August 25th, 2008

Rosen: Michelle hits it out of the park

Hillary Rosen is a CNN contributor.
Hillary Rosen is a CNN contributor.

DENVER (CNN) – Wow. That was impressive. The poise, the energy, the dignity, the intelligence and the pride! I think she hit it out of the park. How do I define the home run?

Given her personal story, the Republicans won't suceed in future attacks on her patriotism. This woman beamed her pride in her American opportunity. Women can relate to her modern struggle of caring for her children and constantly worrying about their future.

Watch: Michelle Obama: "The American dream endures."

She showed us that she isn't just following Barack - she understands and believes in what he stands for. She showed us that she will stand by her convictions, ignore her critics and redefine, once again, the role of first lady.

"A current of history meets a new tide of hope."

A winner.

1. Lisa

this was awesome

August 25, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  2. Nancy Baskerville

I agree whole-heartedly with you. America loves Barack & Michelle.
    go Obamas!!!!!!

August 25, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  3. Perplexed

Michelle hit a grand slammer and could run for office on her own. She is an inspiration to all Americans, not just women or women of color. She makes Hillary look like a sissy and phoney. She spoke from the heart and she knocked me out!

August 25, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  4. Joshua College Station Texas

I feel honored by Mrs. Obama. She brought me to tears in this speech with her sincerity and goodness and decency and earnest concern for our country and for her family. I want the wife of our president to have this incredible kind of character. Mrs. Obama you are wonderful!

August 25, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  5. teri

I was disappointed. She was phoney. Not Herself and it showed. I got the impression that she would say anything to get her husband elected.

August 25, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  6. The REAL DEAL

My God,....Michelle really did hit the ball out of the park!!! Waaaaaaay out of the park.

August 25, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  7. Darius

Michelle Obama hit one out of the park...

Obama/Biden 2008

August 25, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  8. Sherry, Atlanta

HILARY, YOUR EXACTLY RIGHT. MICHELLE WILL BE THE BEST FIRST LADY THAT AMERICA HAS WITNESED. SHE'S BEAUTIFUL, AND VERY SMART. . .

THIS IS A LADY THAT WILL HOLD HER OWN, AND THE CRITICS WILL NOT WAVIER HER.

THE OBAMA'S/THE BIDEN'S '08-'12

August 25, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  9. WONDER AND UNDERSTANDING

I can truly state i was a clinton supported but now i can give my vote to BO because this woman has travel the same flight i have with my family. I guess it is time for us all to unite and not let the Republicans get what we sstand for. I also saw the new ad McCain has out about a woman stating that she was changing her vote to him. And when a reported asked her was she ok with him overturning R vs W she indicated that he implied to her that he was pro choice. The news has called him out on it. He has already stated that he would overturn this ruling. So he is lying to get the dems votes.

August 25, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  10. GBIAS

Mrs Obama accomplished what the DNC needed tonight.
    She was the quiet before the storm.

August 25, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  11. Realistic

Not at all surprising for a super well-educated, super intelligent person what Michelle has proven herself to be. She is no Stepford Wife or Beer Princess.

The white supremecists, men-hating lesbians, and other poor white trash who constitute the 20 or so PUMAs can now return to your regular programming.

August 25, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  12. Igor

Her speech tonight was truely amazing. It shows us how she had to deal with hard times in her life. And most of us know really good how hard and difficult life can be in this country. For sure she has touched many hearts of people with this speech.

August 25, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  13. America #1

A lovely speech just absolutely beautiful, warm and moving.
    Michelle Obama (a very special and beautiful lady)
    May God Bless her family and the democratic Party!

August 25, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  14. Wayne

Well I think Ms. Obama did great very informative but I have to ask this question we have been hearing from Mr. obama for almost 19 months and people stil saying they dont know anything about the Obama's I would like to know what is they want to know about them he is on television eveyday print everyday and still someone makes the stupid comment I dont know enought about him and enough about Hillary she lost it is not about her and her 18 million cracks if she don't want to support Me. Obama why don't she just say it why would he want her and all her baggage on the ticket he won and it is his choice I wonder what the clinton people would have done if she had won and not put Mr. Obama on the ticket

August 25, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  15. jimmy

STILL THE DULLEST FIRST NIGHT OF A NATIONAL CONVENTION
    WHERE WAS THE THEME. WHERE WERE THE GOOD SPEAKERS
    ALL THE NIGHT NEEDED WAS PELOSI AND DEAN SPEAKING
    AND IT WOULD BAVE BEEN A DISASTER. MICHELLE DID WELL FOR OBAMA, BUT THAT WAS IT . NOTHING GAINED NOTHING
    TO CHANGE THE AMERICAN PERCEPTION OF AN UNQUALIFIED DEMOCRATIC NOMINEE.

August 25, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  16. Mai

I listened and heard her speech and was NOT impressed at all. She and her husband does not represent my values because her words were just more political rhetric. They were hallow.

August 25, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  17. Pat_Pinehurst NC

Thank you for reporting what we felt ! Carvelle needs to gain some understanding of the actual Democratic candidate for President of the United States. Unfortunately, CNN in general did a disappointing if not terrible job of letting the public get a feel for the momentun and message. Thank goodness we could actually watch the feed on the internet which was certainly much better than Blitzer and gang's personal agenda.

August 25, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  18. Bob Halpenny

I suggest CNN missed the mark. They chose not to telecast speaches from Pelosi and other speakers who did speak out against Bush and McCain. CNN's commentators then tried to cover up their error by blaming the Dems for a "dull" 1st 2 hours!

August 25, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  19. B

I am at lost for words for what I've just witnessed. As a Black male I cannot begin to express the amount of emotion this woman made me feel tonight. God Bless America.

August 25, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  20. Pat Lucas

Michelle Obama was wonderful, beautiful, poised and expressed herself very sincerely. I love my children as she does, and come from blue collar parents too. I went to college, my kids have gone to college. I totally relate to the Obamas.

CNN commentator Carville, was mistaken about the evening being too slow or however he described it. It was warm, peaceful and brought all kinds of people together. CNN did not let us see all of the speeches. I was especially waiting to hear Nance Pelosi, but they did not show her speaking. The speakers that we did get to see were inspiring, especially Senator Kennedy. I look forward to the rest of the week. I will watch some of it on CNN, but I will watch a lot of it on the Internet, so I don't miss anyone that speaks.

I was disappointed in CNN's coverage, and what they chose not to show. There was too much commentary when they should have shown us everyone who spoke.

August 25, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  21. Texas Vet

I switched to PBS, they did not interrupt any of the speeches and gave a fair neutral analysis including historical references that included positive things about both the Republican and Democratic Party. If really brought home how different the current Republican party is.

I believe the goal of the Democratic Convention is not to attack McCain, but to help us understand who Barack Obama really is. I enjoyed watching Ted Kennedy reminding us that it is our social responsibility to make this a better place for everyone. The speech by Michelle Obama was terrific.

It exposed us to the personal side of Barack and drove home that both Michelle and Obama didn’t climb up the Money Tree but focused on Community Service. Anyone who watched that speech and still feels that the Obamas are a couple of flim-flam radical impostors are basically brain dead, juvenile enough to be led by blind emotions or a liar.

August 25, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  22. Jascon0C

Truly inspiring..I bet that stepford wife will pale in comparison to Michelle

August 25, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  23. Leslie

I am a Hillary supporter and I think Michelle was outsting !!!

August 25, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  24. art

I think the best part of Michelle Obama's speech is when her daughters appeared on the stage and talked to Senator Obama.
    They seemed like a normal aerican family and showed a softer side of Senator Obama by the way the talked to his father.

In regards to Michelle Obama's speech I was dissapointed. I expected her to be a better speaker given her law background but her nervousness might be the result of the larger audience and expectations over her speech and image in general.

August 25, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  25. AUC

God bless the Obama family – their story is our story it's America's story. WOW!!!!!

A vote for the future of my son and my grandsons.... change I truly can believe in!!!

Obama 08/12