August 24th, 2008

Sources: Clinton to release delegates Wednesday

DENVER, Colorado (CNN) – Hillary Clinton will meet with her primary delegates Wednesday – and will likely release them to Barack Obama at the event, CNN confirms.

Two Democratic sources say the Clinton reception will take place at 1:15 p.m. MT, before that evening’s roll call vote.

"It’s an opportunity for Senator Clinton to see her delegates - many for the first time since the primaries ended, thank them for their hard work and support, and most importantly to encourage them to support and work for Senator Obama as strongly as she has in order to elect him in November," said Clinton spokesman Philippe Reines.

The timing of Clinton’s official call had been one of the final unresolved questions surrounding the Democratic convention, following the announcement earlier this month that the New York senator’s name would be placed in nomination, and the Sunday morning decision of the Credentials Committee to seat the Florida and Michigan delegations at full voting strength.

Clinton had long pressed for both states to have their full voting privileges restored; a few weeks ago, at a fundraiser, she seemed to suggest that placing her name in nomination at the convention in Denver might provide a “catharsis” for some of her supporters.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • DNC • Hillary Clinton
  1. mad at Obama

Hilary you should not have release anyone.. Obama is a fraud I have never voted republican in my life and will not vote republican this year..
    I will write your NAME big as life and I ask all of the 18,000,000 who voted for you to do the same. Voting should reflect our heart and Obama stands only in th bottom of my A.......FOREVER DEMOCRAT FOREVER FOR HILARY

August 24, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  2. jFA

Find a good place, and stand FIRM.

August 24, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  3. Tell It Like It Is

LEMMINGS. SIMPLY NOTHING SHORT OF LEMMINGS.

OF COURSE THEY ARE ON BOTH SIDES OF THE POLITICAL ARENA

August 24, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  4. Enough of the insanity

All the Rush Operation Chaos posters on this blog are awful. Their posts stick out like a sore thumb pretending to be bitter Hillary supporters and ugly Obama supporters. You folks are done. Change is coming and Hillary is on board and will have a place in Obama's adminstration.

Obama/Biden 08
    Hillary Clinton Secy of Health and Human Services

August 24, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  5. PUMA-Jessie

This is being the good soldier. She can not give the impression that she is hurting his chances at winning and maybe losing some of that support that will be needed to win in 2012. Remember in the primary season she believed that he was a loser and that still is a fact. He is a loser and even before the Republican attack machine has started, McCain leads in a few polls and is tied in most. I hope her delegates hold for the first roll call as it will be close, but she will lose. He has enough to win. If they the try to make her look bad, Obama will further split the party. She will not take a cabinet position as she will become a power in the senate.

August 24, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  6. NH Mom

Hillary you have been way too gracious to Mr. Obama.

I am so disappointed with the Democratic party this year. I am casting my vote for Clinton.

August 24, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  7. Ann

Alice Newman Center Harbor NH

Correction: A vote for McCain is a vote AGAINST every thing Senator Clinton believes in and has worked for …

So?

August 24, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  8. Peter

I am so disappointed to hear this, but it's not going to make me vote for Obama.

McCain 08!

August 24, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  9. Sherry in Kentucky

I hope the Hillary faithful don't put themselves in the position of being reviled like the Ralph Nader voters of 2000. I have suppored Barack from the beginning, and was very angry at Hillary at points in the campaign, but I have let it go. I would not have been upset if he had picked her for VP. I hope these folks wake up in time and see how the Republicans are trying to use them.

August 24, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  10. Ethan

I have to say, I watched CNN for years; since the beginning of this recent election primary, they have made it quite clear that they side with Hillary. This was fine during the primary because one expects an American news network to be bias twoards one candidate or another. But MONTHS after the primary is over, they still beat the drum for Clinton and pals, they continue to perpetuate the divide and pick the scab on old wounds that should have been healed by now. No other network is continuing this kind of "Poor Clinton and her smote supporters" kind of news to the volume CNN is. It's ridiculous and sad and so many people see through it. Please cut the crap CNN so we can move on. I've already given up on you as a viewer and more are following daily.

August 24, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  11. Tyler

Hillary...Keep your delegates! Obama does not deserve them. Especially the ones who don't text message, or have email readily available at their fingertips...or the ones who work the night shift, or even 2 jobs.

I can't believe the way this election season has panned out...it was set up to be one of the most exciting in history. Instead we have nominated an arrogant, non-specific, inexperianced, rich boy from the ritzy side of chicago to represent our party in November, because Oprah Said so. There is no way Obama is winning this. He had a shot by asking Hillary to join him, he he wouldn't even put his ego aside. Hes not winning without the Clinton 18 Million.

August 24, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  12. JP

I have tried to respect PUMA"S argument, but most of thier post are just ridiculous. You can criticize Obama all you like, but the reality is he beat the Clintons at thier own game on their turf. Hillary's name being added to the roll call is just a formality. Any attemp to derail Obama's nomination will not be supported. What do you think the thousands of Obama supporters who will be at the convention will do when you rant and rave? You keep going on about Hillary2012, but you forget she would need our support. Hillary understands this. The only person your antics will hurt will be Hillary.

August 24, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  13. Brenda

She played out of the rules when all the others follow them. Why are you crying... Cheat not enough, peter paul vs clinton

August 24, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  14. duck47

Did you Obama fanatics learn nothing from the John Edwards "surprise"? Back off before you find yourself with egg on your face!

August 24, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  15. JImmy in California

Hillary and Obama supporters please realize that you all are strong believers in your candidate and that is good but you all are supposed to be Democrats first. Now as much as many of you hate that Obama won or you dislike the manner in which he won, it is time now to be ONE DEMOCRATIC PARTY and support the chosen candidate of the party. For us to fight now instead of being unified will only put the Republicans back in office for 4 more years of George Bush and either into a cold war or shooting war with Russia. You must remember that McCain is a military man who sees only one way to resolve a problem. Victory at all cost is his way. It is his way or no way. Remember that. NOW COMETOGETHER AS ONE DEMOCRATIC PARTY AND TAKE BACK THE WHITE HOUSE.

August 24, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  16. Leah DiMarco, Texas

A true Hillary supporter would NEVER vote for McCain.

Obama/O'Biden '08

August 24, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  17. Brian (black in VA)

90% of the American people have already decided who they will vote for because of the issues and policies of the candidates. The other 10% will decide who will be president, and basically, it will become a popularity contest. After reading some of these comments from the "undecideds", WE ARE DOOMED. Some of you are idiots. The rest of you hope to be one day.

August 24, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  18. Michele

I blame the media first and the Clintons second for this nonsense. How on earth can anyone claim to be a Clinton supporter and share her democratic values and then vote for McCain or stay at home???!!! Where is the maturity level? These people can't be real Democrats?? What is this really about?? I can't imagine anything that could make me turn my back on my party. I stood by Bill Clinton when he lied to all of us about Monica Lewinsky and got himself impeached!! Why would I turn my back on my party now. What is wrong with you people. Are you all now pro-life, war hungry, rich people who don't believe that government has a responsibility to it's poor and weak. Get a grip!! Forget Obama and Hillary!! Stand up and be a DEMOCRAT!!!!

August 24, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  19. Carole in Canada

I would like to know if OBAMA is going to introduce the world to the rest of his family The ones who live in swaller in a third world country. I was appalled to read the same day that The Obamas earned 4 million dollars last year then seeing his 1/2 brother interviewed on CNN. This young man walked down a dirt rode and welcomed a reporter into his tin and wood shed he calls home THIS IS THE 1/2 BROTHER OF THE MAN YOU PEOPLE WANT TO PUT IN THE WHITE HOUSE; and you expect him to do something about the poor and poverty in your own country I am disgusted!! NOT for one minute do I believe this man cares anything about any of you,.my God his own flesh and blood is ignored and denied the chance of a good life in the USA!!!!

Hillary don't release your delegates to a hypocrite!!!!

August 24, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  20. Bell

Hello all you fellow Americans. Because CNN dosen't print out what I type I guess I can say anything I want to. For all of Senator Clintons supportors that are voting for Senator McCain and for all of Senator McCain supportors-Take all of the information about your children with you. You can save time y signing them all up for the draft while you are voting for someone that is still trying to getr even for having been a prisoner of war. Be sure to take a world map to him so he knows where the borders are and the correct name of the next country your children will be fighting in.

August 24, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  21. Mark NH

CNN- I have noticed you have based many stories on "sources". Could these "sources" be propaganda artists from the Obama camp?

August 24, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  22. Preston

Leah –

O and Joe

I like it!

August 24, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  23. James

Hillary would have been the reason for me to change my vote, but no more. Also, I certainly give no value to CNN for not keeping their word by lying to the Borrack Hussein Obama Democratic team. I personally get more pleasure and honor from typical news media like the Enquirer – shame on you CNN.

August 24, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  24. Copperfield

I'm glad she's made this choice. Hopefully we can move forward as a united party.

Obama and Hillary share 95% of their views.

McCain and Bush share 95% of their views.

August 24, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  25. Carole in Canada

Now that Florida and Michigan get full vote shouldn't Hillary be declared the winner She won both states back in January!!!!!!!!!!!

August 24, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |