August 25th, 2008

Schneider: America meets Michelle Obama

Sen. Obama's wife, Michelle, was the headliner on Monday night.
Sen. Obama's wife, Michelle, was the headliner on Monday night.

DENVER (CNN) - This is the first time most Americans are getting any sense of who Michelle Obama really is. She’s a very poised and accomplished speaker, a real professional. She’s talking about her personal background, her family life — not much about her career.

Watch: Michelle Obama says trailblazers like Sen. Clinton have helped Americans 'aim a little higher'

The stereotype was the picture on the cover of the New Yorker magazine, which portrayed her as a black radical. There’s very little reference to race in this speech - almost no racial themes. This is an unusually effective performance. She’s like a great actress — not that she’s acting. It’s just a very good performance, and a very sincere one. And it’s very gracious for her to mention Hillary Clinton.

I think the Democrats are looking at this speech and thinking: This is a future candidate.

1. The McCoys in North Carolina

As Obama supporters since the first of the year, it was so refreshing to FINALLY see Michelle have her night in the spotlight!!!! She was poised, intellegent, and articulate. Something many think is a rarity in the African-American race... but it IS NOT! She made all of us extremely proud tonight. :-)

Obama/Biden '08 ... all the way!!!!

August 25, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  2. marina

I think she rocked. Hands down her best speech ever.

August 25, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  3. candis

Michelle was so wonderful. I am so proud of her. Praise the Lord

August 25, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  4. ALLAN USA

We don't trust a single phrase she say. God save AMERICA. Vote McCain and HRC in 2012.

5. Voter

Actress – and they cleaned her up a little. I'm not buying the little house wife act. She's a lawyer, people.

6. ICan the News Media Let's enjoy this moment without the negatives

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful... This is a powerful First Lady. You all must want more, more more of thiese fresh and invogorating Obama's. My head is still spinning. They are so down to earth at the same time very professional. CNN let this be more about the issues, and not about you and your choice for President. We will refuse to listen to your spins. Let's us enjoy this moment. Stop the negatives.

7. Linda

She said she thought about her father "every" night as she put the kids to sleep.. and that she and Barack believe keeping your promises is the most important thing – public funding promises, too? What does *she* really think, and who is she *really*? I still don't feel I know, except that she has no problem saying what she's told and exaggerating for effect.

8. David Jones

While I ususally totally enjoy listening to James Carville, and David Gergen - I have no idea what they're talking about when they claim that tonight's convention line up was a lost opportunity. I'm sitting at home, and have very much enjoyed the entire night. What I enjoyed the least was listening to the nonsense uttered by the likes of Carville, Gergen, and others. Perhaps I should tune in to CSPAN for an ignorance free analysis of what's transpiring.

9. Trish Hussien - PA

While watching Michelle speak, the thing that kept going through my mind was "This is who I am going to tell my two daughters, ages 16 and 4, to model themselves after. This is a great American woman. This is what you can become if you work hard and stay true to yourself. Hillary Clinton is no role model. Hillary Clinton is a selfish, self-centered, liar. A woman who, combined with her husband, has been involved in more scandals, taken more illegal campaign contributions than any other politician in history. Don't you people read anything other than blogs?? go to the library of congress website and get yourself a good education on the Clintons. This is a woman who ran a horrible campaign, couldn't keep herself out of debt. A woman who has done serious damage to her own party. An arrogant selfish person. Why, on earth, do you so worship the ground that he walks on?? This is no game people. This is your future. Stop believing everything you read in an email. Stop believing every stupid media person like Rush Limbaugh. Think for yourselves! And grow up and stop whining because your first choice did not win. God help us all if John McCain gets elected. My 16 year old will be ripe for the picking when John McCain starts his first war. What about your children? Your grandchildren? What about them? This is NOT a game! This is NOT a virtual election! Do you want more war? Would you like to be able to feed your children? What, on earth, would ever possess a democrat to vote for John McCain??

10. Nita Wilkins

I think if Michelle and the other speakers had spoken negative about McCain, you guys would have something to say about that too. At this point, the American people know who they want to vote for and your opinions really dont matter because EVERYONE has one.....

11. Arack Bobama

Wow, was that ever BOOORRRIIINNNG! Nothing but a painfully predictable set of platitudes and vapid comments, written by committee, and delivered in an all-to-familiar sing-song way. In the words of a famous American: "Who cares about your endless "dreams" – where's the beef?!".

12. Law

I'm not sure why it was said to have been botched. It's funny watching these 24 hour news networks and pick Obama apart. On one hand we don't know enough about him and they want him and his campaign to tell us more. On the other hand he's not laying out his plans for the country. On one foot he's not attacking enough. On the other foot he's no show Hillary enough respect. They want everything right now. I have to be honest I know more about Obama than I do about McCain. The only thing I know about McCain is he was a prisoner of war and that he uses other people for his ads. I know even less about his wife. Honestly I can't imagine her doing the same speech that Michelle did. On a side note I wish the media would stop trying to split the party. I think they give it more time and thought than is really needed. They feed the negativity, I know they're really going to be bored at the Republican convention.

13. Larry

Absolutely loved it! Bravo! Up front and totally personal. The True American Dream without limitations, in living color!

14. Puffy

Great speech!!!!

15. April

We know who she is. The woman who vow she will never vote for Hillary if she wins. Isn't she that woman? Well, she was not going to vote for Hillary but now she wants us to vote for her husband "the clown". ISNT IT FUNNY HOW LIFE WORKS? "DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WILL WISH OTHERS DO UNTO YOU. " OH! BY THE WAY, THAT IS FROM THE BIBLE. YOU KNOW, THE BOOK THAT WE CHRISTIANS USE?
    McCain for President 2008 and Hillary 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Steve

Wow! A brilliant speech that matches those of her husband.

August 25, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  17. Robert

That was such a garbage speech...an empty dress, goes well with her husband...an empty suit. With bad policies.

I will NEVER vote for Obama!

August 25, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  18. Reality

SHE DID AMAZING !!! WOW !!!! :)

August 25, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  19. deborah rice

james carville is just madd that he don't have hillary, but let me tell you. ted kennedy and michelle obama did a wonderful job for obama tonight. we want to walk into history and bring change just like obama said. i was sitting here so proud to be apart of this and really hoping that america can see that black/white/brown/yellow we really are all
    the same. we want the same opportunities in life. we want love and peace. we want to feed and protect our family from all harm. pray for obama and his family. pray for sen. kennedy. JESUS bless american and keep us all safe. love you america.
    ps: obama won fairly he ran a better campaign, he played by the rules and sometimes honesty pays off. sports is always ruff. sports is ruff.

August 25, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  20. Mamie CUllers

I'm no political analyst but it seems to me that if McCain is talking about Obama on his big night that immediately puts him on the defensive. Obama is playing offensive and I think that might be a smarter move.

August 25, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  21. B. Smart

All of the FOX anchors were in tears.

August 25, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  22. ME IN FL

She was very gracious, but still I do not trust Obama. Whatever she said about him is not convincing. From all this, now we know who Michelle is, but Obama????? He still is an enigma!!!!!

August 25, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  23. Jeff

When I listened to Ted and Michelle tonight I cried with tears of joy! These are the people that are the foundation of the dems! Dems care about other people, republicans care about themselves and their money!

August 25, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  24. S. Denice

I was sooooooo proud of Michelle. She was beautiful. She was elegant. She was articulate. And most of all, she humanized her husband. I thought that her speech was very genuine and laid out the case for who the Obamas really are. Like them or hate them, Barack and Michelle represents change in this country. I eagerly anticipate their presence in the White House...

OBAMA/BIDEN