August 25th, 2008

Gergen: Michelle Obama rescued the night

Michelle Obama rescued the night, Gergen says.
Michelle Obama rescued the night, Gergen says.

The Democrats should be enormously grateful to Michelle Obama: after a very slow start to the convention, punctuated by a moving tribute to Teddy Kennedy and his own rousing speech, the first evening was in danger of becoming an entirely lost opportunity. But Michelle rescued it.

She was extraordinary, talking in ways that were both conversational - always welcome in people's living room - but also inspiring. She spoke in ways that reached out to people of all backgrounds. Democrats should be both proud and grateful.

It is impossible to know whether how many people will accept her message. To a significant degree, that is of course because she represents such a departure from the traditional order of things in America. She represents a new future - of women who are not only devoted mothers and wives but also highly educated, caring people ... and, yes, African-Americans, Hispanics, and people of many diferent backgrounds. One day the country will be there. Is it prepared to be there now? I'm frankly not sure. We are living through one of the most important chapters in the American story

1. Lawrence Morrison

A great american story.Obama and his wife are outstanding american. There lives represent the American dream,we should be very proud that they are American.

August 26, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  2. Brian in NYC

A perfect speech – contrary to Mr. Carville's contention, the Democrats first and foremost need to connect Obama to would-be voters, and particularly to Clinton voters. I think Michelle did that tonight.

August 26, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  3. Cesaria

CNN, when you pick and choose what you show, you should refrain from giving a full accounting of your opinion because it's far from fact. Thanks.

August 26, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  4. Dan from Minnesota

Great speach, can't wait for the next few nights of the DNC!

August 26, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  5. Patrick Chicago

It is pathetic that we even talk that we are not ready for this higher level thinking for our country. How long are we going to sit back and let the rest of the world continue to make progress as we sit back and bicker over negligible topics and are suffocated with pop culture and propaganda. Lets elect the best thinker end of story.

August 26, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  6. Bill Tampa

She was Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 26, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  7. Love Huckabee

Dave you are right on target. I wish CNN would learn a thing or two, an stop their love feast with the Clintons. CNN is so biased, they are pathetic!

August 26, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  8. nikki

cnn do you guys really read the blogs??? if so, please shut your people up and let us watch the convention!

August 26, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  9. Paulette Thompson

I think Michelle did a good job. The people who are mostly disappointed is the Republicans due to the fact that she did not have to go there. She accomplished the fact how they a real people who has work hardn in life and that all things are possible. There is so many negative people they want others to be like them. If you are a true Democratic you support Obama.Stop looking for something that is not there.

August 26, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  10. Brian, Quad Cities

Michelle crushed it tonight... tape measure shot.

August 26, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  11. Republican For Obama

She is an amazing woman.....

August 26, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  12. Patrick

Michelle was simply amazing. God I pray for this family to lead our country. We are so in need of thoughtful, articulate, leadership.

August 26, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  13. Laughing Man

"Michelle Obama rescued the night"

+1 to that.

August 26, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  14. shane

I think you either wanted "whether people" or "how many people" in that sentance, not both. But lets hope the answer is yes and a lot. For all our sakes.

August 26, 2008 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  15. Kat

She was magnificent!....giving the best speech of the night!

I am so proud of her and will be so honored to have her represent America to the world as our First Lady.

Vote Republican? never again. I so regret having a hand in Bush's second term election. I was a fool.
    Fool me once, shame on me.... Fool me twice? I think not.

Sorry McCain. No matter how many times you go back to your pow experience...that will not give me any confidence in your ability today as commander-in-chief .... your time has past. We need new ideas, new energy and a vision for the future.

August 26, 2008 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  16. TRUTH

Michelle Obama hit this one out of the park. She and Barack are the American dream, and are a true inspiration to poor families like the one I grew up in. I survived college the same way they did: loans and scholarships. I love this country, and my gift to this country will be my vote for Barack Obama and Joe Biden

OBAMA/BIDEN 08'

August 26, 2008 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  17. Charlene

Yes, Michelle Obama saved the day! The producers who put the DNC show together should never be allowed near any production again. The show reminded me of a disco version of The Gong Show. And the cut-away shots to the various delegates were so awful, it seemed like John McCain's campaign manager hacked into the show. Michelle Obama presented herself, her family and her husband as likeable people that not only do you want to know, but that you can aspire to be.

August 26, 2008 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  18. Christopher Williams

Mrs. Obama electrified the entire covention. We will be reviewing her speech and its delivery for years to come and I believe she has just redefined "First Lady" in the minds of the American people. What we have now is a savvy, smart, politcal mind that can drive social programs.

August 26, 2008 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  19. Christopher

Way to go Democrats! You have shown the world that uplifting a nation can move us to becoming better than we are. Michelle was perfect!

August 26, 2008 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  20. Dan S

I agree wholeheartedly with Dave. I'm now watching all my convention coverage on CSPAN

August 26, 2008 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  21. Tylenol 666

The McShames are shooting Blanks on Larry King! and are so scared you can tell by thier crackled voices

CHANGE IS COMING

OBAMA – BIDEN

August 26, 2008 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  22. NATHANIEL O DADZE

I watched Michelle Obama's speech and I must say that it was a remarkable speech and very touching.What I personally noticed from her speech was that, she really loved her Country and devoted herself to this Country and all the people in America.She was extraordinary.

August 26, 2008 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  23. Alex

Come on Gergen. The first night was "in danger of becoming an entirely lost opportunity" because Pelosi, Jackson, Caroline, and yes, a moving–but "electrifying" as per your own CNN reporting–Ted Kennedy delivered effective speeches?

Also, way to round out your commentary with a truly profound analysis of the fact that race is could be a particularly important issue in this campaign, and that you're not sure how it will affect Obama's candidacy.

August 26, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  24. stacey

Dave, I agree w/u. I watched CSPAN to see all of the speeches. The MSM's were too busy listensing to themselves than showing the convention.

August 26, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  25. Charles Mugasa

I have never been interested in American Politics but Obama has been an inspiration for many people living outside America to follow this election very closely. What has inspired me is not because he is black or afro american, it is in his beliefs in the country's democratic system, the belief that if you work hard you can achieve your goals; a belief in fellow peple that though devided as we might be but can still achieve the same goals for the good of the country.

American, do not loose the opportunity to change your country, vote for Barack Obama.

August 26, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |