August 25th, 2008

Rosen: Michelle hits it out of the park

Hillary Rosen is a CNN contributor.
Hillary Rosen is a CNN contributor.

DENVER (CNN) – Wow. That was impressive. The poise, the energy, the dignity, the intelligence and the pride! I think she hit it out of the park. How do I define the home run?

Given her personal story, the Republicans won't suceed in future attacks on her patriotism. This woman beamed her pride in her American opportunity. Women can relate to her modern struggle of caring for her children and constantly worrying about their future.

Watch: Michelle Obama: "The American dream endures."

She showed us that she isn't just following Barack - she understands and believes in what he stands for. She showed us that she will stand by her convictions, ignore her critics and redefine, once again, the role of first lady.

"A current of history meets a new tide of hope."

A winner.

1. Paul Terry

Gee, I think she's (Hilary Rosen) in love! Keep this kind of adulation coming and there may be a job next year at the White House. How exciting!!!

August 25, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  2. Betty

Would the reporters get it straight?! When you refer to Michelle inspiring women in America....that is all that needs to be said.....not women in America and black women in America. They are not two separate groups....We are women in America.

I get so tired of the media talking about black, white, male, female, latino.etc. etc. It just perpetuates prejudicism which divides us as a people. We are all just Americans and tired of being labelled.

August 25, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  3. John Dinwiddie

Thank you, Mr. Carville. McCain thanks you.
    What is the damage caused by starting the
    convention on a civil, warm hearted note
    compared to the damage done by an air head
    of your ilk who belittles the affair? There is plenty
    of time and plenty of reason to attack the
    opposition. If you need instant gratification,
    you need to work on yourself. If you need
    to say something that puts you in the spot
    light regardless of cost, you need to work
    on yourself. You are a hazard.

But this is the real world, and when you
    are not functioning as a political henchman,
    you are a pundit. Lots of both. Be proud.

August 25, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  4. Richard

nice written speech michelle you can read a teleprompt just like your fraud husband. i'm not buying your magic potion sorry.

August 25, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  5. David from SC

Let's see the neocons twist this very red blooded, gifted, talented, and smart American words into the king of hate and fear that they knew so well.

Mrs. Obama has always spoken of the American family and how important it is to define the core of what America truly is.

The neocons will find a way to take this message that DOES NOT attack them in any way, and contort it into lies, fear, and hate.

Go ahead and vote for the neocons and feel safe locked in your closet.

Michelle IS the real American sister, daughter, mother, and wife.

August 25, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  6. Lynn Pembroke Pines

Wow is that all you could say about Michelle? That does not look too good does it. When someone does something good you write a lot about them and post it. Not a tiny comment. Rosen had to have said more CNN? or maybe not.

Don't get me wrong I do like Mrs. Obama. Actually more than her husband. I don't want to talk about or see their private home life. Talk to me about the economy? Security? etc... Real issues! Obama could be a Bill Clinton sleeping around I don't care as long as he does a good job like Clinton did with fixing the econmy. Why do American obesses with home life of the rich and famous? That should be private for Obama and his family!

People grow up! Stick to the issues.

August 25, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  7. Phil Boden

CNN made it pretty clear she would be following a teleprompter. Just once I want to see someone talk on their own with even if they make mistakes

August 25, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  8. BK

Where is my comment? That speech was crap and nothing we haven't heard before. Are you trying to cater to Obama?

August 25, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  9. Michael Maddox

I'm sorry. But after tonight, anyone who believes that MIchelle was born with a silver spoon, or is an unpatriotic militant, is either racist, ignorant, or the person has such a deep-rooted hatred of Obama that if supporting him would immune their souls from the pits of Hell, they wouldn't take it.

August 25, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  10. Proud American

I'll be more than honored to have Michelle Obama as my First Lady. What a woman!!!

August 25, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  11. Ready for the Future.

Not taking sides, I honestly do not think that Mitchelle Obama could have done a better job expressing herself, her beliefs and that of her husband.
    She has brought the conversation to a point that we should start talking about the differences in policies and not the measure of the candidates' patriotism.
    All we can do now is hope that the targeted group was watching.

August 25, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  12. Mike P.

I have to admit I was a little skeptical about Barack Obama I had hoped that Hillary would be the nominee. Mrs. Obama has changed my opinion.

WOW!!! is the only expression of the impression she left me with. I just wasn't sure about Obama. I consider myself an independent democrat and could have just as easily voted for John McCain. Michelle sealed the deal for me. Obama 08.

August 25, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  13. 2Nurselady

I don't know why people think Michelle Obama was so great tonight. It was a very average speech.

This convention night was one of the most boring ever, in my opinion.

Regarding Caroline Kennedy, I think Teddy Kennedy deserved the tribute, but she was otherwise such a huge disappointment. She could have taken some lessons on how to be more gracious from her mother while her mother was still alive. Caroline was inexcusably rude to Wolf Blitzer and was otherwise just not very impressive. Wolf asked her about the process used for deciding on the VP runningmate and she snapped back with a rude response.

I used to at least like Caroline and respect where she came from, but that's all gone now.

August 25, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  14. Shelby

I can't stand Michelle. She has got to be the most arrogant woman on the face of the earth .And how she thrusts her ugly children on stage? She is the reason I will stay home in Nov. I am a democrat, but I will never vote for a woman as arrogant and mean and elitist as her.

August 25, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  15. Rita from California

What a fantastic speech! What an impressive First Lady she will be!

August 25, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  16. S. Denice

I agree 100%!!!!! However, I'm really confused about the position some Democrats and the majority of the CNN pundits and commentators are taking. I'm beginning to see where they are enjoying the dangerous division that exists between the Obama and Clinton camps. They just cannot refrain from highlighting the friction that apparently still exist. I really enjoyed Michelle Obama's speech. I saw a side of her that makes me really want to vote for Barack. I'm glad that negative politics did not overshadow the evening. Excellent job MO!!

August 25, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  17. 58 year old white woman

Go Michelle! We love you:))))))))))))))))!

August 25, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  18. jason, tx

She did so well. What an amazing woman.

August 25, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  19. Anonymous

It absolutely amazes me that a news station like CNN can claim the Democratic party wasted the night by not focusing their attention on Bush and the economic sorrows of the day but yet showed little to none of the speakers throughout the night. Give me a little more of the convention and a little less of Wolf, Anderson and James telling us their opinion and the American public might be able to form their own opinion of what was accomplished. For a second i thought the CNN trio was heading up the convention and Carville was going to replace Michelle on the podium during her speach. I went to public access just to see what was really goign on at the convention. The coverage on CNN tonight has proven to me that i CANNOT rely on this station to provide me the type of coverage this convention deserves. Thank you for once again proving that the media has a wonderful way of ruining a wonderful start to a potentialy electrifying week. Michelle was just what this night was looking for. Too bad it was lost a bit with the negative CNN commentary.

August 25, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  20. Blinded by the lie

If anybody missed the speech Michelle gave...go to Obama's wesite to see it...Obviously, CNN was talking through it...I watched it live stream...caz I didn't want any interruptions from the blabber mouths killing it all.

August 25, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  21. Former PUTA Member

I was an angry Clinton Supportor, and even joined PUMA.

But Tonight, Michelle Obama made everything so clear!!!

Obama Gets My Vote!!!!!
    Obama 08!!!!!

August 25, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  22. Michael Vick ATL GA

James Carville's critique came BEFORE Ted and Michelle spoke
    so where is he hiding under the desk now?? (or under Hillary's skirt)

The convention wasn't bad, but CNN's coverage was. What are u guys at CNN thinking??We need negativity and hatred toward Bush McCain?? Are u guys for real?
    Needless to say I switched over to CSPAN, No analysis needed, I can make up my own mind.
    CNN was the biggest loser tonight

August 25, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  23. Archer

Well done in calling out the hosts and the panel on the negative spin in their analysis.

Endless repetition of critical memes artlessly disguised as questions, hammering of down slope interpretations and views and the switching of the topic back to the "no red meat" complaint shortly after Mrs. Obama's stunning speech are standard underhanded communication techniques of those who believe their audience is largely unaware of this sort of verbal trickery.

Wolf, Anderson and company should be aware that every day more and more people are learning to recognize subtle deceit when they hear it.

August 25, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  24. Lisa

here come the negative atatcks. People ready to blame blame blame... Boring

August 25, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  25. Dennis F

Once again, the Democratic party continuesto make the same mistakes. The first day of the convention was totally a strike out.

Obama is suuposed to be an intelligent bright politician and yo would think that he would have used some of this intelligence to at least given Hillary Clinton some respect and consider her for his running mate as VP. He could have at least given her that much and then proceeded to slect Biden. This would have gone over well with her supporters including myself but this was not his plan.

This decision to not give her at least some respect and consideration makes me wonder if he really is that smart and ready for this challenge. At this point I probably will not vote for anybody. Well of course many people will jump all over this but from my perspective Obama is just all hype and no substance once again, America chooses the wrong person to fixe the problems.

Once again America is all about opting/choosing the SIZZLE and not the SUBSTANCE. All the Holywood types are out there like the idiots they are praising the candidate that has no real track record except the one that has been fabricated, Democrates are going to be lucky at best if they win this one. Your would think that Obama would have done more to bring over all of the Clinton delegates. Well Good Luckkkkkk!

August 25, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |