August 25th, 2008

McKinney slams Democrats over Iraq war funding

Cynthia McKinney is criticizing Democrats on Iraq funding.
Cynthia McKinney is criticizing Democrats on Iraq funding.

DENVER, Colorado (CNN) - Controversial former Georgia Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney is in Denver this week, but she isn’t exactly here to attend the Democratic National Convention.

In fact we found her at a protest against US government detainment of “political prisoners."

These days McKinney is the Green Party nominee for President, and she’s blasting the Democrats in Congress for not cutting off funding to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"I've been liberated from the values that I believe are the failed values of the Democratic party. I'm proud to be outside,” she said.

Back in 1996, McKinney was not only on the inside of the Democratic convention in Chicago - she was even one of the speakers. She praised then-President Bill Clinton, and lashed out at the Republican Party for its opposition to abortion.

McKinney was well known on the Hill for her run-ins with everyone from the Anti-Defamation league to the Capitol police. But for the record, the protest she attended was peaceful and came off without a hitch.

1. guy

I might vote for her,if she is on the list in my state,or else it will be Nader.

August 25, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  2. julescator

Marcello – yep and now she is out of a JOB. She is not a politician. You have to STAY in the job to help your constituents. She didn't know how to play the game to her advantage. She is now on the outside looking in with absolutely no press coverage!

August 25, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  3. Gail

I agree with Marcello. Cynthia McKinney rocks.

The corporate media has painted a picture of Cynthia McKinney that is less than rosy because she dares challenge their inept propaganda machine. Why does this story have the last paragraph included? It has nothing to do with anything in the story besides to try and discredit her.

I will not be fooled.

Folks, the corporate media continues to lie to you.

And to some of the commenters above: McKinney is NOT a democrat. She is a Green. My goodness....

August 25, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  4. Green to the soul

Look at how afraid you all are when someone actually has the courage to speak the truth!

McKinney '08

August 25, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  5. La Raza

Sister McKinney, I hear you girl, but you should really put your energy behind your brother Obama. If McCain is it, there will be no more Green in the world!

August 25, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  6. Green to the soul

I'm sure all you Democratic sheep and Republican robots are confused by this woman. Its called conviction, integrity and courage. Find a dictionary and look them up!

August 25, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  7. JC

Good for her. At least she stands by her beliefs rather than flip-flop on important issues depending on what poll says. She is an example of what I like to see in politicians. Of course, I don't agree with her platform, but I respect her.

August 25, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  8. rachae

I think we need new parties. Are the democrats better than the republicans..................YES. But Bush and company wouldn't of been able to do all of that without the complicity of the democtats. The republicans are suffering now for putting party ahead of country and voting consistantly with Bush. And the democrats will be in trouble because they just did nothing. I am bit disguisted with both parties. Obama 08

August 25, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  9. J.C.

I am an independent, but I lost my confidence in the Green Party after their nomination of her.

August 25, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  10. R.O.B.

You know, I'm really beginning to not like this woman. I mean, she knows she not going to win, she's only expecting to get 3 – 5% of the votes in the GE herself. So why even run? I really hope people aren't dense enough to actually go out and vote for her.

OBAMA / BIDEN '08