August 25th, 2008

Gergen: Where have they been hiding Craig Robinson?

A few minutes ago, James Carville said the Democrats have been hiding their message tonight - and I think he was on the mark.

But Craig Robinson, Michelle's brother, has helped to put things back on track. His basketball analogies about Barack Obama was some of the best validation we have heard about the candidate in this campaign. Now Michelle has opened up well with a basketball note... that connects with voters. The Democrats need to make this fellow more visible... now on to Michelle's message.

1. Anne In New York

Wow, what a terrific family! Like so many of us, I forget the dream of America too. My father was blue collar, he worked to put me and my brother through college and today we have wonderful lives because of the opportunities that are part of our heritage.

I sincerely hope that dream can go on......although today, my father would not be able to put two children through college, own a home, a car. And I believe Obama will work very hard to cure some of the ills of this society. Health care! We must have that.

August 25, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  2. Anna

Do not agree with Gergen here, talking as if the basketball story will make or break Obamas case.
    His weakness is blue collar, older women, seniors...
    basketball stories will not win this crowd.

Now, NFL, NHL or MLB....

Michelle hit the spot for the evening. Good for her.

August 25, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  3. ALLAN USA

No HRC -- NO Obama . GOD SAVE AMERICA. Vote McCain and HRC in 2012.

August 25, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  4. sharon mcgraw

Yes, it was all about the future of our nation. Somehow, it is hard to understand where our future is going. The children and education of America is of great importance! Unfortunately, there was no mention of the senior (baby boomers) citizens plans to accomodate us and our life styles for the next 30-40 years. We all have mortgages, bills, medical expenses, and declining income. How is the democractic presidential hopeful going to address these issues? What is the hope for American seniors of living in the style that they worked for but can no longer afford?

August 25, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  5. ALLAN USA

She don;t love AMERICA. She want Obama to be president,so she will say anything to AMERICA people.

August 25, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  6. Phil Newton in Murphy, Oregon

And - he's a coach at the University of Oregon!

Go Ducks!

Go Obamas!

August 25, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  7. Kari McBride

I can't believe what I just heard from Gergen and Wolfie about the poor timing of the Ted Kennedy and Michelle Obama speeches, which were supposedly wasted because they didn't play in prime time. And you made those short-sighted comments while reporting from Denver, which last time I checked, was on MDT!

Listen up–

Not everybody lives on the east coast.

Here in Tucson, we've been making and eating dinner and listening to the convention on both radio and TV since about 5 pm MST. It is now 8:30, and while you all are looking for your teddy bears, we still have another couple of hours before we say goodnight.

Please try to think outside the east coast box as you continue to report this convention.

August 25, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  8. David

"The biggest surprise so far is how slowly this convention is getting off the ground. It is clearly pumping up people in the convention hall, but for a much larger national audience — the audience that is so important in November — there has been very little offered so far to rivet people's attention."
    MAYBE IF YOU TAKE THE CAMERAS OFF YOURSELVES AND ALLOW THE LARGER NATIONAL AUDIENCE TO WATCH THE SPEAKERS WE CAN GET A LITTLE MORE EXCITED.
    The CNN coverage was not really coverage, just a bunch of talking heads giving their opinions. An interesting fact: I turn to Fox to see what they were doing. Guess what. They were doing the same thing. CNN with David Gergen was in the terrible mood today. He should have called in sick. Fox may have an opening.

August 25, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  9. Cathy

Get with it CNN! This evening's Dem Convention was outstanding – even from the home armchair. We don't need to put down McCain – we need to focus on what will get the US back to the future we deserve to share. Change is the word here – get with it – change your reporting and expectations to get with the times!

August 25, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  10. Dee From DC

May I remind the political analyist that this election is about History in making and CHANGE. The DNC should not be expected to follow past convention formats. The timing of tonight's events enabled working famlies to view events live and not have to wait until CNN and other cable and network news stations piece together what analyst "think" the public wants to see . The analysts seemed to be discouraged by the fact that this was not drawn out for hours as past conventions which would have given cable and network stations more face time to TALK for the next few hours while most working Americans will be asleep and preparing for tomorrow. So, please continue to talk amongst yourselves - we won't be listening!

August 25, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  11. Sarah

I am so tired of CNN. I am glad I thought to turn to C-SPAN. The speculation, chit-chat and opinons are boring and serve no one but the people getting paid to spin such trivia.

August 25, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  12. Joy Foster

I always enjoy David's Comments but today I am so glad that the talks were more positive, uplifting and hopeful to attain a dream for the USA.
    People needed to hear the wonderful talks in order to really trust this new ticket and I pray it will win hands down. McCain has been negative and I believe he carries much anger for his capture in Hanoi which shows as negativity. No one can heal with those kinds of memories. Hope and trust along with prayer and action will heal. The Oboma ticket has this. Good luck to you all. Yes they also need to point out McCains weakness and attack truthfully.
    From a retired 74 year old BSN white Canadian lady who loves the States as well

August 25, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  13. independent now

I AM GETTING TIRED OF ALL THE BASKETBALL REFERENCES. LIFE IS NOT A BASKETBALL GAME/ THATS A GAME. THIS IS REAL. THIS COUNTRY IS IN CRISIS. WE NEED A LEADER NOT A CENTER

August 25, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  14. Rishi Bagga

CNN – i'm tired of it – get rid of Gergen, Castallano, Carville, et al. They are aging – you need new, young, current political commentators in line with new and young issues. You can't get the old guard of analysis and put them on twitter and facebook and expect that to make up for actually understanding the new generation, CNN.

August 25, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  15. Sheila

This first night was not a waste at all. Ted Kennedy and Michelle Obama were awesome. They both kind of summed up what the Democratic party is all about...family, community involvement, the poor, the economy...it could not have been a better night.

August 25, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  16. Farrell, Houston, Tx

THANK YOU SARAH, MY DAUGHTER ENLIGHTEN ME TO C-SPAN.

August 25, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  17. Richard

David – where have you been. Craig has been on all the major networks, including CNN. I guess McFlipFlop will try to counter by trying to figure out how many of his houses have a basketball court.

August 25, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  18. Mark Baldaccini

The Democrats put the icing on the cake tonight. They got into our sub conscious minds. First Senator Kennedy reminded us about his brother, John and then Michelle Obama spoke about her family. Some how Camelot has returned. Think about what happened!!!

August 26, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  19. Al Frazier

I agree Sarah.
    I wish more Americans would think for themselves.
    I like how C-Span simply presented the DNC.
    Kudos to you Sarah

August 26, 2008 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  20. nikki

cnn please do a better job. we can do without you guys talking all the time. now I am a cnn junkie ans watch you guys all the time...but I had to switch to msnbc to actually see the speeches. I guess if it was controversy you guys would have let the public listen...and please stop talking about hillary...this is OBAMA time!!!!!

August 26, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  21. Leah Texas

Come on CNN less talk and more of the convention speeches.
    If you're not careful everyone will be switching over to C-Span.

August 26, 2008 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  22. Joe

The last thing in the world that Barack Obama needs is a reference to basketball. What can his advisors be thinking? Many whites think that the only thing blacks do well is play basketball.

August 26, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  23. angel

Michelle Obama 2012!!!

August 26, 2008 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  24. Paula

This family is the change America needs.Go Obama/Biden

August 26, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  25. John Smith

I look forward to hearing from Cindy McCain; I hope they do not hide her by giving false excuses during the Republican convention!!! If she can match what Michelle did, I'd change from Independent to Republican, otherwise Obama has my vote...

August 26, 2008 01:36 am at 1:36 am |