August 25th, 2008

Schneider: America meets Michelle Obama

Sen. Obama's wife, Michelle, was the headliner on Monday night.
Sen. Obama's wife, Michelle, was the headliner on Monday night.

DENVER (CNN) - This is the first time most Americans are getting any sense of who Michelle Obama really is. She’s a very poised and accomplished speaker, a real professional. She’s talking about her personal background, her family life — not much about her career.

Watch: Michelle Obama says trailblazers like Sen. Clinton have helped Americans 'aim a little higher'

The stereotype was the picture on the cover of the New Yorker magazine, which portrayed her as a black radical. There’s very little reference to race in this speech - almost no racial themes. This is an unusually effective performance. She’s like a great actress — not that she’s acting. It’s just a very good performance, and a very sincere one. And it’s very gracious for her to mention Hillary Clinton.

I think the Democrats are looking at this speech and thinking: This is a future candidate.

1. Concerned Democrat

Excellent speech. Michelle was great.

August 25, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  2. Upon Further Review

She was great and we know she loves her country.

August 25, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  3. AD

Amazing, she's simply amazing. A true American.

August 25, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  4. James

I didn't expect this out of her at all.

She was really, sincerely, fantastic.

August 25, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  5. K

Are you nuts? That was the most boring, produced speech ever. I fell asleep during half of it. You could see her squint to read the teleprompter once or twice. What a joke. Michelle Obama tonight was scripted big time.

August 25, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  6. wannabemichelle

What a lovely lady...for the first time in my adult life I am proud to be rooting for a presidential candidate who made an impeccable choice of a life mate! And how fun to have the little ones in the white house!

Michelle, you represent democrat women beautifully. Thank you!

August 25, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  7. Jason, Los Angeles

An inspired speech. Rhetorically polished, touching, effective. Bravo, Michelle. Hillary and Barack are lucky you didn't run for president.

August 25, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  8. WeLuvObama

She was great! Brought me literally to tears. Never in my life time did I ever think I would see this.

August 25, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  9. Betty

We weren't allowed to hear all the speakers – Blitzer had to monotone and that republican pundit even over-rode Pelosi

You people did a piss poor job. You didn't cover it right. STOP BLAMING OTHERS – YOU SOUND LIKE HILLARY CLINTON AND BILL

August 25, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  10. Sherry, Atlanta

FANTASTIC PRESENTATION, MICHELLE. AS ALWAYS, YOUR APPEARANCE AND SPEECH WAS BEAUTIFUL.

KEEP YOUR HEAD UP LADY, AND MARCH ON TO THE WHITE HOUSE!

THE OBAMA'S/THE BIDEN'S '08-'12

August 25, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  11. Desari

OMG..i have always loved Barack, but just felt indifference for Michelle.
    That all changed tonite. OMG wow, the most heartfelt speech i have ever heard. Dare i say even better than Barack's. I was sobbing like a little baby.

August 25, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  12. MICHAEL A. WATSON SR.

You keep talking about how they failed to bash the Bush Administration. We already know what a sorry bunch tey are. It was refreshing and uplifting to hear an entire evening of politics that was positive. I hope we never get good at negative politics. You people calling for it just don't get it. That is old school stuff we are being led beyond.

Mike Watson
    Charlotte, NC

August 25, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  13. HyperD

Great speech Michelle... very inspiring! Go Obama '08..!!!

August 25, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  14. Don

A very intelligent woman.

August 25, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  15. kamasri

Brilliant performance. She has brought Gravitas to to her role as first Lady.

August 25, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  16. BONNIE

BEAUTIFUL.....WE LOVE YOU MICHELLE!!

OBAMA!!! OBAMA!! OBAMA!!!

August 25, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  17. MISSOURI FOR OBAMA

fantastic job

August 25, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  18. Latina For Barack

Michelle Obama is a phenomenal woman and had my family in tears. See my family too is strugging to make ends meet and realize the american dream.

My mother a Hilary fan...is becoming a convert. She connected with my mother and that is a good thing.

August 25, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  19. Matt B

What more does America need to know about Michelle Obama ? She has a background that most hard working people can relate too. Only the fear mongering republicans can find flaws in her character.

August 25, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  20. Esmaralda

What a First Lady. It is very exciting to me. Refreshing!

August 25, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  21. Michelle Fan

What a wonderful message! Michelle hit the ball out of the park tonight. She is going to be a phenomenal First Lady!

August 25, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  22. Karen

I never liked Michelle Obama- Seriously...Just could not bear to see her.

For the first time- today- I really liked her. In fact – i do not know why- I was in tears while listening to him. i was just thinking of my father who has done so much to give me a better life.

August 25, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  23. Hard Obama Supporter

Michelle is an incredible woman!!! When she spoke it just brought me to tears!! Much respect to you Michelle Obama!!!

August 25, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  24. Louis

Very typical Obama fan drawing of character. Judging someone from a single prepared speech.

August 25, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  25. Anonymous

Honestly, Michelle blew me away tonight. I feel like I'm meeting her for the first time. She really moved when she talked about Barack as a father. Just wow. I can see why the call her "The Closer". Simply dynamic, poised, elegant woman.

August 25, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |