August 25th, 2008

Gergen: Where have they been hiding Craig Robinson?

A few minutes ago, James Carville said the Democrats have been hiding their message tonight - and I think he was on the mark.

But Craig Robinson, Michelle's brother, has helped to put things back on track. His basketball analogies about Barack Obama was some of the best validation we have heard about the candidate in this campaign. Now Michelle has opened up well with a basketball note... that connects with voters. The Democrats need to make this fellow more visible... now on to Michelle's message.

1. Cynthia

I've seen him on several programs before and he is great.

August 25, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  2. M C

Oh, yes!!! Intelligent people pick their leaders because of stupid BASKETBALL analogies!!! Just like, who do you like the most, and want to have a beer with!!! Is this high school??? Go McCain!!!!

August 25, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  3. Chris, Antioch, CA

Why are all your commentators Republicans or former Republicans?

August 25, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  4. Jason

Why are the camera feeds for CNN and FOX news the same feed?

August 25, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  5. Alex, Omaha NE

Once again I agree with you David. I think that when he broke it down in that analogy, people will see both Michelle and Barack Obama as people they can relate to.

August 25, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  6. rubie, northern va

Let's hear more about Cindy McCain! It makes me sick to see what America is doing to Michelle and Barack Obama! I want to hear more about Cindy McCain and her drug addiction. CNN please talk about John McCain's family values (leave off the POW).... Let's move on from the Obama family.

August 25, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  7. lila

outstanding.

August 25, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  8. CM

Pump it up!!!

Watch the campaign get desperate on the GOP end now!

August 25, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  9. CC, VA

Yes. It is essential that the leader of the free world have a sweet jumper.

This is ridiculous.

August 25, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  10. martie

THAT WAS GREAT!! I COULD NOT KEEP MY EYES DRY! GO MICHELLE!!

August 25, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  11. john williams san diego, ca.

I see gergen is still fighting to be obamas press secretary..

August 25, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  12. sacto joe

Gergen, it's time for you to retire. You literally DON'T HAVE A CLUE. You've bought into the Republican spin, just like half the country, and you couldn't be MORE WRONG!

If you missed Michelle Obama's speech, you all missed something. That's all I can tell you.

August 25, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  13. Betty

Freedom of Speech CNN

You people at CNN are starting to get on the last nerve I have left.

Why don't you INVESTIGATE why McWarmonger sent his wife to Georgia to meet with his friend that started something that would benefit his run for presidency – THAT's what you all should be FEARING!!!!!!!!!!

August 25, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  14. Mer

I was very impressed. Her speech almost brought tears to my eyes.I wish and pary this man (Obama) gets elected to the White House. B/c only God knows what will happen to us, Americans, if another Republican is in the office again for the next 4 yrs. PLEASE everyone go and vote for Democrats. :)

Democrat 2008

August 25, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  15. Kevin

Basketball??? Doesn't connect with me. Get serious, and stop grasping for straws!

August 25, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  16. Larry in TX

They say behind every great man is a great woman.
    Well, folks, here she is. What a great speech she gave.
    Michelle Obama for President!

August 25, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  17. Tadej Brdnik

I agree, both him and Michelle need to be more visible.

August 25, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  18. B. Smart

Did you see all the Fox News anchors crying. Their eyes were beet
    red. Especially Juan's. Repent Fox news.

Obama Biden.

August 25, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  19. William Haper

Gergen, you and Carville need to take a deep breath and start seeing the forest for the trees. Not everything is about political tactics... sometimes it's about laying out the strategy. Relax and enjoy the rest of the week.

August 25, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  20. Denise

I missed that part, as I was at work. I'll watch the repeats

August 25, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  21. Gail

I've been sitting watching the convention, listening to you commentators bemoan the fact that there isn't a Bush attack going on. Have you ever thought that maybe the general public doesn't care to hear constant attacks on the opponent, who actually isn't Bush but McCain? Surprise! And maybe the public might happen to like hearing positive speeches, that are uplifting and hopeful about the future??? If the Dems had been marching speakers across the podium who had been beating up the Republicans and Bush the whole time, I would have shut the tv off. Maybe they were, but I missed it so that you could all have your faces and voices drowning it out. Gee whiz...

August 25, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  22. Laurie Brannen

Hey, CNN convention commentators. Believe it or not, it's not all about you. While you were ranting about the lack of content, you drowned out Claire McKaskill, who just MIGHT have had something worth listening to. You seem to think you understand what your viewers want, but I, for one, want less of you and more of the speakers at the convention. And, I think Donna Brazile nailed it, albeit kindly, after Wolfe, Carville et al waxed critical of the failure of the Dems to entertain CNN viewers– that the party is playing to their constituents at the convention. After all, Republicans aren't watching so what's the point of coming on like gangbusters against McCain on day one? So, kindly allow us to listen more to the speakers and less to you.

August 25, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  23. ICan the News Media Let's enjoy this moment without the negatives

jJames and Gergen we are tired of your continuous critizing of everything. You sounds like bitter people who just want to put a damper on everything. Is this the way you all covers these events or it is just because it is Obama and you don't want him to win. We cannot enjoy this cover, you may as well not be there. Can you cover the event without asking stupid unnecessary questions. You are always throwing out your spin on everything. Can you just let the Democrats and the Rupublican fight it out and may the best man win. The sad thing is that you guys want McCain to win. We are so tired of this statetment from you all " We do not know who Obama is"? We do not live in America and we know who is by now. Stop the nonsense and get on with the truth.

August 25, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  24. T Fitzgerald

I’m a Republican voting for Obama – tell all the Clinton idiots that are whining to accept reality and close the ranks and elect a new government, and then they won’t go down in history as the ones that gave the Republicans another four years behind Bush !!

August 25, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |