August 25th, 2008

Castellanos: What Michelle Obama needs to do

Michelle Obama has a tough task ahead of her.
Michelle Obama has a tough task ahead of her.

Michelle Obama is going to attempt to give us a more intimate view of her husband when she addresses the Democratic National Convention tonight.

That's sometimes difficult with political leaders like Barack Obama and Ronald Reagan whose strength is stature not intimacy.

It doesn't keep them from being president. But that stature keeps them emotionally distant from us. Obama has a bit of that emotional teflon that Reagan had too.

Let's see if Michelle Obama can penetrate it tonight.

1. Sharon

Stay on script or she will get thrown under the bus. I'm sure she can read.

August 25, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  2. Martha

Michelle has already committed political suicide. Nothing she says tonight will erase her earlier comments. She comes off as an unlikeable person, way out of touch with mainstrean America. What ever happened to honest people who say what they mean and don't have to constantly back track and explain what their words meant? This whole ticket is based on the premise that we Americans are really, really stupid. The final vote will tell.

August 25, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  3. silas

I believe she can . She is a strong woman and she knows how to drive her message home.

I'm proud to be a democrat today.

August 25, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  4. Linda31

I had the great fortune to hear Michelle Obama speak live and she will be phenomenal tonight. I have no doubt!

August 25, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  5. Joe

I hope she doesn't get too ambitious at trying to help people. Just look at Hillary to see that no one likes an ambitious person. And you can't ever win.

They want you to shut up. But they want you to force your supporters to vote their way.

You aspire to greater levels to better shape policy for the public. But then the public wants you to know your place.

You give your entire life to public service. But then told to go away because the career move you want to make is a selfish move.

You do your best as First Lady and as a Senator and they love you. But when you're no longer flavor of the month, they discard you like used tissue.

I hope Michelle fares better. Because this country has a short memory and can be very cruel.

August 25, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  6. stan

Oboma is no Ronald Regan
    Don't even attempt to compare the two men.

August 25, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  7. Independent-Latina-for-OBAMA

Michelle IS beautiful, and I know she is REAL. That's what we need, plain and simple. REAL. Authentic.

God bless you, Michelle, we will be watching and praying that America will open its hearts to you!

August 25, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  8. Democrat for McCain

Michelle Obama needs to apologize for her unpatroitic remarks she's made in the past. She has a long ways to go before the majority of the American public will believe she can ever be a patroitic first lady.

I've never voted Republican before until this election. At least two other Democrats in my office are also voting for McCain over Michelle and Barrack. Obamas for America. I think not.

August 25, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  9. NOBAMA 2008

She needs to say exactly opposite of who and what she really is, because if she is truthful, people will realize just how hateful and bitter she really is.

August 25, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  10. S Callahan

Michelle is my girl and with God's grace she will shine like his rainbow...she is honest, forthright , and has nothing to hide. Tell it like it is. I love her strength and resilence!

August 25, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  11. Sig, Los Angeles CA

Huh... a Republican strategist trying to tell Michelle what she needs to do? LOL... McCNN!

August 25, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  12. maty

CNN is corrupt media right alongside of MSNBC.

My solid choice was Hillary Clinton and now I will vote McCain. cOUNT THAT ONE IN YOUR STUPID POLL!

August 25, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  13. jeanette from Charlotte

I'll tell you what CNN needs to do... stop spending all the convention time talking about the Clintons!
    This IS Obamas convention and we're not hearing anything about him at all!

August 25, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  14. larry

unlike too many Americans I will focus on the issues and not what mistake if made, we get what we deserve and that sometimes is not the best leader.

August 25, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  15. Terry

She needs to do nothing. I am happy with just being herself. I wish them all well.

August 25, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  16. jimmy

CNN FOR ALL THOSE WHO WATCH THE PANDERING MAJOR NETWORKS WHO WOULD NOT PEEL OFF OBAMA'S ONION SKIN
    RHETORIC AND DISSECT ITS CONTENT AND SUBSTANCE,
    IS THE ONLY REALLY INDEPENDENT NETWORK WORTHY OF ITS NAME...CNN'S LOU DOBBS (PANDERING MOST CERTAINLY NOT)
    IS ABOUT THE MOST INDEPENDENT NEWS ANCHOR AND ANALYST . HE GETS PANELISTS ON HIS SHOW WHO DISAGREE WITH HIM AND THAT IS WHAT IS GOOD ABOUT HIS SHOW.

August 25, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  17. California Gold

I believe Michelle Obama would be a wonderful First Lady.

August 25, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  18. Erika, KS

OMG! I could care less what wives have to say. You think she's not biased?

From all I read on this blog from the Obama fan club, if we were to listen to spouses to form our opinions on whom to vote for, then there's no way in hell Bill Clinton (remember those good old days when the economy was humming right along?) would have been elected because you all hate anyone that isn't Obama, and you especially hate Hillary Clinton, the spouse.

She's not credible.

August 25, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  19. Sarah

@Reality Check

Hillary a helpless southern belle??!!!!!! In whose dreams?

August 25, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  20. Lou R

The Republican Party and McCain attack dog mouths are out in full force espousing the day's talking points and otherwise meddling in the DNC convention business. This is a major admission of desperateness within the McCain negative no-basis campaign. The disingenuous mutterings are beyond belief as they look to drive a wedge within the Clinton group of supporters. The are devoted persons, not dumb or stupid persons as the majority completely understand McCain stands for the exact opposite of what Hillary Clinton stands for. I suspect this will turn out to be another non-traction gaining issue and one that will only add to the dismay within the Rovian minion driven campaign strategy.

August 25, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  21. Terry from GA

Michelle doesn't have to do anything but tell the truth and let her "down to earth" personality shine.

August 25, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  22. Erika, KS

Oh, Joe, I beg to differ, or is that the same reason you Hillary Clinton haters hate her because she's a strong intelligent woman?

You can't have it both ways! Love Michelle because she's strong and intelligent, but hate Hillary Clinton for the same reason?

Not logical.

August 25, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  23. Sherry, Atlanta

MICHELLE IS A BEAUTIFUL, AND VERY VERY SMART WOMAN.
    SHE JUST NEEDS TO BE HERSELF. . .

THE OBAMA'S/THE BIDEN'S '08 – '12

August 25, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  24. No longer a democrat

Please show me the beauty in Michelle Obama. I really don't see it. If Obama was not her husband you all will be saying something different. As far as I am concerned she is insignificant as a person.

You democrats are so hyprocritical. I cant see how you can change your support from a great candidate to a flip flopper. I feel my self respect is more than a democrat party so therefore my support stays with Hillary Clinton.
    this is not real support because you are supporting him because he is a democrat. For all you know he could be the biggest crook around but because he is a democrat you will vote for him and forget your support to the rightful winner who is Clinton. I am sorry that Clinton was pressured to do what she has done but I suppose it had to happen but I am still disappointed.

August 25, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  25. Thi, California

O.K., Obama said leave my wife alone and then ask his wife to campaign for him.

Obama bahaved as he would select Senator Clinton to be his running mate, that made Clinton's supporters calmed down, then nothing was happened. Obama behaved as he would help to solve Clinton's financial problem. Again, hat made Clinton's supporters calmed down, then nothing was happened.

Obama knows how to use people, that is great skills that he got, and that can made him a ?good? president.

It seems that Obama already own CNN. Any comments against Obama will be deleted. To prove that you are not bias, post this message -:)

August 25, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |