August 25th, 2008

Rosen: Michelle hits it out of the park

Hillary Rosen is a CNN contributor.
Hillary Rosen is a CNN contributor.

DENVER (CNN) – Wow. That was impressive. The poise, the energy, the dignity, the intelligence and the pride! I think she hit it out of the park. How do I define the home run?

Given her personal story, the Republicans won't suceed in future attacks on her patriotism. This woman beamed her pride in her American opportunity. Women can relate to her modern struggle of caring for her children and constantly worrying about their future.

Watch: Michelle Obama: "The American dream endures."

She showed us that she isn't just following Barack - she understands and believes in what he stands for. She showed us that she will stand by her convictions, ignore her critics and redefine, once again, the role of first lady.

"A current of history meets a new tide of hope."

A winner.

1. Tracy

Our new First Lady

August 25, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  2. Robert

That was a hollow speech, full of fluff and HOLLOWNESS. Spare me the "touching" moments...it was full of baloney to try to sell Barack...but Im not buying!!!

McCain 08

August 25, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  3. Scott L

Did she quote her college thesis paper?

August 25, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  4. Betty

CNN doesn't listen to us – they only want to talk about what a great political team they are. I disagree with them. Here are two that they won't post – maybe you will

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    We heard them on day one Bill.

It's only the twisting and spinning and clinton clinton clinton clinton that you all spew 24/7 that makes your eyes closed.

We've loved them for a long time, and you air-heads keep trying to tell us a warmongering old fool or a whining female might be better for us.

We're telling you all – YOU'RE WRONG!!!!

YOU don't like what you see, you're trying to lead us – STOP IT

Betty August 25th, 2008 11:17 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    We weren't allowed to hear all the speakers – Blitzer had to monotone and that republican pundit even over-rode Pelosi

You people did a piss poor job. You didn't cover it right. STOP BLAMING OTHERS – YOU SOUND LIKE HILLARY CLINTON AND BILL

August 25, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  5. B. Smart

It was so funny to see all of the FOX NEWS anchors in tears!

August 25, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  6. Greg FL.

Michele was truely outstanding. She spoke to the American public not down to them. It was really powerful.

August 25, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  7. BK

Out of the park? Are you kidding me? She read a script. Just like Obama does. We know whats she is really like. Pull out the thesis from college. Down right mean country. Just now proud of my country. Give me a break!

August 25, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  8. Andrew

Michelle did a great job. But James Carville is right about what we'll see at the republican convention. And what everyone seems to forget who leave comments here (the majority being Obama supporters) is that Democrats have a history of losing. Why? Because they choose to "take the high road" and it's ineffective.

August 25, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  9. Katrina

Very very wonderful. I didn't like how she was so obnoxiously framed as a mother, A MOTHER, MMOOTTHHEERR, rather than the highyl accomplished professional she also is, but she did a wonderful job - graceful, strong, moving, warm - kudos.

August 25, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  10. yonimal

As a woman, I was so touched by this speech. This is what I want my kids to aspire to. I was really touched by the story of her father. Hearing Michelle speak and remembering the picture of Cindy McCain, I can't believe that people would ever think that Michelle is an elitist. America please please wake up and look past the republican smear tactics and how they want to fool you. Please look at this inspirational story that we want for our children and please vote for Obama.

August 25, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  11. waiting2xhale

I love Michelle, she is smart, eloquent, funny, and engaging. The commentators rip her when she speaks her mind (seen as angry), when she holds back then she is seen as untrustworthy. She cannot win either way, so she might as well be her forceful, strong self.

As for the Hiliary so called voters, they were not going to vote for Barack anyway. They would rather have the same old thing, than to vote for a black man.

Speaking of trusting someone, Bill cheated on Hiliary, McCain cheated on his wife, Edwards cheated on his wife, etc. Barack is the only one in this game who seems to be trustworthy.

August 25, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  12. wannabemichelle

What a lovely lady…for the first time in my adult life I am proud to be rooting for a presidential candidate who made an impeccable choice of a life mate! And how fun to have the little ones in the white house!

Michelle, you represent democrat women beautifully. Thank you!

Malia Obama for President 2038!

August 25, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  13. Ben

Michelle did a fantastic job. I did not know she was such an effective speaker.

I also loved the unscripted family interaction.

SHE just may have gotten my vote – THEIR FAMILY IS BEAUTIFUL

(voter is a white male from TX)

August 25, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  14. Lisa

If James Carville would pull his head out of Clinton's butt he might actually know what is going on. No wonder the man is bitter and angry and wants everyone else to be. He's like a major buzz kill..

August 25, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  15. Christian, Tampa FL

I'm a 19 year old male, and I'm not afraid to admit that I was bawling like a baby during Michelle's speech. She was wonderful, and she appealed to the best nature of America. We need that joy, hope, and genuine American patriotism in the White House.

August 25, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  16. Arkansas Undertaker

I hate to agree with James Carville but he is right. I am a staunch Obama supporter but this was a really bad first night of the convention.

Craig Robinson, Michelle and Senator Kennedy all hit home runs, but they have to hit back at the McCain Campaign and the Bush Presidency.

THEY HAVE TO ATTACK OR LOOSE THE ELECTION-–PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!!!! KICK MCCAINS A–!!!!

Obama/Biden 2008

August 25, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  17. ACE

Tonight, I cried...

August 25, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  18. Voter

Please. She is not the mother of God. Relax. We've got the whole of the fall to get through. I'm much more interested in the lack of racial comments from one who finally "feels proud" (oh, I forgot) "REALLY proud" of her country.

They had to do a lot of damage control, so she was carefully scripted as the warm mommy who takes care of, and is occasionally annoyed by, "her man." One might almost forget about the picture of her sitting in church listening to Rev Wright's crap for 20+ years. And bringing her kids to hear it as soon as they were able to hear anything much!

The wonders of a good P.R. firm.

August 25, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  19. Phil Newton in Murphy, Oregon

We love you, Michelle!

August 25, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  20. Debi

She was great! She looked very natural...didn't look like she was reading from a teleprompter but speaking from her heart.

personally, i'm glad tonight was NOT a night of negatives and attacks against the current administration. i'm not stupid...i don't need to be told what a mess Bush has made of the country – i live here and i've lived through it. i'd much rather hear about how we can change things – how things will be better and what they (i.e. the Obama camp) intend to do to change things. Michelle started that conversation....bravo!

August 25, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  21. sacto joe

Yes, she did. It's time for Barry Bonds to move over – there's a new home run king – or queen in this case – in town!

August 25, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  22. MikeH

I missed her speech, don't much care to hear it anyway, but her personal story speaks volumes of what America should be, a place where hard work and vision are rewarded. Her life is truly remarkable.

What the wealthy elite Republicans want to do to this country is turn it into a pseudo-theocratic plutocracy, a modern serfdom. Most of the population, poorly-educated workers living in poverty, dying in wars that service the immensely wealthy few. In that America (AmeriKa) future Michelles wouldn't stand a chance. That is why this Republican (RepubliKlan) pillage of America must be stopped.

August 25, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  23. Chuck

Didn't Biden look lost? What a whack job he is. Nice change in picking the old senator from the East coast. Hair plugs look good though Joe.

August 25, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  24. S Callahan

I'll tell you , she sure did hit it out of the park! Very impressive. This blonde hair blue eyed middle aged 4th generation Dane was very impressed with her message, and style in delivery. If she was running for President tonight I would have committed my vote for her.! Saying Great job is an understatement.

August 25, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  25. sety

Excellent!!!!!!!! Mrs Michelle Obama did excellently well. Very impressive, I was moved and teary.

Mrs Michelle Obama, first lady '08