August 25th, 2008

Rosen: Michelle hits it out of the park

Hillary Rosen is a CNN contributor.
Hillary Rosen is a CNN contributor.

DENVER (CNN) – Wow. That was impressive. The poise, the energy, the dignity, the intelligence and the pride! I think she hit it out of the park. How do I define the home run?

Given her personal story, the Republicans won't suceed in future attacks on her patriotism. This woman beamed her pride in her American opportunity. Women can relate to her modern struggle of caring for her children and constantly worrying about their future.

Watch: Michelle Obama: "The American dream endures."

She showed us that she isn't just following Barack - she understands and believes in what he stands for. She showed us that she will stand by her convictions, ignore her critics and redefine, once again, the role of first lady.

"A current of history meets a new tide of hope."

A winner.

1. VOICE OF REASON

DEFINE OBJECTIVE REPORTING. NOW EXPLAIN HOW THE WHOLE WORLD KNOWS IT WAS A CANNED ,TV DINNER SPEECH WRITTEN FOR HER. REMEMBER YOU REPORTING ON HER HANDLERS ECT. IF YOU SAY THE WORLD REALLY HAS NO HUNGER BECAUSE OF A MISQUOTE OR JUST MEAN SPIRITED RIGHT WING LUG NUTS DOES IT GO AWAY. SAY IT WITH ME NOW KIDS AT CNN-NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! THE TRUE CHARACTER OF THESE TWO WILL COME TO LIGHT. CNN SHOULD PUBLICALL ENDORSE THE OBAMA RUN. WE WILL NEED FACES TO PUT FINGERS IN WHEN THE PRICE IS TO BE PAID. YOU DO KNOW SOMEONE ELSE WROTE AND MARKETED THIS WHOLE THING, NOT MICHELLE OBAMA RIGHT?

August 25, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  2. anonymous

Michelle Obama was awesome. No could hold a candle to her. I am a republican too. Will vote however my heart leads me.

August 25, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  3. Rishi Bagga

I wholeheartedly agree. Tonight was everything Michelle needed to do. Even my parents, baby boomers / old school Democrats who were not on board with Obama spoke to me afterwards and, for the first time, felt they understood the Obamas.

Campaigns are not "about the issues," regardless of what people would like to think – they are actually about the issues related to themselves. People don't care about the policy, they care how the policy affects them. And, personality of those putting the policy in place is infinitely important in that light.

Michelle hit it out of the park.

August 25, 2008 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  4. lila

She had heart and soul. Not the empty glazed look of a blinking toad like McCain.

August 25, 2008 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  5. annick, MD

I have never been so moved with a political speech. Michelle showed us that she is what we need in the White house: a first lady who deeply understands the very struggles of every single american.
    Thanks Hillary for your comments

August 25, 2008 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  6. Mike

I didn't buy it for one moment.

The American people will not forget her previous comments, fake smile...what a fraud.

Go McCain!!!

August 25, 2008 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  7. Carol

I am still undecided. Her speech didn't have any substance and seemed like she was speaking to what every one wanted to hear. She planted words to get our attention but it didn't seem from the heart. Steelmill daughter.

August 25, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  8. robert

Boringggggg!, The try to change image is not working. Mrs. underpriviliged homemaker does not relate with America.

August 25, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  9. white 49 yr old woman for Obama

I am so touched, awed and proud of tonight's historic moment and the beautiful person that Michelle Obama is. She is truly a woman of substance, of faith and of integrity. We would be lucky to have such a beautiful family live in our white house and lead our country out of the last terrible eight years we have had to endure in more ways than one. I am more sure than ever that Obama belongs in the white house, to govern our country through and with the men and women that we the people, vote into public service. Please America remember that we can choose our elected officials and those who will make decisions, good or bad on our bahlf, that we all have to live with. We need Obama to lead the free world!
    Obama 08
    Michelle really did hit it out of the park!

August 25, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  10. Laura

I think Michelle Obama did a great job tonight and told her story. You can see that the makeover has worked. She was mild and enjoyable to watch.

I also think that people were unfair to James Carville. He is a very experienced campaign manager. After all, he helped get the last Democratic President elected by using the economy. I agree with him that the Republicans are not going to waste any time in labeling Barack Obama and since the dems only have 4 days to make the case before the reps. have their chance, the night was pretty much wasted. I think they could have still had Michelle and Ted Kennedy but put some other speakers who would have been tough on McCain.

So instead of name calling of James Carville, give the man some credit.

August 25, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  11. Danny in Chicago

As a long time follower of Obama, I'll admit that I've not really heard Michelle Obama speak that much (however, still probably more than most). Tonight – she was simply on fire. I can't wait to hear if Cindy McCain speaks. Does she speak? I've never even heard her speak any words at all actually. I've only see her hold on to John to keep him upright, have her arm in a cast, and be offered to display her 'talents' in a 'pageant' contest (i.e. wet t-shirt contest).

In modern America, the first lady is practically as important as the President himself. She is the role model for all female Americans around the world, and unlike Cindy McCain, Michele Obama is probably the strongest candidate we've ever seen (and yes, I'm including Hillary Clinton in that analysis).

Tonight was a great night for 'normal' people. Thank you to Teddy and Michelle for highlighting the FIRST night!

August 25, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  12. george mcorby

Wow, that was objective. Could you be a little less sycophantic? You mean this puff piece of a speech is supposed to erase her sitting in the pew for 20 year listening to Rev. Wright bash America and suddenly she is "not to be questioned about patriotism". Phhhhlleeeaase....

August 25, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  13. Jim Warner

Franky, if I am allowed to say, I found her tedious, scripted, fake and rosey from that vacation in Hawaii.

If I hadn't heard her earlier comments and the fact that she allowed her children to sit through sermon after sermon from the racist Jeremiah Wright, I might have believed it.

August 25, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  14. APS in Hawaii

I have no problem with her stating her love for her husband. However, the Democrats blew this first night in trying to be too nice. They should have honed in on McCain. I agree with James Carville, the first night should be the message we want to convey to the people, second night could be touchy feely. How well, it was a nice speech.

August 25, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  15. Louise from ohio

Why are the repugs such pitfyul people??

August 25, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  16. Ryan

I think this truly silences the educated critics of Michelle. Sorry Richard for not making the cut... I believe that America now sees her as who she really is; the next first lady.

August 25, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  17. brewme

That was the most uninspired speech I have ever heard. The deal with his children was scripted, The largest ovation she garnered was when she mentioned Hillary. The DNC has a real problem!!!

August 25, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  18. Rick FL

Michelle Obama delivered an inspiring address this evening. She is a strong, intelligent & beautiful wife/mother. It would be an honor to call her our next First Lady IMHO. Job well done.
    God Bless America!

August 25, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  19. Denise

Now the dilemma: Will the real Michelle please stand up!

August 25, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  20. Matt

Anyone saying oh she was just reading a teleprompter. Come on. There won't be one speach by EITHER party that won't be on a teleprompter. Everyone who has ever made a speach has notes to what their speach is if not a direct text for it! Get over it! She was good, just freakin admit it and stop spewing hatred.

August 25, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  21. April in Texas

I thought Michelle Obama was awesome! What a wonderful blessing it will be to have a strong loving woman and fantastic mother as our First Lady. She told her story with grace and style and it makes me even a stronger Obama supporter.

Obama/Biden 08

August 25, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  22. Carol

Michelle Obama for president

August 25, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  23. John Buchanan

She was Amazing and Brilliant! The Perfect First Lady for the First Family of America!

August 25, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  24. JAZZ

This is not a Frank Capra movie. The "real" Michelle is playing in living color on the blogs and YouTube as she speaks and will no doubt appear in republican 527 ads soon. SIGH!!! Why couldn't she have acted this way during the primaries?

August 26, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  25. Seanie

Michelle deliver an awesome speech. I love it.

August 26, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |