August 25th, 2008

Schneider: A glimpse of victories past

Speaker Pelosi addressed fellow Democrats on the opening night of the Democratic National Convention.

DENVER (CNN) - Nancy Pelosi is the heroine of the last great Democratic victory, the 2006 midterm elections.

Now a lot of voters, including a lot of Democrats, are totally unfamiliar with the achievements of the Democratic Congress — and it’s showing in the polls.

For these rank-and-file Democrats, there’s one source of frustration: they believe they elected this Congress to get America out of Iraq, and it hasn’t happened. That’s why there are protests at the convention.

Pelosi has introduced the first refrain of the convention: John McCain has experience — the experience of being wrong. That’s the refrain they’re using: John McCain is wrong.

This is a tradition at many conventions — the repeated refrain. One of the most famous was in 1992, when Gore was nominated for vice president, the refrain he used was: It’s time for them to go.

1. independent now

Flat speech without a doubt. She certainly did not energize the party. I have been so dissapointed in her performance. She has been a terrible speaker, and has accomplished nothing. It amazes me how she got the position in the first place. This convention isnt impressing me at all. I will still vote for Hilary in november. She is still the most qualified. I was angry this evening in msnbcs reporting very hateful towards Hilarys supporters, What ever happened to reporting and not giving opinions.

August 25, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  2. Independant Thinker

Ah, the Wicked Witch of the West.

The PROUD leader of a congress with a record LOW approval rating of only 9%, 1/3 the approval rating of President Bush.

And they look up to her???????

My God what new lows has the democratic party sunk to.

August 25, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  3. Chris in VA

Where does Pelosi get off on criticizing anybody? She's the most inept leader of the most inept Congress. Bush has approval ratings that she can only DREAM of.

August 25, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  4. Dave, Illinois

So old skeletor Pelossi has enough time to attend a party but not to call back Congress to debate the energy crisis. Wow, shows where the Dean/Pelossi/Reed/Obama Democrap party's priorities are.

August 25, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  5. Democrat voting for McCain

It appears the democrats did not want Pelosi's speech to Air. Must be trying to distance the democratic party from her failed house.

August 25, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  6. Rev Clayton

To quote something Peter O'Toole said in a movie

" Even our enemies deserve RESPECT "

Whether or not you like Pelosi ( I Don't )
    She IS only two heartbeats away from the Presidency !

That is more of an accomplishment
    Than Hilary winning some primaries !

I predict WEATHER will play an important factor
    in this years Presidential Election

August 25, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  7. NClaw441

Pelosi's speech was on C-SPAN. In a word, she stunk. Even the delegates paid litle attention.

August 25, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  8. Adrian, Dallas

The repub thugs are out in full force tonight. Scared of the bounce Obama is going to recieve?

God bless America!

Obama/Biden 08

August 25, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  9. Mark, B'ham., Al.

With Pelosi as the House Speaker, this tells America what the democrats are all about. She is S.F. left, who was the sponser and one of 3 in the House to vote to remove the Congressional Charter of the Boy Scouts of America because the Supreme Court said they were allowed to pick their leadership who are to do their best to uphold the Scout Oath, including being "Morally Straight." The Far Left is the rulers of the democratic agenda, not the values of middle America.

August 25, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  10. 14% approval rating

AND SHE IS SO PROUD!!!!

haha I laughed when I heard her say those words.

PS Greenest convention ever? What about in 1780 or 1784?

For all you global warming freaks out there, do me a huge favor and go live an Amish lifestyle. Because... if you truly believed what you preach, you would already be doing so right now.

I would respect you and your movement 10 times more than I would now if you actually did that. Now, all I hear is complaining and lack of action. Furthermore, I see corporations like GE and independent financial backers like Gore and Pelosi making millions off of all this.

So what's up with "WAHHHHHHHH BIG OIL MONEY WAHHHHHHH?"

I call that a double standard. But, I'm also not stupid. If the democrats win in a landslide, my money goes immediately into GE, Clean Energy, and all this other propaganda you will shove down my throat. At least I'll make money off of you whiners.

August 25, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  11. Michael

So, will the speakers in this convention at some point in time get around to describing in any detail just what change Obama will bring about and how he will accomplish this change? Or will they just keep talking about what they think is wrong and that it is McCain's and Bush's fault?

August 25, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  12. chitowngal07

What has she done ???

Well , don't you know she helped railroad and squash the other strongest woman in congress and will use "unity" as an excuse. Meanwhile, I am waiting for some real results from the democratic congress?????

August 25, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  13. Crush Rush

For someone who was blackmailed with another war if she started anything,shes done ok.It was the Republican foot draggers who stalled everything and their time is short.

August 25, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  14. Kimberly

Why didn't you let us hear what Nancy Pelosi had to say in your broadcast!?! You (CNN) complain about her not having a significant role and then you don't even let us hear her voice so we can decide for ourselves.

Shame on you CNN for trying to bias us all without letting people listen for themselves.

August 25, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  15. Obama In the House

Pelosi has accomplished nothing during her tenure as SPeaker of the House. I am disappointed in her.

August 25, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  16. aware

Nancy Pelosi is another loser out to save the world with only the experience of being wrong! :)

August 25, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  17. Eyam Sofine

Oh yes, there she is our sweet, wise Nancy Pelosi. Is that the same Pelosi that is in favor of bringing back the archaic dictatorial "Fairness Doctrine"? Why yes, that's right, it is. Hopefully, I'll get a nice moderator, that won't tie this up........for days. THank You. And if you're a Democratic moderator I'll Thank You Even More.

August 25, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  18. Sammy

Not a whole lot has been accomplished this congress. But the most important question is why. For example: Pelosi is from CA. We dont want drilling so of course she is going to stick up for us. If the other states want to drill then thats their business. Thats a good compromise but legislation is held up by the 'all or nothing' crowd..... on both side of the issue.

I guess also its a symptom of people wanting hail mary's instead of baby steps.

August 25, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  19. Jeff

Good grief–a lot of hate here. And a lot of very active imaginations on display as well. I wish I could parse out where it all comes from.

I think many of you are so angry that Clinton did not get the nomination that you now thrive on the anger & hate. You have demonized anyone who does/did not support her. It's easy to hate someone you have demonized–I have no doubt many of you would rather have Bush for another 4 years than Obama.

And whether it be Pelosi, Kennedy, Dean, or some other scapegoat, you need someone to blame. Clinton made some critical mistakes in her campaign: she failed to plan for any contingency that did not have her victorious; she had profound lapses in honesty; and she denigrated a fellow Democrat in ways that are now being used by the Republicans to manipulate public opinion to voting for McCain–in short, you're being used to put a Republican in office.

Wow–hope you're proud.

August 25, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  20. Jo

Oil companies met at the white house and decided their plan to gouge with Bush and Cheney, long before Peloski won the senate.

Think about it.

August 25, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  21. Texas Witch Twister

SHE BETTER ENJOY TONIGHT BECAUSE THIS IS HER LAST HOORAY. AS SOON AS JOHN GAINS OFFICE SHE WILL BE HISTORY.

August 25, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  22. That's Reality

Kimberly, I heard her on public tv; believe me, you didn't miss anything.

August 25, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  23. cyntia

I cannot stabd Pelosi.
    What a hypocrite! How could she be elected?
    Are people of SF completely out of their mind.
    And don't tell real moderate democrate what to do.
    We hare not going to vote Obama!
    PUMA

August 25, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  24. You're Kidding, Right?

Achievements?