August 25th, 2008

Obama a spectator as Michelle takes center stage

KANSAS CITY, Missouri (CNN) – Hands cupped under his chin as he sat in a family’s living room, Barack Obama smiled as they watched Michelle Obama introduced on their television screen.

Obama held a short photo-op at the beginning of his wife’s address to the convention. He was in the home of a family in battleground Missouri, the candidate sitting in between on a couch in front of the television.

“This is nerve-wracking,” he said, as the Girardeau family laughed.

As his wife took the podium, Obama relaxed a bit, and said “she looks pretty cute.”

About 300 people gathered outside the two-story home in the Kansas City neighborhood, chanting Obama’s name while he was inside. It wasn’t hard to figure out where he was. Besides the security presence, a satellite truck sat outside to beam his remarks to the convention floor after she wrapped up.

On the giant screen, he told the cheering delegates, “now you know why I asked her out so many times, even though she kept saying no.” Playing into the family theme of the night, Obama spoke with his daughters, who said “hi, Daddy” to the screen on stage next to their mother.

1. Enrique

Why did you pick a caucasion canidate instead of an african american or hispanic or hiliary, who had fifty percent of the votes, that could of helped you secure the white house?

August 25, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  2. Mark Baldaccini

The Democrats put the icing on the cake tonight. They got into our sub conscious minds. First Senator Kennedy reminded us about his brother, John and then Michelle Obama spoke about her family. Some how Camelot has returned. Think about what happened!!!

August 25, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  3. Daniel Madden

Michelle Obama hit a home run! She has shown that her family could be any american family.

August 25, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  4. KR

The Clinton preached "Family Values" and we all now how that turned out! John Edwards cheated on his wife while she was sick. Why should anyone listen to the liberal message now?

August 26, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  5. ANO

OBAMA- WHAT A GOOD CHOICE FOR A WIFE...THE BEST SPEECH OF ALL TIMES!!!!

August 26, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  6. Deeznuts

I was absolutely thrilled with Ted Kennedy's segment. I am still awe inspired by Michelle's speech. Oh by the way what's that long object? There, above you just out of reach? It is the proverbial bar Mrs. McCain. Just leave it alone. Some people got it. Some people just don't ever get it baby.

Today I am even more proud to be an American. All-around platinum performance!!

August 26, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  7. Independent -Fred

I had no idea she was that good of a speaker.

I'm still not sold on you or your husband but I'll give him a chance to earn my vote.

August 26, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  8. Darwin Nolan

As a American living and working abroad in Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, and Kuwait; I am treating and respected as a True American; by Europeans and Arabs. But, in my own country I have to prove that I am a True American. This is not just a fundamental problem for Obama, but by every non white American. If this mentality does not disappear; American will continue to decline not only from within but abroad in the countries before mentioned. Europeans really have lost all faith in the American culture and government. I live it everyday. And Obama can help install and restore a level of respect never seen in American and around the world.

August 26, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  9. Arielle

Barack and Michelle are an amazing couple with a beautiful family. It is testament to his character to see Barack sit back and allow is wife to take center stage. Tonight was wonderful and I am so proud that I have made the choice to vote for them Obama/Biden 08 & 12!! God Bless our families and God Bless America!

August 26, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  10. Nikki

Michelle Obama's speech was incredible!! Not even the republicans are mad at that. The Obamas' have a great family and relationship that's the kind of love this country needs. We also need a tough president and I'm sure you don't get this far as an African American with out being tough...

August 26, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  11. Schroeder

..and this is somehow news?

August 26, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  12. TN FOR OBAMA

Lots of minority faces in the crowd.

Next up...GOP with Lots of minority faces ON the Stage....NONE in the crowd!

August 26, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  13. A Woman in California for Obama

As a total Obama supporter, I hate to say it but it might become another Princess Diana story. Michelle might become much more talked about than Obama and she should after tonight's speech. I think the republians will have to look long and hard for critism of her. She has finally "got it" and it AIN'T going away. Look out Obama Michelle has stolen the show from you but being the loving husband you seem to be, I really don't think you would mind.

August 26, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  14. brenda s dickey

Michelle was phenominal tonite. I could feel the emotions go right thru me as I sat and watched her speech.

Thank you Michelle for that exciting, emotional, exhilarating, beautiful speech. I know Barack was so proud of you and we as supporters are very proud to be on the journey with you and Barack.. There is HOPE out there that we haven't seen for so very long and it creates an uplifting presence that America has needed for the last 8 years. I am volunteering for your Campaign in Farmington Missouri and we are working hard as a team to get you to the White House!!!!

Sincerely
    Brenda Dickey

August 26, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  15. Raymond Duke

I do not know. I did not watch it (the democrat national convention) and do not plan to. As soon as I seen how the democrat leadership put the fix in and how the media was in the tank for Obama and listen to all the famous statements that Obama , his wife and campagin surrgoates made about America and white people my mind was made up. I will be voting for John McCain with four other adults in this family.

August 26, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  16. Sandra Hall

Michelle's speech was awesome!!!
    I believe Michelle Obama and Hiliary Clinton are true Americans women and they both believe in helping the American people. I feel that Hiliary will be there for her party and her voice will be heard.

Everyone, is talking about the security of our country, this issue is very important to all Americans, but who put us in this position?

I also feel that the children of America is of great importance, and we do need to invest more in our families and the future of our country, which are our children.

There will always be those who will disagree, with Michelle and Barack Obama. I will support them along with my family and friends and I do agree with Biden as VP.

(Just, think no matter who he would have chose there would be a disagreement)
    Thank-you

August 26, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  17. Bill

Quick back ground on me:
    I was born in Chicago approximately a mile from the Obama's current home. Of our clan of about 300, I am the first college graduate. For most of my career I was struggling to demonstrate that I belonged in the positions I held. I am now 66 and retired. I said all of that to say this. The times are truly changing. Obama might become president, but I think there may still be enough discomfort with the idea of a U.S. President being black to throw the election to McCain who on paper seems like he should be an easy candidate to beat. This subject is too big to continue in this space . . . So I will just end it right here.

August 26, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  18. Kay

His demeaner was a great affirmation of the good job Michelle Obama did. He looked , spoke and acted like the proud husband and father that he is.

August 26, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  19. gtekam

People know much about the Obamas but still pretend or at least the media keep the hype going, just as they kept the primaries going, for one and only one reason: Make money on the ads.

On the other hand, I think they also know Mcphoney and wife, MCthief.

It beats me how a woman will steal medication from children, innocent desperate children, who may die from lack of their medecine, and still claim to be pro-life.

When you produce beer that kills, and steals children's medecines from your own charity, I think that is pretty hypocrit.

August 26, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  20. Independent99999

Obama's real success is owed to Michelle.
    What a great family Obama has .. Incredible.

August 26, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  21. angel

Michelle Obama 2012!!!

August 26, 2008 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  22. Christopher

Michelle Obama showed the world that she loves America and believes that it is for the future that we need to change the direction of the country in order to benefit all families of America. A GREAT JOB!

August 26, 2008 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  23. Jayson

Fantastic to see the love and admiration between the couple. Best family suited to live in White House.

August 26, 2008 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  24. god bless america!!!!

your wife is an angel!u are lucky man barack obama

August 26, 2008 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  25. David

Watching the convention was both exhilirating and exciting. What was annoying was the awful commentary by some of the CNN news team. Analysis is fine, but stop trying to form opinion on how the convention is going. I will be tuning into a different station for the rest of the coverage. What a shame!

August 26, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |