August 26th, 2008

Biden chokes up

Joe Biden spoke to the Delaware delegation this morning in Littleton, Colo.

Joe Biden spoke to the Delaware delegation this morning in Littleton, Colo.

LITTLETON, Colorado (CNN) - An emotional Joe Biden addressed the convention’s small Delaware delegation at a breakfast at their hotel Tuesday morning, thanking them for their years of support in good times and bad, and joking that the only reason he accepted the nomination was so they could get a prime seating location in the convention hall.

The Delaware senator lavished praise on Barack and Michelle Obama, saying the Illinois senator has a perspective he has never seen in Washington before, and predicting Michelle Obama’s Monday night speech will be remembered as the most significant event at the convention.

Watch: Biden praises Michelle Obama

“Not Barack Obama, not Joe Biden, not Ted Kennedy, but Michelle Obama's speech,” the newly-minted VP candidate said.

“This is a great honor being nominated vice president of the United States, and I am proud of it.” Biden also said as he choked up. “I don't mean in any way to diminish it. But it pales in comparison to the honor that I've had representing you.”

Biden remarked that he wished the breakfast was closed to the media because of what he called “corny sounding” comments.

Watch: Biden tearfully thanks Delaware friends

“I don't know whether I would have made it through a lot of the tough times in my life without you guys, I mean it sincerely” said Biden who lost his first wife and daughter in a car crash in 1972, shortly after being elected to the Senate.

He joked that his optimism isn’t “borne out of some congenital problem,” but said an election with opportunities like this have only come along four or five times in American history.

“I am excited to be on a team and I don’t use those terms, I’ve never been team,” said Biden. “I’ve sort of a been a one-man band you know.”

“I am honored to be part of making sure – helping to make sure I hope – that the first African-American, the first guy who looks at things from a perspective like no one I’ve worked with – and I’ve been around a long time – gets to be President of the United States,” Biden later added.

Going forward, the Delaware senator is expected to be Obama’s attack dog on the trail, but Tuesday morning he didn’t mention John McCain once.

He will address the convention Wednesday night when he will receive the Democratic Party’s vice presidential nomination.

1. Lisa

Now we don't need a cry baby as VP!

August 26, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  2. Biffington, Biff

Congratulations, Senator Biden, on your nomination as Vice President! I was rooting for you for wes clark. it was a fine decision...

August 26, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  3. Debby

Yeah Joe now stop taking bows and go out and get those votes for Obama since you couldn't get them for yourself.

August 26, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  4. Danny in Chicago

It's okay Joe! We're happy you're on board!!!

August 26, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  5. Did he lift this too?

Didnt someone else cry recently? Here goes Biden again.

August 26, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  6. Open Your 3rd Eye

He's a good guy. He will do a good job, a fair job.

August 26, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  7. Filipina

I agree with you VP Joe Biden,,,,Michelle gave a very good speech I have even seen and heard....She is such a very good strong woman.
    Obama/Biden

August 26, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  8. Kurt in PA

We don't need the moron that is inevitably going to be McCain's VP...

August 26, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  9. KIKI

cry baby

August 26, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  10. Jeannie, Sacramento, CA

Good man, Joe Biden is! What an excellent statesman. It's sad how Obama doesn't have the talent nor the werewithal and now has to "use" this great senator to make inroads in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana where he lost big time to Clinton. Pathetic!

August 26, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  11. judy, Wisconsin

I'm liking Joe Biden more by the day!

August 26, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  12. Olivia

Biden?.........Choked up?

He learns fast.

August 26, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  13. Mrs. McInostoch

Thank you Senator Biden for your many years of service in the Senate representing Delaware.

August 26, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  14. Tony

You go Joe!

Crush whomever is the Republicant's nominee for V.P.

August 26, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  15. VB

Our next Vice President, Joe Biden. Very, Very touching.

Obama/Biden.

August 26, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  16. Linda from Prescott AZ

Senator Biden is a wonderful man, a good democrat and deeply loves our country. I'm proud that the next President of the United States chose him as his running mate.

August 26, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  17. Robin Tushluva

Joe Biden. Stalwart of the Senate. So you are going to help Barack Obama turn this country into the United States of "Europe"? That is what it will become under him if he's elected !!

August 26, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  18. JB

Nice to know we have a real human, someone who can express feelings of deep gratitude to those he serves. George Washington choked up in talking to his troops at a low point in the revolutionary war. It is fake emotion I have no use for. No shame in honest, heartfelt emotion whether they come with a tear or a smile. I'll take an honest tear 100 times over a Bush or Cheney sneer and hardhearted disregard for young American lives. Too bad the current administration is unable to show Biden's humility to those it serves (All Americans) as Biden did in his breakfast meeting.

August 26, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  19. Mike

I would rather have a man who is not afriad to show emotions than the idiot who is now in charge.

August 26, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  20. gina simpson

The more I hear about Joe Biden.....the more I like him. Obama made the best possible VP pick when he picked him.

Obama/Biden "08

August 26, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  21. galactic def klingon

Secret service, taxpayer supplied residence, staff of servants–it's not easy to live large on this planet. Crossing all fingers and toes that this opportunity won't slip through his webbed fingers.

August 26, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  22. GINGER/ san diego

GOOD GRIEF. This man is not a cry baby. He is happy to take on a new role as VP and saddened to leave his people of 30 odd years.
    Try being these people for one day.
    We have beome a nation of hard, hard people when a person can't
    show deep personal hope and love for ones country without being
    called names. Shame on all of you that did!

August 26, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  23. KATHLEEN

I love Biden. He is a good looking man.
    Now, do we want the rich people to get the biggest tax breaks.
    McCains ads are very deceiving. Obama wants to raise taxes
    on RICH PEOPLE. I asked my 39 year old daughter who makes
    $10.50 an hour who she is going to vote for and she said, "Mom,
    I like Obama but he is going to raise our taxes!!!!!!"That is PRECISELY
    the message that our young people get!!!!! They are too busy to sit
    back an "listen to the whole story." They walk thru a room and hear
    "MCCAIN SOUNDBITES.! We better educate our children. Clarify
    this, Obama, Biden. CLARIFY. Clarification on issues that McCain
    attack dogs send out is more important than attacking him back.
    BE CLEAR IN YOUR TV ADS BECAUSE THAT IS ALL THE YOUNG
    PEOPLE HEAR AS THEY HURRY TO SCHOOL, A DATE. THEY
    ARE BEING DECEIVED BY MCDRAFT. BUSH AND CHENEY
    WILL NEVER BE "GONE" FROM THE WHITE HOUSE IF MCCAIN
    WINS!!!!! BUSH WILL STILL BE RUNNING THE WHITE HOUSE IN
    THE BACKGROUND!!!!!

August 26, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  24. Tony

When in the hell are people going to start referring to OBAMA as BI-RACIAL.

If elected in November he will be the first BI-RACIAL president this country has had.

He is not an African American. His mother was a white woman.

Hello, anyone home?

August 26, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  25. Linda from Prescott AZ

PS to those of you that have nothing but nasty things to say, why don't you keep them to yourself or e-mail each other. The rest of us don't care to here your acid comments.

August 26, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |