August 25th, 2008

Schneider: The big question

DENVER (CNN) – These days, one question hovers over every potential first lady: Does she have a political agenda? And is it any different from her husband’s?

1. BrooklynDodger

This question is most rightly leveled at Cindy McCain, whose family has stood to gain the most from her husband's ascendancy over the years. Wonder if the MSM will cover this.

August 25, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  2. Linda31

An Agenda? Only to make a better world for her children and the children of this country.

August 25, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  3. CC, VA

I don't know about her political agenda, but how about the fact that her brother managed to give a "Go Beavers" shout-out from the podium of the DNC? Are you kidding me?

August 25, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  4. Janice Hough

She is a beautiful, smart woman loves her country and she loves her kids. It speaks well of Obama that he convinced her to marry him.

And nice timing on the props for Hillary Clinton!

August 25, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  5. BrooklynDodger

So the "go Beavers" is the new fist bump since there are no credible criticisms that can be made? Give me a break.

August 25, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  6. Dan J

Michelle Obama's two agendas: She is a patriot, and she wants the PUMAS.

Obama is coming off as trying to be emotional. Her voice has this sort-of "I'm trying to be soft and emotional" warble, and its not working for me. But I like her mother and brother.

August 25, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  7. Bob

Looking at the previous posts...

Beavers are cool...

Better world for the children...She's drank the Kool-aid

Cindy McCain?......I don't think she needs help from John....she's doin more than OK

August 25, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  8. Anthony

Seriously CNN?
    This is the only spin you can put on a really positive convention?
    Every speaker is pushing a positive message of progress and change, and this is the CNN take? Are you kidding me? I truly dont understand how not only the average American citizen, but the majority of its mainstream media outlets actually WANT to keep this nation on the decline. And for what? Ratings, bloated blog response counts?
    So So SAD...

August 25, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  9. Chris in Atlanta

I think Michelle is doing an AWESOME job. I would be proud to have her represent our country the next 4 (hopefully 8) years as the first lady.

August 25, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  10. Evan Crum

Who cares if he said " Go Beavers"? Does it really matter? There baseketball team isn't that good anyway. She is making a great speech, and I agree with u Brooklyn wonder what Cindy will say besides " I love my husband".

August 25, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  11. Lissa from Montreal

She seems to have a moral agenda, one that she shares with her husband; time will tell as to her political aspirations but she certainly has what it takes!

August 25, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  12. Jack

Whats wrong with him shouting out a pool of potential voters? Thats just like shouting out you're home state. Thats where he lives, works, pays taxes, VOTES. As incredulous you may be, Beavers (at least the ones in Corvallis) vote too.

August 25, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  13. Jim Warner

I can't stand Michelle Obama. Her speech was so contrived, so fake, so planned. If she is speaking from her heart, why the teleprompter?

August 25, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  14. Tia

I feel like I'm at a wedding reception watching bride and groom speeches.......where is the political message?

August 25, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  15. CNN loves McCain

Michelle Obama is graceful and intelligent...and would be an amazing first lady.

Cindy McCain is vacant and the epitome of what is wrong and unnatural about female imagery in the United States.

August 25, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  16. rubie

I want to hear McCain's wife speak! If Michelle Obama has to present her family background for us to accept them as true Americans, it is only fair the Cindy McCain explain her background so that we may understand the reason for her drug addiction. If the drug addiction is explained, we can understand how that addiction could be overlooked in a first lady of the United States of America.

August 25, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  17. eileen

I do not understand the Dem's message. Michelle speaks about how great America is and how many opportunities we have in this great nation and then she turns around a sentence later and says that we need to change it. Which one does she believe? What is this about the "world as it should be?" I think it's pretty good. I hope Obama is never elected president of the US and I hope this ruins his name and political career!

August 25, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  18. J. Sinchi

Why is she pretending to cry... that was pretty fake. It seemed like she was trying to cry for the longest until it finally came out.

August 25, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  19. gary

SHE HAS A SMOOTH SPEECH LIKE HER HUSBAND. THEY ONLY KNOW THE TALK ,NOT THE WALK. THEY WILL SAY ANYTHING TO MAKE THE WHITEHOUSE. THIS ELECTION IS A BIG JOKE. YOU WONT SEE MCCAINS CONVENTION SO BUILD UP BY THE MEDIA LIKE OBAMA'S. THIS IS BEEN A BIAS RACE FROM THE BEGINING. THATS WHY THE BEST CANIDATE GOT SWIFTBOATED OUT.(HRC). OBAMA IS JUST A BIG MEDIA CLOWN AND FLIP FLOPPER. ATLEAST MCCAIN IS STRAIGHT FOWARD. HE DOSN;T KEEP ALL BUSHES ISSUES EITHER. YOU O.B. SUPPORTERS JUST WANT TO THINK THAT. AMERICA DESERVES WHAT THEY ASK FOR.

August 25, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  20. Marcel - Atlanta, GA

It's interesting that these same questions were never asked of Barbara or Laura Bush.

August 25, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  21. Cynthia

Anybody with doubts about Michelle Obama and what she stands for along with her husband got there answer tonight. She was open and honest and on point in everything she said.

August 25, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  22. Sam

What is worng with CNN these days ... acting as FOX news Satelliate cable. Guys you too much now .... can you stop it. You are not making any sense now!

August 25, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  23. MARILYN TORONTO

WHAT POLITICAL AGENDA? ONLY A DREAM THAT ANY MOTHER HAS FOR HER CHILDREN.

August 25, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  24. Abt

Why I am no longer voting democratic....

August 25, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  25. john williams san diego, ca.

i now believe that both Obamas are the best speech readers ever...other than that they are are very elitist and over their pay grade.

August 25, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |