August 25th, 2008

Castellanos: It’s a liberal Democratic party tonight

The Democratic speakers tonight are more liberal than mainstream America, Castellanos says.

Senator Kennedy's speech is going to be one of the highlights of the evening if not the entire Democratic Convention.

But it also demonstrates one of the challenges facing Barack Obama.

Tonight, America is hearing from the national Democratic Party - House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, former President Jimmy Carter, Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr, Ted Kennedy, a group considerably farther left of center than mainstream America.

They are not change. They are classic, old school "make Washington bigger" Democrats.

When Obama won the nomination, change ran into the national liberal Democratic establishment. So far, as we can see tonight, the national Democratic Party has won.

Let's see if the Obama campaign chooses to reverse that and regain the mantle of change this week.

1. Michael Sheridan, Sacramento

It's funny that this comes only two stories after the comment from David Gergen commenting that it was strange that Carter hadn't been given a speaking role. Clearly, Castellanos had a slam prepared in advance and never bothered to modify it based on facts. Unsurprising.

August 25, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  2. Karen B

If Obama didn't have the party elders and leaders speak he would be accused of not giving due respect. It has nothing to do with who is liberal or not.

August 25, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  3. Phil

I think they are focusing on unifying the party base first then as the nights go on will move further and further center to attract independent voters.

August 25, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  4. Franky

Ohh and by the way, I can't wait when Conservatives talk about Senator McCain......is like a match made in heaven.....and by the way, every GOP household feels the same....TRUST ME! LOL!!!

Is like watching a sports game when all of a sudden, they change it to "American I dol", LOL!!!

Ohh, I can't wait!!

August 25, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  5. Terry from GA

My comment is to all of the people who have posted negative comments. If the convention is so bad why are you watching it?

August 25, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  6. CC, VA

Franky, "YOUR soldiers"?!
    Wow. Whatever your party alignment, please remember that those brave men and women are protecting your right to sit in a cozy living room and armchair quarterback on the CNN Political Ticker. They're your soldiers too.

August 25, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  7. Charlotte

I don't want to hear or see any of the speakers tonight. I do not plan to watch. The only jerk missing is Dean. The Dumb Nuts Committee and Michelle e-mailed me, I deleted and reported it as spam.

August 25, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  8. MARTY MCCLAIN

IS THIS A DEMOCRATIC CONVENTION OR AN OBAMA FAMILY REUNION

August 25, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  9. C-SPAN this whole week!

While CNN and MSNBC compete for ratings while eating off of the flesh of the DNC please note: We are all watching C-SPAN. We do NOT want to hear your opinion of the convention and create DRAMA for ratings.

CNN and MSNBC = DRAMA for Ratings

August 25, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  10. Jim

I don't understand Chuck's post, Yes Ted Kennedy is a very wealthy but does it really matter if a rich guy or a poor guy is advocating giving health care to those who are not fortunate enough to have it.

As far as New Democrats getting a chance to speak the convention is 4 or 5 days long with a hundred or more speakers total, and not every speech is televised which by the way is not up to the party but the networks.

August 25, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  11. Anon.....

"CHANGE that we can believe in" would be seeing HILLARY on the ticket. Obama had a chance to make history – and he chose otherwise.

Now, he'll be lucky to get elected without Hillary's loyal supporters who make up nearly 50%.

August 25, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  12. Proud Democrat

Let's see what you will say about your extreme republicans next week, Alex. The party of Rush Limbaugh, Shawn Hanity and hate. Wrong Message, these folks are fighting for causes while your party misleading us to a war for profit. Peace

August 25, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  13. TJ

Democrats = Liberal, if you don't know that by now then you're a fool

August 25, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  14. cackcon

Liberals take center stage in Denver? Tell me something we don't already know.

Obama has been trying to outrun liberalism since he wrapped up the nomination in June. When will he look down and realize it's actually his shadow?

August 25, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  15. Matthew H

It's bathroom breaks.

I'm completely serious.

Senator Kennedy makes an awesome speech, and 15 minutes later, Tom Harkin and Jim Leech speaks. That's how long it takes for everybody to get to the bathroom and get back to their seats.

Think of it like halftime.

August 25, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  16. dittohead with forty names

I like to make you think there are more people here who are for McCain,I cant tell you I get paid to blog by Rush. I love Rush Limbaugh,he is my idol and mentor and fills my head with all the things I need to know in life,like all Liberal are crazy and Global warming is a left wing hoax.

August 25, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  17. Vicky

I strongly feel that Obama won't be leading America as our next president. But the soap opera was nice between him and Hillary.

August 25, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  18. Rick In Az

As an Independent voter, I simply can't understand why republicans seem to be so vocal. Their party now has us in debt to China over 5 TRILLION dollars.

So, I'll be voting Democratic this time around. Heck, I'll vote Santa Claus before I vote Republican. And by the way, Whoever the next president is, Our taxes will be raised. As stated above, since we owe China 5 TRILLION dollars and I don't see them telling the US that we don't have to pay it back. That means that one way or another the debt will have to be paid so, either we start doing it now or our kids and their kids will be paying it. So I don't care how LIBERAL the Democrats sound or, who speaks and in what order. As long as it's not a republican offering nothing but bluster.

August 25, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  19. Ben

Biased comments are not news. Let us decide for ourselves what is happening. Why does CNN keep talking over convention events??????

August 25, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  20. tisha

I don't know what is worse the stupid stories cnn post or the stupid comments posted on here.

August 25, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  21. Don Dimmick

The only diference between those you name as establishment liberals and Barack Hussien Obama is that he and his gang are even further left!. Socialist or Communist are the names that comes to mind when Barack talks about redistribution of the county"s wealth.
    He is the most unqualified cantidate that I have ever seen in my 71 years!

August 25, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  22. To Terry from GA

We're not watching anymore.

Jon and Kate plus 8 just started.

August 25, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  23. Texas Witch Twister

The four speakers are like OBAMA. An obomination to the nation. All four should be banned from public office.

August 25, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  24. donmcybertect

The republicans keep claiming that the Dems are socialists. What could be more socialist that the corporate bailouts and welfare for big oil and the banking system? Use OUR money to help corporations make bigger profits at our expense. Now THAT'S socialism!!

August 25, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  25. R Wolf

I wish all you pundits would shut up and let the Democrats have their week and their say. You constantly interrupt, put in your own beliefs and just make it impossible to watch the proceedings. We don't want to hear from you. We want to hear from the speakers. So, butt out!!!

August 25, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |