August 25th, 2008

Obama a spectator as Michelle takes center stage

KANSAS CITY, Missouri (CNN) – Hands cupped under his chin as he sat in a family’s living room, Barack Obama smiled as they watched Michelle Obama introduced on their television screen.

Obama held a short photo-op at the beginning of his wife’s address to the convention. He was in the home of a family in battleground Missouri, the candidate sitting in between on a couch in front of the television.

“This is nerve-wracking,” he said, as the Girardeau family laughed.

As his wife took the podium, Obama relaxed a bit, and said “she looks pretty cute.”

About 300 people gathered outside the two-story home in the Kansas City neighborhood, chanting Obama’s name while he was inside. It wasn’t hard to figure out where he was. Besides the security presence, a satellite truck sat outside to beam his remarks to the convention floor after she wrapped up.

On the giant screen, he told the cheering delegates, “now you know why I asked her out so many times, even though she kept saying no.” Playing into the family theme of the night, Obama spoke with his daughters, who said “hi, Daddy” to the screen on stage next to their mother.

1. Newly Independent Former Dem Writing in Hillary

So sweet!

August 25, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  2. Paul

What speech I watched wrestling instead. I got no interest in convention.

August 25, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  3. jason, tx

She did wonderfully! Great job Michelle!!!!!

August 25, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  4. Gerry in Virginia

What a great speech. She'll be a special first lady. How exciting for their family.

August 25, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  5. anonymous

Michelle Obama was sincere and fabulous.

August 25, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  6. Proud American

I'll be more than honored to have Michelle Obama as my First Lady. What a woman!!!

August 25, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  7. Voter

Another non-story.

August 25, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  8. Richard

keep stumpin michelle. your husband will find himself out of the primaries by 6-8 points once all is said and done. he and you might be decent human beings but you aren't fit to lead.

August 25, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  9. Rave

Great, adorable family and a very beautiful , talented wife. What more can a man wish for.
    God Bless Obama and protect him from Evil..
    OBAMA (2008 -16)

August 25, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  10. A Woman in California for Obama

Michelle Obama YOU WERE MAGNIFICIENT! I am so proud to have you considered as a First Lady. I have recorded every moment of your speech and I will gladly and proudly watch it with my niece and any future granddaughters I have. No matter what they say about you-YOU bought it home tonight. That was a very emotional and intelligent speech. You made me really proud to be an American and I thought you and your daughters were just beautiful. Keep doing all the good work you do and I think Obama could take a few lessons from you on talking directly to the people. I actually felt every word you said.

Thank you.

Obama/Biden '08

August 25, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  11. john

just brilliant

August 25, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  12. mark

I am proud to be an American this is what we need for a first lady, in comparison to McCain all I am hearing from him is war stories, he is out of touch with the America.

The critics ripped her apart before and to date I never heard Cindy McCain speak, why we Americans never ask who is Cindy McCain?

Obama 2008
    Clinton/ Michelle Obama 2012

August 25, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  13. independent now

TOO STAGED AT THE END. MRS. OBAMA GAVE A VERY WELL REHEARSED SPEECH. IT SOUNDED LIKE OBAMA COACHED HER VERY WELL AND VERY LONG. WHO EVER WROTE THE SPEECH DID A GREAT JOB. BUT IT WASNT MICHELLE OBAMAS WORDS I AM SURE. THIS FIRST NIGHT DID NOT SWAY MY VOTE ONE BIT.

August 25, 2008 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  14. anonymous

I'm sure republicans are jealous and shking in their shoes. Democrats won tonight. Sorry Republicans.

August 25, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  15. David

She did really well. And as for the comment by one of the commentators "The biggest surprise so far is how slowly this convention is getting off the ground. It is clearly pumping up people in the convention hall, but for a much larger national audience — the audience that is so important in November — there has been very little offered so far to rivet people's attention."
    MAYBE IF YOU TAKE THE CAMERAS OFF YOURSELVES AND ALLOW THE LARGER NATIONAL AUDIENCE TO WATCH THE SPEAKERS WE CAN GET A LITTLE MORE EXCITED.
    The CNN coverage was not really coverage, just a bunch of talking heads giving their opinions. An interesting fact: I turn to Fox to see what they were doing. Guess what. They were doing the same thing. CNN is becoming more and more like Fox. Where is the unbiased, no spin news station I started watching years ago. You have changed and I don't like it. I had to turn to PBS to actually enjoy the convention speakers. Nancy P. mention McCain at least FIVE times. They all did well. What more do you want. Cursing and fighting with a little bloodshed? Good heavens. David Gergen was in the terrible mood today. He should have called in sick. Carville and Jeff Tobbin were just weak in their analysis. Fox may have an opening.

August 25, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  16. Barbara - GA

She was fantastic!!!!

August 25, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  17. Peggy

Usually I am a big CNN fan. However, tonight the commentators could not be quiet long enough to allow any of the speakers, with the exception of Caroline & Ted Kennedy and Michelle Obama, to be heard. I changed to ABC and heard several of the "common people, House Speaker, etc. CNN may be the best political team in your opinion, but tonight you were too involved in hearing your team speak and not the speakers. Very disappointed!!

August 25, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  18. Mike

I am a Hillary supporter. First of all, Michelle was articulate and effective tonight.(I'll add beautiful at the risk of being called sexist). I don't think she did what she needed to do though. She convinced people that the Obama's are nice and smart people, but not necessarily that he should be the President of the United States. To see effectiveness, watch Hillary tomorrow. Oh what could have been!

August 25, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  19. Mike

This was simply a "Love Me Michelle Obama" moment, the intoduction by her mother almost made it appear as if she (Michelle) were the candidate.

Boring! (yawn), so so scripted...

Go McCain!!!

August 25, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  20. Arkansas Undertaker

Michelle Obama saved the night tonite. The convention was a bit boring. And I am a stauch Obma supporter!

August 25, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  21. Elaine

Barack thought he was in St. Louis! Wow. Not even knowing where you are on what is supposed to be an important night in both your own history and the history of our nation. He doesn't know where he is, yet we're expected to believe he'll get us to where we need to go. This lifelong Democrat, and Hillary supporter, will be casting her vote for John McCain.

August 25, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  22. Darwin Nolan

As a veteran of the United States Army, a tax-paying citizen, and a civil worker representing american in the international community; why does the color of my skin does not make myself, Obama, or any other non white Americans "True Americans". Why does Obama or any other non white American have to prove they are true Americans? What makes McCain a True American or Bush who was a elluded the military? This is a fundemental problem of American and so called true Americans and it is destroying American from with in.

August 25, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  23. SUSAN

The speeches cannot make up for the fact that the majority of the citizens of The United States of America voted for Hillary Clinton in the primaries. The system has failed the people of this great country. I WILL NOT VOTE IN NOVEMBER.

August 25, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  24. Wrob in GA

We loved Michelle! She did a great job.

August 25, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  25. Meesha6

I cannot believe the beautiful speech that Mrs. Obama gave tonight. I had never really listened to her speak before and had only heard what the media played over and over. I realize that the Obamas are more like me than any other candidates. They have struggled in their lives, they worry about their kids, and they live their lives hoping for a better future for their children. I wish that my mother could have lived to see this day that a future first lady could speak to your heart in a way to let you know that they truly understand you. Congratulations Barack and Michelle. You showed people tonight that you are a lot like us!

August 25, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |