August 25th, 2008

Rosen: Michelle hits it out of the park

Hillary Rosen is a CNN contributor.
Hillary Rosen is a CNN contributor.

DENVER (CNN) – Wow. That was impressive. The poise, the energy, the dignity, the intelligence and the pride! I think she hit it out of the park. How do I define the home run?

Given her personal story, the Republicans won't suceed in future attacks on her patriotism. This woman beamed her pride in her American opportunity. Women can relate to her modern struggle of caring for her children and constantly worrying about their future.

Watch: Michelle Obama: "The American dream endures."

She showed us that she isn't just following Barack - she understands and believes in what he stands for. She showed us that she will stand by her convictions, ignore her critics and redefine, once again, the role of first lady.

"A current of history meets a new tide of hope."

A winner.

1. KenB, MI

We are what we believe...theres a line for you.

August 26, 2008 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  2. Joan Nagy

Hoorah, Michelle. I was with you every step of the way and would love to see you and Barack grace the White House with your presence.

August 26, 2008 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  3. gtekam

That is why Clinton lost: negative attacks and crying foul when she was the attacker.

August 26, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  4. JImmy in California

I think Michelle did tonight just what she set out to do. She has made know to the country the Obama's. Now with this having been done, the party can move on and take on Bush and McCain in the remaining weeks. She gave a beautiful speech tonight.

August 26, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  5. Jean

I agree excellent speech.

August 26, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  6. Sammy

Why does Mr. Carville believe that Democrats should stoop to the level of the Republicans just so they can win an election? Americans have been stupid twice – the first time they bought into the idea that Al Gore was boring and Bush was the man you would like to drink beer with; the second time, it was to say that John McCain flip-flopped.

Ask people now if they have the means to drink beer, and if Bush is their type to sit down to drink beer; ask people now if being inflexible has served the best interests of our country, as Bush has done.

These are the issues that people should be aware of. If Mr. Carville is still hurting because Hillary didn't get the nomination, he can relocate to another country.

August 26, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  7. Jan from Iowa

An exciting speech and an exciting first day of the Democratic Convention.
    C-SPAN does a complete coverage and the plus side is that it doesn't have the negative side comments of Carville and others on CNN, etc.
    IPT did a great coverage, also, with intelligent comments and an interview with Jimmy Carter.
    I thoroughly enjoyed Day 1 and am looking forward to Day 2.

OBAMA/BIDEN..........A great combo!!
    We need you in the White House!!

Kennedy speech/Leach's speech/Michelle's speech
    were so on target !!

August 26, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  8. From California

I think she was phony, especially her remarks about Hillary Clinton! Isn’t she the reason why Hillary Clinton is not on the ticket. I am not convinced. Democrats have lost my vote this time.

August 26, 2008 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  9. angel

Michelle Obama 2012!!!

August 26, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  10. Wendy

I thought she did great. It was nice not to hear McCain's name for an evening, refreshing to only hear positives.

August 26, 2008 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  11. Christopher

A great message for all of America! This was a great message because it displayed what America really believes in, and it the America that it should all about! Not a divded America! But one America for all!

August 26, 2008 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  12. Jack

Outstanding speech. Well educated, down to earth couple, ready to lead the country, truly deserve to live in the White House .
    21 st century president and first lady. America – you are blessed.

August 26, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  13. CitizenS

Michelle O….a resounding applause to you! There were many, many people shown in the crowd during her speech that were moved to tears. Just seeing how she is imploring the American people to see that Barack is a normal person with the same red blood running through him as you and I. He just happens to have darker color on his skin. Should Americans sit back while the world watches and waits to see if we fall in this test of the world power that we are because of our own inadequacies to transcend the color of mere skin and not look to the bigger picture? No, we need to RISE UP and show the world we are a MIGHTY power indeed and will be reckoned with for our tenacity in holding a mighty nation together! OBAMA/BIDEN 08

August 26, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  14. TheBigAl

Michelle,
    You're the real thing. Cindy and John McCain are all about buying houses. You and Barack are all about family and country. Good for you. I'm a Republican for Obama, and millions like me are joining the movement every day. I hate McCain for lying to the American people on behalf of big oil, and hiring Karl Rove thugs to run on smears instead of issues. What happened to the Republican party that once was? It's gone, gone, gone, and it's time for a change.

August 26, 2008 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  15. C Red

Way to go Hillary Rosen......you have a heart, but I bet you can be tough as nails too. That is the beauty of women they know when to be tough and when not to. The fact that you recognized Ms. Obamas message as beneficial to Democrats illustrates you have an open mind and heart. I am convinced that racism even in its most minimal form is evil.

August 26, 2008 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  16. Tim Grimes

This is just the beginning. The first step. People in my experience are afraid of change. But boy does this country need it. I have never had my ear so close to the ground politically. I know this sentiment has echoed around the country for some time now. It is almost a cliche. I feel proud of what it happening. I will buy any magic potion that will cure the wounds of this country. And by the way Michelle knows how to deliver a thought provoking and emotional speech. That is more than can be said of Mr. McCain.

August 26, 2008 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  17. Cindy

I thought that was an amazingly moving speech. By far, one of the best I've seen. It spoke to me on so many levels. I am a fan!

August 26, 2008 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  18. Paula

It's refreshing to see a fun night,unity and no slander.

August 26, 2008 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  19. Tim Grimes

This is just the beginning. The first step. People in my experience are afraid of change. But boy does this country need it. I have never had my ear so close to the ground politically. I know this sentiment has echoed around the country for some time now. It is almost a cliche. I feel proud of what is happening. I will buy any magic potion that will cure the wounds of this country. And by the way Michelle knows how to deliver a thought provoking and emotional speech. That is more than can be said of Mr. McCain.

August 26, 2008 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  20. Melissa

Rosen is spot on! I was a Hillary supporter BEFORE she supposedly found her "voice" in New Hampshire. Unfortunately, the baggage of Bill and and his leftover cronies like Carville sunk Hillary's ship. It's too bad. By the time she got a clue, it was too late. Obama framed the message (change/hope) and she was playing catch up – meanwhile, Bill and his "old school" crew continued to undermine her efforts. There was no way Hillary was capable of transcending the weight of Establishment Dems – they're so 20th century! The Obamas represent CHANGE I can believe in!

August 26, 2008 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  21. Sam Christian, Ohio

Simply put, Michele's was the finest speech by a presidential candidate's wife in living history! I like the way she celebrated Hillary's accomplishments and the enormous contribution of women and mothers to the American dream. I don't consider myself a woosh, but I must confess – I was in tears...

August 26, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  22. Dennis

Not a dry eye in the house. The bar is set. Let's see Cindy McCain top this one.

August 26, 2008 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  23. Betty

Michelle is a real person with the same values so many of us have. She loves her husband and children and really cares about the future of this country. She is going to make a great first lady!

August 26, 2008 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  24. Audrey from Riverdale, IL

Michell did a wonderful job, for those who can't say something good
    should not say anything at all.

August 26, 2008 02:08 am at 2:08 am |
  25. Rob indetroit

I hope HRC ask John MCbush how many Jets he has iam
    interested in his answer.

August 26, 2008 02:28 am at 2:28 am |