August 25th, 2008

Schneider: America meets Michelle Obama

Sen. Obama's wife, Michelle, was the headliner on Monday night.
Sen. Obama's wife, Michelle, was the headliner on Monday night.

DENVER (CNN) - This is the first time most Americans are getting any sense of who Michelle Obama really is. She’s a very poised and accomplished speaker, a real professional. She’s talking about her personal background, her family life — not much about her career.

Watch: Michelle Obama says trailblazers like Sen. Clinton have helped Americans 'aim a little higher'

The stereotype was the picture on the cover of the New Yorker magazine, which portrayed her as a black radical. There’s very little reference to race in this speech - almost no racial themes. This is an unusually effective performance. She’s like a great actress — not that she’s acting. It’s just a very good performance, and a very sincere one. And it’s very gracious for her to mention Hillary Clinton.

I think the Democrats are looking at this speech and thinking: This is a future candidate.

1. Dan J

Michelle Obama's two agendas: She is a patriot, and she wants the PUMAS.

Obama is coming off as trying to be emotional. Her voice has this sort-of "I'm trying to be soft and emotional" warble, and its not working for me. But I like her mother and brother.

August 25, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  2. Cynthia

Most Americans got the chance tonight to see the Michelle what a lot of people know personally and that a lot of us have gathered from seeing her on the campaign stump. She is an everyday person whose main goal is life is ensuring a better America for her girls and all the children of the U.S.

August 25, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  3. Roseanne

Michelle Obama 2016!!!!!!

August 25, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  4. Anna

I am Not overly enthusiastic about her husband, but Michelle delivered tonight in what otherwise was a very dry opening Night comparatively to other conventions I have seen. Only the Teddy tribute came close to the effectiveness of Michelle Obama's speech.

August 25, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  5. sheri

I love her.

August 25, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  6. Brenda

She is great, fantastic

August 25, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  7. Kevin,FL

i didn't like what i saw.

August 25, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  8. Denise

I work second shift, and came in on the last of her speech. I'll watch the repeats. The daughters are adorable!

August 25, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  9. lila

She is everything I want to be.

August 25, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  10. midwest

WOW! she is nothing like I thought....they have my vote

August 25, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  11. Jeff in Los Angeles

Amazing speech. I knew nothing about her until tonight, and I like what I see. She made me proud to be a Democrat tonight

August 25, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  12. Susan from Scotts Valley, CA

What an amazing speech! I have been a big Obama supporter for a long time but tonight Michele doubled my enthusiasm.

August 25, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  13. Sherry, Atlanta

IF AMERICA DIDN'T KNOW WHO THE OBAMA'S WERE, IT'S BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T WANT TO KNOW! HOW LONG HAS THIS CAMPAIGN BEEN GOING ON?

MAYBE AMERICA IS OUT OF TOUCH!

OBAMA/BIDEN '08-'12

August 25, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  14. ABBY

She was absolutely beautiful tonight.

August 25, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  15. Anne In New York

What a beautiful, articulate, accomplished woman! Our country would be blessed to have her as First Lady.

August 25, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  16. Republican on the fence

Didi you see the tears after the speech. Hollywood Titanic movie couldn't have brought those tears. Way to go Michelle. The Kids were adorable.

August 25, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  17. Haris

Yes, I agree with you Bill she will be competing against Hillary next time for The democratic nomination. Seems like it's going to be a tough fight.

August 25, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  18. Chris

Michelle was just terrific!!!! I was so proud of her. She would make a wonderful first lady.

August 25, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  19. tedious898

How can you hate a person like Michelle Obama? How can you say she's not patriotic? The truest definition of a mother is a person who struggles and sacrafices in love and hope.

That's Michelle Obama!

August 25, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  20. ginger

What an amazing woman. I had tears in my eyes listening to Michelle speak. America is so wrong about this beautiful woman. Michelle is gifted, intelligent, strong, loving, and committed to the American people.

I cannot wait to see you in the White house.

August 25, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  21. Robert Taylor

I was constantly hearing that some of the voters do not know who Obama is. Well, if they don't know, they should make it their business to find out.

I took the time to look into both Obama and McCain. The election this year is too important to me not to know who these poeple are.

I'm surprised that at this time in the election process there are those who just don't know.

August 25, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  22. Betty

I think Michelle effectively reached the hearts of Americans. She told a very heartfelt story. I can definately see her as the First Lady. She is an amazing woman and someone whom all Americans can look to.

August 25, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  23. Independent Vet

Bill...why would you spoil a perfectly good speech by Michelle Obama by bringing up the possibility of a future "Michellary?"

August 25, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  24. aileen mucangi minnesota

any thing that an able human being has done another able human being can do it, and yet so perfectly.

August 25, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  25. Chuck

She is a future candidate? Please! Not one word on religious beliefs? Good move Shelly. Gees. I'd say she took a big swing and missed. Whiff! Of course she didn't talk about her own career – her health care job was at a place that rejected seeing any patients without coverage. Not a good message since she is begging for votes. What a hypocrite. Her brother was the highlight of the night. Now that fella may have what it takes to actually lead.

August 25, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |