August 24th, 2008

Sources: Clinton to release delegates Wednesday

DENVER, Colorado (CNN) – Hillary Clinton will meet with her primary delegates Wednesday – and will likely release them to Barack Obama at the event, CNN confirms.

Two Democratic sources say the Clinton reception will take place at 1:15 p.m. MT, before that evening’s roll call vote.

"It’s an opportunity for Senator Clinton to see her delegates - many for the first time since the primaries ended, thank them for their hard work and support, and most importantly to encourage them to support and work for Senator Obama as strongly as she has in order to elect him in November," said Clinton spokesman Philippe Reines.

The timing of Clinton’s official call had been one of the final unresolved questions surrounding the Democratic convention, following the announcement earlier this month that the New York senator’s name would be placed in nomination, and the Sunday morning decision of the Credentials Committee to seat the Florida and Michigan delegations at full voting strength.

Clinton had long pressed for both states to have their full voting privileges restored; a few weeks ago, at a fundraiser, she seemed to suggest that placing her name in nomination at the convention in Denver might provide a “catharsis” for some of her supporters.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • DNC • Hillary Clinton
  1. interesting

Still not going to vote for the radical muslim and racist, sexist surrogate who is now his VP.

PUMA 2008

McCain or Clinton .....

August 24, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  2. Northwood

As everyone will make a big deal about this...delegates are always free to vote, regardless of who won them...The Obama delegates could just as easily vote for someone else.

August 24, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  3. Danny, OH

You better do so

August 24, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  4. Republicans hate America

Now what republicans....I mean Puma....I mean republicans? I guess you are awaiting orders for Rush...idiots!

August 24, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  5. Leah DiMarco, Texas

Good that she is releasing her delegates.

BUT WE ARE SICK of hearing about Hillary and Bill everyday!

Enough is enough!

O and Joe '08

August 24, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  6. BJ

Even if Clinton releases her delegates, they are still free to vote for her. In effect, if enough delegates propel her ahead of Obama, she can still win the nomination. How' that for "catharsis"?

August 24, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  7. Erika, KS

It would be a shame for Clinton to turn over these delegates to Obama. Obama doesn't deserve them. Hold your head high Hillary! You are the better candidate! Sorry, but we will not and cannot support Obama after all his bad decisions he has demonstrated. It is clear he hates America. It is clear he is racist against whites in America. It is clear that he calls others' racist when we disagree with him. It is clear he is inexperienced. It is clear he is an empty suit that speaks well. It is clear he has divided the democratic party. It is clear he will sell his soul to the devil himself to become President of the Untied States. Don't turn those delegates over; he didn't earn them.

August 24, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  8. Nee

She leads McCain in the polls and she isn't even running, anymore. Obama's lead keeps shrinking and will disappear by the end of the week. Wow, great choice! What a great year!

For the Republicans. :-(

August 24, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  9. 2Nurselady

Hillary! Please do not release your delegates! Barack Obama slapped us all in the face and made things worse by not even considering you for VP.

Please stand up for ALL women in this country and stand up against the disenfranchisement of women in this country.

I hope you DO NOT release your delegates. I am among those who voted for you who DO NOT WANT that! We want our votes to stay just where they are. I hope the Florida and Michigan delegates vote for you. Now that they have full votes, they can be the 200 delegate votes you need to be the nominee.

August 24, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  10. Robin

Why can't we all play nicely. CNN should have had more respect then to jump on the news.

August 24, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  11. Molly

Well – this Clinton supporter will NOT release her vote!
    I will NOT vote for obama -he is NOT ready or qualified to lead our country – Biden told us so!
    The DNC has forced a FRAUD on us – so we can all CHANGE our votes and vote for our country. McCain is a much better choice – obama – NEVER!

August 24, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  12. S. Boatman

I Can Hardly Wait For Hillary To Give Up Those Delegates! Then This Situation Can Finally Be Laid To Rest Once And For All! . . . Finally!

August 24, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  13. BIG WIG

I am very happy that he did not chose her.

