had earned the nomination will simply accept that you wish that, write her a check to show how much you wish it, and lend some of your energy to the victor's campaign ..... just a bit of benefit of your doubt that Obama might just be a very good president ... and bring something of your own to the table to help make it so.

For the meantime, it's at least what I wish Hillary would (more unequivocally) do.

August 24, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  12. Ricky White

I think she know the day, after she bow out of the race that she would not be pick, and I agree with the ( future President Obama), change does not come with Hillary. There will be some people that agree and disagree with this , but the bottom line is Obama and Joe is a winning team, like it or not. The people have spoken and come November they will speak again, after this they will be taking the White House from Bush.

August 24, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  13. Travis

Barak owes the so called Puma Queen nothing...if it was me I'd let her

read it on CNN (Clinton News Network)....guess this won't be posted

August 24, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  14. clramsay

Demrep: How can you vote for Joan McCain when he is against most women issues like contraceptives and Roe v Wade?

August 24, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  15. Joyce in Florida

Senator Obama should have been gracious to call Hillary Clinton himself first. To hear it second hand still shows his arrogance. He did pick another excellent candidate for V.P. I seriously think that Hillary did not want to play second fiddle. She is TOO good for that. Obama better do right and put her in an important place in his cabinet. I will always be her supporter and to make sure that Democrats take back the White House, I will vote for Obama/Biden. Good luck Senator Clinton at the roll call vote in Denver. Still wishing and hoping that YOU will become our nominee in a surprise tally of all the votes. GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!

August 24, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  16. Sutter

So tired of listening to the talking heads saying Hillary supporters will back Obama. I am a life long Dem. Will vote for McCain.

August 24, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |