August 25th, 2008

Rosen: Michelle hits it out of the park

Hillary Rosen is a CNN contributor.
Hillary Rosen is a CNN contributor.

DENVER (CNN) – Wow. That was impressive. The poise, the energy, the dignity, the intelligence and the pride! I think she hit it out of the park. How do I define the home run?

Given her personal story, the Republicans won't suceed in future attacks on her patriotism. This woman beamed her pride in her American opportunity. Women can relate to her modern struggle of caring for her children and constantly worrying about their future.

Watch: Michelle Obama: "The American dream endures."

She showed us that she isn't just following Barack - she understands and believes in what he stands for. She showed us that she will stand by her convictions, ignore her critics and redefine, once again, the role of first lady.

"A current of history meets a new tide of hope."

A winner.

1. ABBY

agreed. Chis Mathews said it best ..."the reachables were reached tonight"

Thats all one can ask for.

Michelle Obama 2016-2024

August 25, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  2. Wow

I was very upset that Hillary didn't get the nomination but tonight after hearing 2 powerful speeches it reminded me why I'm a democrat!!! All this time my head was telling me vote for mccain but tonight my heart is telling me otherwise and how wrong I was to even think to vote for McCain just because I was angry and upset.

August 25, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  3. Simmons

Michele did a wonderful job. Anderson Cooper said there wasn't any "meat" in the democratic convention tonight. I say the reason was that CNN & MSNBC did a horrible job of covering it. The commentators talked constantly, giving their opinions. I finally turned to C-Span (which I encourage everyone to do) and got to make my own decisions about the speakers hence I heard alot of "meat". Sorry Anderson, I usually like your reporting but not tonight. I was a backer of Hillary and needed to listen carefully, I did so , and now feel secure in Barack running our country.

August 25, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  4. Leslie

OUTSTANDING is what I meant to type.

August 25, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  5. Thank you Hillary Rosen

Thank you Hillary Rosen for pointing out to Anderson Cooper about "How negative they where being" I'm sorry you had to experience that, but that's CNN when it comes to Obama and the like. That's why, when I want objective news I go to the "Huffington Post".

August 25, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  6. seattle indie

Hey Michelle Obama like Senator Obama is a GREAT SPEAKER! Don't get sucked into the crafted message.

Wait for the debates to see who should be leading us. Conventions are propaganda events. Each party will try to win your vote but saying whatever will get your vote.

Look at their records. Obama is the most liberal voting senator with Biden the 3rd most.

August 25, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  7. Patrick B

Very inspiring! This is how politics should be run in this country. We need positive people that can be role models for our children and the rest of the world.

August 25, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  8. Turnabout is Fair Play

I agree, Michelle hit a homerun tonite. You are going to get your haters but those are just jealous Republican idiots and Hillary supporters still stuck in the primary mindset who just have to let it go. YOU GO MICHELLE!!

August 25, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  9. Andrea Holmen

A former Republican, I watched tonight's convention with interest. May I say, I was VERY impressed!!!! I was absolutely enthralled with Michelle Obama's speech. What WONDERFUL ideals!

My comments, however, are directed at the commentators who insisted tonight was a 'waster of time'. I was VERY pleased to note that the evening was spent supporting the ideals of the candidates running, not running down the opposition. In the last election I became so angry at the smear campaigns that I actually changed my vote in a few cases because I felt some persons had gotten 'too dirty'. GIve me hope and ideals to hope for, not heated fights, any day. Quite frankly, I don't think anyone needed to say anything about needing a change. Isn't it obvious?

August 25, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  10. John

Congrats to Michelle O and the girls. It was a very uplifting and positive message. Very refreshing! Shame on CNN for giving that idiot Carville a dime(he's a blowhard who obviously loves his own ridiculous voice). Also Wolf may be past his time. Maybe old McCain will be decent enough to also be postive(yeah right).
    Come on USA, it is time to embrace the reality that to be effective as a leader, you don't need the same old type of face. He may have had a rough go 40 years ago(a lot of us did), and I appreciate his service, but to elect a guy who ruined a family and then treated himself to a superrich wife, and now wants to get a 4 year chapter in the history books(face it he couldn't do 8) rattling sabers and lowering his wife's taxes...well is that what America is all about? He should spend his years counting their houses. Dang he brought the negative out in me!

August 25, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  11. Efi, Hutschison MN

Michelle was terrific! She gave an outstanding and inspiring speech. She will make a great first lady.

August 25, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  12. Wow

michelle obama I thought she was a fake but tonight you proof me wrong!!!! Awesome speech!!

August 25, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  13. S. Holt

She was dynamic. She had women and men in tears, I'm home watching TV almost in tears. She was so sincere. We are a party of unity and democracy. I thought the whole night was great. Nothing negative for the news media to chew on, although I know the negative campaigning of that Republican party will find something negative to say. We do not need four more years of a republic.
    She showed she was a champion of women just as much as Hillary.
    She gave Hillary her praise.

August 25, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  14. independent now

I FELT HER SPEECH WAS GOOD. WELLLLLLL REHEARSED I FELT THE LAST MOMENTS WITH THE CHILDREN WAS VERY STAGED AND I DONT THINK THAT PLAYED WELL. BUT I DO FEEL THE FIRST NIGHT WAS A WASH. PELOSI WORST SPEECH EVER. CARTER NOT MUCH BETTER, TED KENNEDY JUST SAD IT WILL BE HIS LAST CONVENTION. I DIDNT FIND HIS SPEECH VERY INSPIRING. CAROLINE KENNEDY, VERY DISSAPOINTED IN HER ANSWERS LATELY REGUARDING THE VP PROCESS. WHO I FEEL SHE SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN PART OF ANYWAY. I FEEL OVERALL,IT DID NOT CHANGE MY MIND ABOUT THE THINGS I HAVE HEARD AND WITNESS REGUARDING HER DEROGATORY COMMENTS REGUARDING THIS COUNTRY. I FEEL WE WILL FIND ALOT MORE ABOUT HER THAT WONT BE GOOD. I FEEL THE PRESS IS SHIELDING HER/SURPRISE

August 25, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  15. Carl from MI

She was awesome!! Not just some rich, trophy wife like Cindy.

August 25, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  16. kathy

WAY TO GO DEMOCRATS YOU HAVE JUST ELECTED
    ANOTHER REPUBLICIAN.

GOOD GOD!!!!!

August 25, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  17. Ted:Canada

Well done! Michelle

Best we have seen in Canada from the 1st lady in a long time...

Come to Canada soon and bring the kids – we welcome you with open arms.

Internationally you have "done your country proud"

August 25, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  18. Marrissa in Burlington, NC

I AM ABSOLUTELY STAR STRUCK! Michelle Obama is all that young women (white, black, asian, latino, ect.) should look up to and strive to be. she is such an amazing woman and the author of this artice is absolutely right, she is a woman that all women can relate to in the modern struggle of being a mother and facing the struggles of the future. I wasn't completely sold on barack being president, but michelle obama has definitely done wonders for easing my tensions!!!

August 25, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  19. Susie

Wow!-What a amazing speech by Michelle! That should have just won the election for Obama!!! I just can't see Cindy McCain topping that at all.

August 25, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  20. her2

If you did not connect with the Obama's tonite, it is either you were not listening or you are being mischevious, period.

August 25, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  21. April D.

Michelle Obama....THANK YOU!! What a fantastic job. I have never watched the D.N.C. with tears in my eyes. Thank You for being so inspiring!!

August 25, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  22. lila

I fully agree. She did noit just give a speech. She touched hearts. She connected like Bill Clinton can with a room... she made it personal.. it seemsed one on one.. with millions watching. She knocked it out of the park, indeed.

August 25, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  23. Gideon

I think the story Michelle tells today is not just a story of an American dream and hope. It is the story of those who strugle in this unfair world to become sombody, to provide a better life for their sons and daughters.

He truly is a nation of the world.

I am proud to witness this in this land of opportuinity.

August 25, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  24. KATHLEEN

To Hillary Rosen

Wow, you said it better than I can say it. And I will commend CNN
    for the camera shots of the audience reaction. The women were
    crying and some just in awe.
    Michelle Obama showed her law school intelligence and she was
    truly beautiful tonight. Obama will be proud.

August 25, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  25. Joe Reed

I am not an African-American, and tonight, after hearing Michelle Obama's speech I am more proud than I have ever been as an American and will be prouder than ever to have Michelle Obama as the next first lady.

August 25, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |