August 25th, 2008

Castellanos: What Michelle Obama needs to do

Michelle Obama has a tough task ahead of her.
Michelle Obama has a tough task ahead of her.

Michelle Obama is going to attempt to give us a more intimate view of her husband when she addresses the Democratic National Convention tonight.

That's sometimes difficult with political leaders like Barack Obama and Ronald Reagan whose strength is stature not intimacy.

It doesn't keep them from being president. But that stature keeps them emotionally distant from us. Obama has a bit of that emotional teflon that Reagan had too.

Let's see if Michelle Obama can penetrate it tonight.

1. MonaLisa

I am proud of Michelle, she is lovely, articulate and and poised. (The new Jackie Kennedy). I have no doubt she will be great tonight. I couldn't ask for a better first lady.

August 25, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  2. Dianna from Flower Mound, Texas

That Obama would pick his wife to do the Keynote speech is an indication of his egalitarian sentiment when it comes to women.

Go Michelle!

August 25, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  3. Dee

Who cares what this Repulican says? Michelle will do whatever Michelle wants. After the last couple of months of Republican smears and attacks the last thing we want to hear is a Republican TRYING to give Obama advice. No thanks!

August 25, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  4. gm

MICHELLE OBAMA WILL DO AS SHE HAS ALWAYS DONE. SHE WILL BE HERSLF, TOUGH ON THE ISSUES SHE NEEDS TO BE TOUGH ON, AND BE THE GENTLE, CARING MOTHER WHO CAME FROM THE SOUTH SIDE OF CHICAGO TO AN OUTSTANDING PERSON OF STATURE IN HER OWN RIGHT. SHE KNOWS THAT SHE HAS BEEN TAKEN WRONG FOR SOME WORDS SHE SAID BUT KNEW IN HER HEART WHAT SHE SAID,
    MICHELLE GOD BLESS YOU TONIGHT. MAKE ALL PEOPLE PROUD.
    YES YOU WILL.

August 25, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  5. nola

She will be great

August 25, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  6. What She needs to do????

Michelle just needs to keep being Michelle. Her life is exemplary, her background, her achievements, her family are all success stories. She doesn't need to do anything she doesn't want to do. I have heard of it all. Let's see if CNN says what Cindy McCain needs to do next week when they discuss how McCain has insulting women with lame comments in the past and how he plans to boost his week record on women's issues. Other than parading them around in some biker beauty pageant.

August 25, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  7. chris

I do not like Michell O. I do not like Joe Biden. Joe Biden is notorious for TALKING WITHOUT ACTION. now we can see the perfect pair: let's see the equation: Obama + Biden = Eloquent Speakers with No Substance ... i do not like McCain. but at least he's man of action and experience.

August 25, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  8. ANGIE

She just needs to be the great person she is and show the gop thats shes not the person their trying to smear her to be she will be great tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 25, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  9. newsnut

This was not the face we first saw of this, in your face person. She was all over and into her own egotistic, brazen attitude. Seeing her now makes it even worst than the first. Prentencious is worst than lying. Its lying right to your face.But the Zombies keep on lining up. So sad.

August 25, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  10. rachae

Thank God!!!!! Obama is no Reagon. He would lose his base, we don't want a Reagon again.

August 25, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  11. Chris

Go Michelle! I think she is a very intelligent woman who is so strong and so caring. The healthy relationship she has with her daughters is so endearing. They are adorable!

I like Obama for substance, I like Michelle for personality.

August 25, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  12. Betty

wouldnt it be nice for cnn to be able to boast that not only are they are on the convention floor reporting but they are showing all the speakers....we have heard all the political pundits and while I am interested in hearing what they have to say...let's hear what others have to say. ie. Nancy Pelosi is on right now and we have had to change to C-span to watch.

August 25, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  13. tedious898

Go get 'em Shel! People need to know that all mothers (no matter their color or race) are just as american / patriotic as any president we've ever had.
    Mothers (white, black, hispanic – you name it) should not ever have their patriotism questioned. That's ridiculous. All mothers go thru a myriad of challenges just to get their kids to kindergarten today...let alone thru life. I pity the fool that has something negative to say about my mama.

I'll be happy to back up a truck full of fertilizer on your lawn if you demean Michelle Obama. Pooh pooh belongs with pooh pooh

August 25, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  14. rgeegee

The reason Obama didn't select Hillary Clinton as his VP is he knew if she ran in 2012 – she'd beat him out of a 2 term.

So I'll vote Republican 2008, and hope Hillary runs in 2012 – then we'll have the CORRECT candidate!!

August 25, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  15. Martha

It is so evident that the media wants Obama to win, that it makes you wonder why? The more they push him on Americans, the more we will resist. I think the media has been and will be his downfall.

August 25, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  16. j.

Michelle Obama needs to apologize for her unpatroitic remarks she's made in the past. She has a long ways to go before the majority of the American public will believe she can ever be a patroitic first lady.

August 25, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  17. rgeegee

To California Gold – yep, Michelle would be a great First Lady in CUBA!

August 25, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  18. Brian, Quad Cities

Amazing, we're getting more objective analysis from a Republican Strategist than from CNN/FOX

August 25, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  19. MaryBeth

I agree with Val. The only people who don't know about Obama's life or Michelle's childhood are not interested and don't want to know anyway. They obviously have been living under a rock or subscribe to McCain's ignorance of the internet and computer technology. They must not watch the news or the debates or anything on TV or radio. I'm sure even the Amish know what's going on politically in the US. These people are not the people I want deciding this election. Hopefully the Democrats, esp the young ones turn out and bring the White House back.

August 25, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  20. PE

Michelle, make your hubby proud. I am proud of you!.

August 25, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  21. Cynthia

Michelle Obama wil do fine and if everyone will listen to she & Senator Obama with an open heart – I'm sure there being geniune will shine through. I know that when I view things with an open heart I usually make the right decision.

I hope that CNN will post this.

August 25, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  22. MaryBeth

@ Democrat for McCain: You obviously didn't hear the entire remarks. When she was talking about being proud, she meant about what's happening, all the ppl coming together and participating. For the country that "invented" an elected government, we have the lowest voter turnout. I too am finally very proud of the ppl of the US for standing up and putting actions behind words.

August 25, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  23. rgeegee

Almost forgot to say _ "I'm proud to be an American (and I'm black...but I'm an AMERICAN) and happy to say I can and will always remember 9-11-2001! I'm UNITED to AMERICA. and will never disrespect her!

However, I must also say this – whomever is elected, I'll honor the choice, MINE or YOURS and never disrespect his office, name, family or choice.

August 25, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  24. Betty

rgeegee – 18 plus million of us will MAKE SURE she does not get elected in 2012 if you all put McBush in this time – mark my word !!!!!!!!

August 25, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  25. OutWithObama

Could care less what this woman has to say.

A total waste of precious air time ...

A woman who is NOT PROUD of America till Obama is on his way to become the Democratic nominee ???

A woman who talks about slicing up your family pie and handing it out .. just like the socialist do ..?

This woman is a disgrace to all America stands for.

August 25, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |