August 25th, 2008

Kaine: "Amazing" I was mentioned for VP

Kaine told CNN at a concert Sunday he was flattered Obama considered him for VP.

Denver (CNN) – Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine, considered one of the top contenders for Barack Obama's running mate, doesn't appear disappointed that Joe Biden got the job instead.

Kaine grinned, clapped and danced to Sheryl Crow's music Sunday night at the Green Sunday concert at the scenic Red Rocks amphitheater in Denver. He was joined by his wife, Ann Holton.

Kaine told CNN he thinks Biden is "going to be great" and praised the senior senator from Delaware for his foreign policy experience and his work on the Judiciary Committee.

"He really plays it from the heart," Kaine said of Biden. "I think he will serve [Obama] well and he and Obama will make a great team."

When Crow dedicated her song, "Strong Enough," to Obama and Biden, Kaine put down his Coors Light and applauded. Crow switched up the chorus to "are you strong enough to be my man, my president."

Kaine said he was just happy to have been mentioned for Obama's number two spot. Now his focus is turning Virginia blue, noting that his state is in play for the first time since 1964.

"We're trying to get Virginia votes locked into Barack's column," Kaine said. "If we can win Virginia, he will be the next president."

Kaine later took the stage at Red Rocks to introduce musician Dave Matthews and fired up the crowd by hitting McCain for infamously not knowing how many homes he owns.

"You can't make this stuff up folks," Kaine shouted.

He admitted that when he signed onto Obama's campaign in 2007 it looked "pretty steep."

"We're not there yet but we can see it," he concluded.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Tim Kaine
  1. PoliticoMike

I like this guy. Obama will def take care of him.
    Uh hum, that's how you act when you don't get what you want.

August 25, 2008 02:43 am at 2:43 am |
  2. saeed sh.

Kaine 2016 here we come!!!

August 25, 2008 02:53 am at 2:53 am |
  3. Aliou

Your turn is coming Tim. Don't worry. After Obama, it would be your turn.

August 25, 2008 03:24 am at 3:24 am |
  4. Liz

Will some of you CNN reporters please tell me who these Clinton supporters are who would vote for McCain? I'm hoping that whoever they are, they will not go down in history as the group who gave John McCain the power to reverse Roe-V-Wade. We as women who can think, know this is what would happen. Why would this group of women slap so many of their girl friends in the face with their action, especially, since we all worked so hard to be able to stand up and say I'm pro-choice. WHO ARE THESE WOMEN?

August 25, 2008 03:35 am at 3:35 am |
  5. Bill in CA

To the Poll Results your last article was talking about, your numbers are skewed. Look at how many people who you polled voted Democratic in 2004 and how many of them would have accepted Barak in 2007 as their second choice. My guess is that that out of your polling sample 30 % voted Bush 4 years ago and the numbers you are seeing are a result of voting for Hillary or voting Republican. Remember, a good stats man can get the numbers to skew anyway he wants them.

August 25, 2008 03:56 am at 3:56 am |
  6. ANN

IF REPUBLICANS THINK THAT OBAMA SHOULD HAVE CHOSEN HILIARY, WHO THEY NOW SEEM TO HAVE SUCH FONDNESS FOR, WHY NOT ASK HER TO BE THEIR VICE PRESIDENT; THINK ABOUT IT, ALL THE HILIARY SUPPORTERS WHO SAY THEY WILL VOTE FOR MCCAIN, NOW THAT HILIARY HAS BEEN SNUBBED BY OBAMA, ARE GOING TO VOTE FOR HIM ANYWAY. WHAT A TICKET THIS WOULD BE....A LANDSLIDE!

August 25, 2008 04:13 am at 4:13 am |
  7. sneaky pete

I find it funny seeing people say "so much for change" since Obama picked Biden and they mention his 30 years in Washington and call him an "insider". Because those same people are the ones who if Obama picked someone like Kaine, who is also a relative new comer and has not been in office long, would be complaining about Obama having no experience and him picking a VP with no experience, so how is anything supposed to get done.

Personally, I think Biden was a good choice because he counteracts the complaints about Obama having no experience or Foreign Affairs knowledge because Biden does have those. Where as if Kaine was picked they could make the same arguments against Kaine that they already do Obama. It really was a lose-lose situation for Obama whether he picked an experienced Washington politician or a newcomer like himself.

August 25, 2008 04:37 am at 4:37 am |
  8. Proud American

We can all see it now Kaine! Thank you for helping make a better America.
    Obama/ Biden '08

August 25, 2008 04:44 am at 4:44 am |
  9. aware

No, they are not there yet, and they will not get there!

Arrogance trumped judgment when Obama refused to have Hillary on the ticket as his VP even though this would have unified the democrats and brought new life to his flagging campaign.

Arrogance trumped integrity when Biden, who said that Obama was not ready to be president, accepted the VP spot!

The prevaricating, obfuscating, equivocating Obama deserves to lose, and he will! Obama is Bush 2 – just another arrogant ideologue smug and self satisfied in his certitudes! :(

Never Obama! America cannot afford an Obama presidency!

Don't waste your vote! Vote for John McCain 08 and Hillary Clinton 2012! They are both moderates in touch with mainstream America. :)

August 25, 2008 04:50 am at 4:50 am |
  10. Charlotte

I could see why John might not know how many homes they own, since he and Cindy file seperate tax returns. My husband does not know who we owe or when the payment is due. I pay the bills and deposit the money we make. I could say the same for some women, who only recently were able to get a line of credit of their own. Some young people think the rights women now have, were always there. We've come a long way, Baby.. If I had 100 million of my own money, I would have anything my heart desired, wouldn't you?

August 25, 2008 05:25 am at 5:25 am |
  11. Dan, FL

Gov Kaine, Yes it is amazing because Barack has no experience. You do not deserve the post because you are also a raw hand like Barack. How can American people put you both in power. No way. Go away.

August 25, 2008 05:46 am at 5:46 am |
  12. Truth Hurts from Liberty Island ; )

..mmh, me too, i like Sheryl Crow, Dave Matthews & Jay London, sounds like a gr8 concert .!.

O/Joe 08 – PU (Party Unity)

August 25, 2008 06:12 am at 6:12 am |
  13. Katrina

The more Hillarist comments I read, the clearer they translate: "The black man didn't treat the white woman with respect." Yeah, I know, everybody will yell "race card," blabla. The thing is: most racists aren't intentionally racist. They don't know they are. They honestly believe they are not. But old patterns die hard. I teach at one of the nation's top-ranked colleges, and I have two teenage kids - it's noticeable how little my students or my children care about race. Sometimes I do wonder whether Obama came ten years too early... then again, I hope the colleges will turn out the vote. It's bad enough that election day isn't a national holiday - but we can surely turn our students loose, provided they're registered.

August 25, 2008 06:19 am at 6:19 am |
  14. Hillary

See Hillary is being smart and is playing it by the books. She know in order for her to win in 2012 she has to support Obama.

Because she know she will need Obama supporters down the road. It's her supporters that is blined by hate.

August 25, 2008 06:35 am at 6:35 am |
  15. Bill, Richmond, VA

I'm glad that my Gov. was not selected. He's doing a good job in Virginia and he needs to continue.

Don't be surprised if Obama wins Virginia by a wide margin!! If all politics is local, then Obama, with a large African-American turnout will win in the DC suburbs, Richmond and Hampton Roads. In the rural areas he will be carried by the coat tails of former Gov. Mark Warner who will win the senate race against Jim Gilmore by double digits. I think Obama wins Virginia by 5 points or more.

August 25, 2008 06:37 am at 6:37 am |
  16. annie

I thought it was amazing also......however, you should be glad you are not going to be on the losing team.

Obama continues to divide the Democratic party and he will get the fruits of his labor in Nov.

August 25, 2008 06:38 am at 6:38 am |
  17. Hillary

She know she will need Obama supporters down the road. It's her supporters that is blined by hate and because of that they will cost her the 2012 election.

August 25, 2008 06:38 am at 6:38 am |
  18. You Gotta Be Kidding Me

Tim Kaine is not that well liked or respected here in VA. He has accomplished nothing except raiding our highway trust fund for $180 million to pay for his pet non-transportation projects and then a month later says he needs $5 billion in new taxes for roads. I wish Obama had picked Kaine, he would be so easy to destroy, easier than Thomas Eagleton was.

August 25, 2008 06:41 am at 6:41 am |
  19. M.O. Yousuf

Kaine and Bayh are both qualifiled to vp but Obama – Baiden is a very strong ticket and will win the general election. No doubt that senator Baiden will be a fierce attack dog and go after Mc Caine using his merciless fangs and incisors to tear down Mc Caine's flesh.

August 25, 2008 06:42 am at 6:42 am |
  20. nicholas

Hillary supporters please stop d hate. Obama and Hillary had almost thesame political view. Voting John McCain will be death of that Hillary dream. Unite Democrats and Unite America.

Nicholas from Nigeria

August 25, 2008 06:52 am at 6:52 am |
  21. Kelly

AWARE, what exactly are you AWARE of .....Why are you still speaking of the Obama/Clinton ticket. If you are AWARE of anything, then you should be AWARE that an OBAMA/CLINTON would never work. If you are AWARE of anything, then you should be AWARE that both of them stated, if they did not win the nomination or was not No. 1/they choose NOT BE No. 2. So, if you have any political insight–JUST A LITTLE–then you should let it GO. How can you compare BUSH to OBAMA. So, you may waster your vote, but I as a woman, vote based on issues, so, you I see you are not AWARE, just UNAWARE.

OBAMA/BIDEN 08 and 2012.

August 25, 2008 06:52 am at 6:52 am |
  22. Darrell

FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN!

Obama and Biden are going to loose the general election. Why? Simple, they are going to lose the election for the same reason that John Kerry lost the election. FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN!

Dispite Obamas gift with words, there is still a significant number of people out there that don't know anythin about him. He has been speaking to people for 8 months now on the campaign trail yet their are still people who don't know anything about him. And this is not a good sign!

And then he picks another unknown for the VP position. We are in trouble guys. John kerry lost even with a strong anti-war sentiment in the air in 2004 because he was virtually an unknown to a lot of people. And I'm afraid Obama is also going to lose even with a strong sentiment of "change' in the air also because his a virtual unknown as well.

August 25, 2008 06:58 am at 6:58 am |