August 24, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  14. Joyce in Florida

Senator Clinton, please do NOT be too hasty in releasing your delegates. Wait until the roll call vote is completed. Why give any of your delegates to Senator Obama? He has dissed you so bad during the primaries. If the shoes were on the other foot, he would not reciprocate. You should be patient a while longer. Jumping the gun on releasing your delegates will not change the outcome if Senator Obama is chosen as the presidential nominee. PLEASE REALLY THINK ABOUT THIS BEFORE YOU MAKE THIS FINAL DECISION. I am still hoping that a surprise during the roll call vote could make YOU our nominee. Always will be a Hillary Clinton supporter, but will vote for Obama/Biden in order for Democrats to take back the White House. Stay safe and good luck Senator Clinton. We still love you here in Florida!!!!!!!!! GO HILLARY!!!

August 24, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  15. Robbie

If Hillary follows through on this, then I hope her supporters do the right thing and get behind the Obama/Biden ticket.

August 24, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  16. Ramesh Shrestha

I am so pleased Clinton finally did what she was supposed to do. She is a wonderful leader a great American who could not afford to lose the White House to John McCain, the war monger.

Go Dems.......Go ObamaBiden 2008

August 24, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  17. Hillary Supporter

I am so disappointed that Hillary has been pressured to release her delegates to Obama on Wednesday. I suppose Obama's Chicago style politics which remineds me of the Mafia finally pressured her enough to get her to agree to this. It took a black man to cause this kind of illegal democratic elelction. If this is the only way a black person can win, then I am disappointed that I am one of them. Obama did not win this fair and square and I suppose the black man knows no better. I am a black person myself and I hope this is not the way we are encouraging our kids to get things in life. We black people say that we are such good christians but we do some sinful and illegal things to get what we want. We use the word racism to get things rather than work hard to achieve our goals. I am really disappointed in my people and as far as I am concerned this is not history in the making because its being done illegally. How we as a race of people can accept this and be proud of what Obama and his campaign did to Hillary Clinton. This is the first time in life that I regret being black because of the actions of Obama. I only hope he can sleep at night but I suppose if you are a person without a conscience, doing things like what he did will not affect him. He says he is a christian so I hope he goes to confession to try and get forgiveness for his dirty deeds.

Anyway, Hillary Clinton is still and will always be my choice. I wish her all the best and I hope to see her in 2012.

August 24, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  18. Emilio

Why all this drama surrounding the Clintons, again? Am I sick and tired of their histrionics? Hey Billary, please take a vacation away from the glare of the spotlights. I understand that your narcissistic natures won't allow for anyone else to appear to be preferred over either of you, but just for now, would you both kindly leave the stage.

August 24, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  19. Destini

Once again CNN reports something as fact that they don't really know.

August 24, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  20. Proud American

Lets get busy folks. Enough of the crying and whining. We need to fix our country NOW while there is any chance of doing so. No more Republican agenda!!!
    Obama/ Biden '08

August 24, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  21. Suffering From Clinton ..... Fatigue ...

Mrs. Clinton ...

I didn't vote for you in the primaries and I have been one of those that has not trust you and your intentions, given your behaviors, following the contest.

With this latest step, I am begining to believe that you are a team player and I thank you for that as a single American.

Your supporters are out of control and your energy to re-direct them is appropriate.

I honestly think that if you had throttled back your campaign after Indiana and North Carolina, and if your backers hadn't tried to paint Senator Obama into a corner to make you the VP ... who knows what would have happened?

Going forward ... I think you can restore people's faith in your honor and integrity and thereby restore your place in the party. Keep doing what you are doing...

As Secretary of Health & Human Services in an Obama adminstrations your future is limitless.

August 24, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  22. Cynthia

I'm glad that she decided to release her delegates. This is the first step for the Democratic Party to come together. Let's hope that Senator Clinton supporters will all come on board and do what we need to defeat the Republicans. Otherwise, there is a chance that we might lose and then we all suffer. The sad part of it for me is some of us are used to a little suffering and will adjust and adapt but can those supporters who are holding out do that?

August 24, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  23. katiec

Am so happy to see Hillary is going to do the right thing.
    Past due but better later than never.
    Now, maybe all this foolishness will stop,

August 24, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  24. Ron democrat turned independent

let's see if her delegates are really behind her

August 24, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  25. Sophie

Robbie, blindly accepting Obama is not "the right thing." The Obama nomination is a travesty against Democracy. Just because someone gives you a tingle up your leg does not make them fit to run the country.

August 24, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |