August 26th, 2008

Biden chokes up

Joe Biden spoke to the Delaware delegation this morning in Littleton, Colo.

Joe Biden spoke to the Delaware delegation this morning in Littleton, Colo.

LITTLETON, Colorado (CNN) - An emotional Joe Biden addressed the convention’s small Delaware delegation at a breakfast at their hotel Tuesday morning, thanking them for their years of support in good times and bad, and joking that the only reason he accepted the nomination was so they could get a prime seating location in the convention hall.

The Delaware senator lavished praise on Barack and Michelle Obama, saying the Illinois senator has a perspective he has never seen in Washington before, and predicting Michelle Obama’s Monday night speech will be remembered as the most significant event at the convention.

Watch: Biden praises Michelle Obama

“Not Barack Obama, not Joe Biden, not Ted Kennedy, but Michelle Obama's speech,” the newly-minted VP candidate said.

“This is a great honor being nominated vice president of the United States, and I am proud of it.” Biden also said as he choked up. “I don't mean in any way to diminish it. But it pales in comparison to the honor that I've had representing you.”

Biden remarked that he wished the breakfast was closed to the media because of what he called “corny sounding” comments.

Watch: Biden tearfully thanks Delaware friends

“I don't know whether I would have made it through a lot of the tough times in my life without you guys, I mean it sincerely” said Biden who lost his first wife and daughter in a car crash in 1972, shortly after being elected to the Senate.

He joked that his optimism isn’t “borne out of some congenital problem,” but said an election with opportunities like this have only come along four or five times in American history.

“I am excited to be on a team and I don’t use those terms, I’ve never been team,” said Biden. “I’ve sort of a been a one-man band you know.”

“I am honored to be part of making sure – helping to make sure I hope – that the first African-American, the first guy who looks at things from a perspective like no one I’ve worked with – and I’ve been around a long time – gets to be President of the United States,” Biden later added.

Going forward, the Delaware senator is expected to be Obama’s attack dog on the trail, but Tuesday morning he didn’t mention John McCain once.

He will address the convention Wednesday night when he will receive the Democratic Party’s vice presidential nomination.

1. Kelley

All you haters just need to stop! If you all feel you could do a better job, then why don't YOU run for President?!?!?

August 26, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  2. TESAP; SAVANNAH, GA

why isn't CNN and the other media all over this, remember back when Hillary cried a little and everyone made fun of her being the weak one, but now that this guy is doing it, it's OK????????? Really???

NO THEY SAID LOOK SHE IS HUMAN AFTERALL......................

August 26, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  3. YES SIR

"FIGHTING" JOE BIDEN.

August 26, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  4. Hilary supporter, NY

McCain is an IDIOT!!

I am ashamed of other hilary supporters who are going to vote for him! although i think the number is pretty low.. i really dont know they can spend the next 4 years with a republican as president!!

so.. vote obama this year, hilary in 2012!!

IM still a proud DEMOCRAT!!

OBAMA/BIDEN 2008!!!

August 26, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  5. Yonas

Congratulations Senator Joe. Yes We Can!!

August 26, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  6. EBC

Sir, we HONOR you for taking on the VP role. We know that you will do us PROUD and HONOR us with your brilliance and tenacity. We need a new direction, a new "TEAM OF HONOR" running this country.

We are sick and tired of all the old SWIFT BOAT-FEAR MONGERING, KITCHEN SINK PLAGERIZERS, GUTTER CROOKS who think we are idiots in believing all the lies, deceit and corruptions being fed in the media Ads. WE are not stupid and we are NO LONGER going to play the fool, 8 YEARS was THE MISERY OF A LIFETIME!!

We are WORSE off today than we were 9 years ago!! Thank you very much Bush/McCain.

IF YOU WANT EIGHT MORE YEARS OF MISERY, KNOW YOURSELF OUT BY VOTING FOR McLAME!! We'll be sure to visit you in the St. Elizabeth's mental ward!!

August 26, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  7. Hillary Democrat

Senator Clinton cried...she was percieved as week and deceptive..Joe Biden cries and he's a hero...this is EXACTLY why Hillary lost....

August 26, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  8. offwallst

I GUESS JOE HEARD THE NEWS

MCCAIN TAKES LEAD IN NATIONAL POLLS FOR FIRST TIME

46-44

August 26, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  9. Obama/Biden 08

You PUMA people sound so totally ridiculous! It sounds as though you all have a love affair with Hillary Clinton and not the issues she stands for. Stop going onto various political blogs talking silly. If you are not going to vote for the Democratic ticket, then don’t. But please…stop the madness!

August 26, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  10. JB

When Hillary cried Obama supporters had a field day. They called her being too weak to be president, to being a phony, and every other ungodly name. Now when Biden crys it OK and praises. So continues the double standard from the Obama supporters.

August 26, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  11. Ted - Hudson, Wisconsin

Now there's a strong visual for American leadership. Somebody get him a Kleenex before his makeup starts running.

August 26, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  12. ben

To TONY
    Good for you! I think you make an excellent point. Obama is not an African American! Obama is a bi racial man. My whole family is made up of bi racial people from Mexicans to Indonesians !

August 26, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  13. Mccain=Bush

There is nothing wrong with him Crying i almost start crying last night listening to Micheles speech it was inspiration to me as an American citzen to know anything is truely possible and Obama and Biden will show that as they move forward. Michelle, Obama, And Biden is what is good about America no matter How high up you Go You are still a Human Being and You are still An American. Obama/Biden 08 We will take back the American Dream Republicans Get Ready It is War!

August 26, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  14. Red Rotor

An outstanding American, paired with an outstanding American. The Obama/Biden ticket is seriously one of the strongest I've seen in at least several elections. Best plan for America in years for energy reform, economy, foreign policy, health care and fiscal responsibility.

August 26, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  15. Paul

Obama really does have fantastic judgement!!

BIDEN..PERFECT VP CHOICE!!

OBAMA/BIDEN 2008.. LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN!

August 26, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  16. TrueIndependent

I really believe that The Democrats have a ticket of two leaders who are truly 'nice'.
    I am tired of the negative, divisive, and certainly NOT 'Jesus like' manipulative tactics of the Republicans over the last 8 years.

Republicans used abortion, gay marriage, and immigration to get to the White House 8 and 4 years ago. Did they do anything about it, HECK NO! So, what is it with these evangelicals? Does being a Christian preclude independent thought?

For those women who want to vote for McCain – please go ahead – and watch the rights of women dissipate.

For those in the Military who want to vote for McCain, I hope you are ready to be sent off to war with Russia, because McCain is itching to start war with Russia – He has said all Americans are Georgians.

For those who have fallen under economic hardship, You want to vote for McCain? You ain't seen hardship yet.Joe Bid

August 26, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  17. Honest Emotion

Hillary hags...the reason people are not jumping on Biden's "moment" is that it is sincere, heartfelt. Hillary doesn't have a heart much less any sincerity in her miserable body.

She can say the words tonight, she can bug those eyes out and shriek...but everyone knows that she and Bill feel like this should be THEIR party...HER turn...HER God given right to be coronated. How dare some unknown take that from HER and HIM. She mismanaged her campaign, lied about Bosnia, tired so hard to turn this into HER CONVENTION with so many demands. She said she got 18 million votes and Obama got 18 million votes MORE OR LESS...but only if you completely disregard caucus states.

Hillary supporters can vote for McCain...there will be a lot of disgrunted Republicans and Independents who will more than take up their slack.

August 26, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  18. Lolly

Yay! Yay! Yay! Can't wait to vote Obama/Biden!!!!!!!

August 26, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  19. Republicans for Obama

Wow!! First national poll following the start of the Dem convention has Obama out in front by 8% pts!!!

GooooooObama!!!

August 26, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  20. fa

I meant to say this guy remains me of Harry Truman So real and so true. What you see is what you get. Obama is the cerbral one and one the one-two point: straight talk. I believe they compliment each other good. I think how ever sad or not satisfying it may be Hillary wouldn't have been the emotional and political wise choice. The Republicans keep blostering the ad sing HRC words. let me tell you Hillary was their candidate and would have made things easier for them. Hillary would have enerise the Republicans base and Indepent more than anything else. So the first lesson in choosing A VP: do not harm.

I would have maybe been dissapointed if Obama has choosen Clintonbut I would have goten over it sometime soon. I do undersatnd the PUMA but let me say this Come the morning after: Barack wins or loses the PUMA would say OMG what did I do?

August 26, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  21. David W.

The Dems have great speech writers. I would love to hear thier speeches if they wrote it themselves.

August 26, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  22. Lucy

He will be tearing up a lot more in the future when they play excerpts from all his speeches about the quals of BHO. Too funny!

August 26, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  23. Repbulicans Hate America

this will no doubt end up being a new republican ad. JOE BIDEN A LONG TIME LEADER BUT DOES HE HAVE THE EMOTIONS TO BE A VP? as the scary music is played.

August 26, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  24. BK

OMG Obama ran the whole primary on Clinton voting for the war. Joe Biden voted for the war too and he chooses him for vp. Obama is such a liar and a fraud.

August 26, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  25. Joe Cheesehead, WI

Arrrgh the pain of “quirk of fate” that runs down my spine.

Makes no sense whatsoever other than malice how someone can go from voting for Clinton to voting for McCain. But then again the thinly veiled message is you only voted for a person and have never looked and don’t care to know about any of the issues that affect how policy is formulated.

Ooooh the pain of irony runs down my spine.

August 26, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |