August 26th, 2008

Biden chokes up

Joe Biden spoke to the Delaware delegation this morning in Littleton, Colo.

Joe Biden spoke to the Delaware delegation this morning in Littleton, Colo.

LITTLETON, Colorado (CNN) - An emotional Joe Biden addressed the convention’s small Delaware delegation at a breakfast at their hotel Tuesday morning, thanking them for their years of support in good times and bad, and joking that the only reason he accepted the nomination was so they could get a prime seating location in the convention hall.

The Delaware senator lavished praise on Barack and Michelle Obama, saying the Illinois senator has a perspective he has never seen in Washington before, and predicting Michelle Obama’s Monday night speech will be remembered as the most significant event at the convention.

Watch: Biden praises Michelle Obama

“Not Barack Obama, not Joe Biden, not Ted Kennedy, but Michelle Obama's speech,” the newly-minted VP candidate said.

“This is a great honor being nominated vice president of the United States, and I am proud of it.” Biden also said as he choked up. “I don't mean in any way to diminish it. But it pales in comparison to the honor that I've had representing you.”

Biden remarked that he wished the breakfast was closed to the media because of what he called “corny sounding” comments.

Watch: Biden tearfully thanks Delaware friends

“I don't know whether I would have made it through a lot of the tough times in my life without you guys, I mean it sincerely” said Biden who lost his first wife and daughter in a car crash in 1972, shortly after being elected to the Senate.

He joked that his optimism isn’t “borne out of some congenital problem,” but said an election with opportunities like this have only come along four or five times in American history.

“I am excited to be on a team and I don’t use those terms, I’ve never been team,” said Biden. “I’ve sort of a been a one-man band you know.”

“I am honored to be part of making sure – helping to make sure I hope – that the first African-American, the first guy who looks at things from a perspective like no one I’ve worked with – and I’ve been around a long time – gets to be President of the United States,” Biden later added.

Going forward, the Delaware senator is expected to be Obama’s attack dog on the trail, but Tuesday morning he didn’t mention John McCain once.

He will address the convention Wednesday night when he will receive the Democratic Party’s vice presidential nomination.

1. From Arkansas

Real men do cry! Biden has been through a lot in his life. He lost his first wife and daughter in a car crash....a horrible thing. Also, when you succeed in life and good things happens to you...you will get choked up when you think of the ones you love are not there to share it. So people get a life!

August 26, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  2. Saggia

What's truly pathetic is that Republicans always revert to name calling – whether it's to disparage Obama, Biden or their supporters. It is clear they have little self-respect (which is understandable given their electoral choices) and certainly none for anyone else.

They show themselves, their party and their candidate for what they really are – soulless, mean-spirited, dishonest, mud-slinging Big Brothers.

Now THAT'S enough to make anyone cry.

Here's to HOPE for a brighter future – OBAMA / BIDEN '08 AND '12!

August 26, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  3. Obama/Biden 08'

Joe – you are great man, kind heart and wih great principles, Washington could not change you. You are a great example for other knuckle heads politician to learn from. I hope they do or I will exercise my natural birth right to vote them out of office.
    I applause the emotional human side of you ! That's what great people do when they are touched at heart by others kind acts and show appreciation ! That's good manner, the American way !!
    I will vote for you twice if I can !!!

August 26, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  4. Don in CA.

He saw former Labor Party leader Neil Kinnock cry during a speech once and decided to copy that too.

August 26, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  5. The Ticket is Upside down

Biden yes, Clinton yes, but Obama is just not ready, so this long time Dem is voting for McCain for the sake of my children and this great natuion

August 26, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  6. Judgement over Experience

Obama/Biden! Yes we will!

August 26, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  7. TO ALL OBAMA SUPPORTERS

the more the Obama supportes try to intimidate us, Clinton supportes, the more decided we are to vote for McCain. .

August 26, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  8. Democrat for Hillary

I would rather have anyone (man or woman) who would NOT shun our troops because he couldn't take cameras and media with him.
    SHAME on Obama. That was NOT a very patroitic move he made.
    I have no problems with Biden, he would probably make an excellent VP....However, it is Obama I have very deep concerns about. Not least of all is his shunning of our troops. Agree with the war(s) or not....SUPPORT OUR TROOPS.....
    THEY KEEP YOU FREE........NOT Obama....
    A socialist country is NOT a FREE country.

August 26, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  9. Martin California

Biden is a good man. That is something very important. As far as McCain is concerned he has lost all respect I have had for him. He wants to fall back on his being a P.O.W. as an excuse for everything he does wrong. Unfortunately the media goes along. McCain cheated on his wife. Its ok he was a P.O.W. Edwards cheats on his wife it shows bad judgment. McCain is called on his economic standing and can't or won't say how many homes he has. Its ok he was a P.O.W. He knows nothing about how hard things are for the majority of us. Its ok he was a P.O.W. He is asked what qualifies him to be president. He was a P.O.W. He is experienced in security matters Why because he was a P.O.W. He is a hero. Why because he was a P.O.W. Being a P.O.W. is not the basis for any of those things he claims. This man is a joke. His background would lead to the downfall of any other political figure. But not McCain. Why? because he was a P.O.W. Enough already

August 26, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  10. Navy Veteran

McSame/McWorse answer to everything: "I spent five years in a POW camp." Uh, sorry John.., that does not qualify you to serve as President of the United States. Go count your houses and move on, please.

August 26, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  11. Zachary

To those making comments about the Hillary crying/Biden crying saga I must say first of all the reason it doesn't seem fake coming from Biden is because he has no reason to fake it. He's not on the verge of losing his primary bid because everyone says he's a robot. Hillary on the other hand fit that description perfectly when she had the same emotional outpouring.

I voted for Clinton by the way but now that Obama is the nominee I proudly support him as I believe in the democratic ideals more than I believe in the Clinton family. And as patriotic and respectful to those same ideals as they are I think the Clinton's themeselves wouldn't have it any other way but to have total support for the Obama/Biden ticket.

August 26, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  12. Jerral

watch c-span
    no interuptions at all. you see and hear every thing

August 26, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  13. Edwin

Joe Biden American Hero. If a Repuglycan tried to cry he wouldn't know what to do, hahaha.

August 26, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  14. Paula

Finally, after 8 years of men in the White House who would refuse women their reproductiverights, rights to their OWN body, and 35% of women who would follow like sheep, we are getting a duo of men comfortable with who they are and not afraid to show it.
    Pro Choice Obama/Biden 08

August 26, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  15. Jeff

Has anyone told hin that he can't get an Academy Award for the convention? Anyone that buys Bidens sincerity, I have some swampland in Florida for sale...
    Biden is a hypocrite
    Obama is a egomanical con-man
    I am a lfelong Democrat who is ashamed for my Party.

August 26, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  16. Chris S.

Man its good see a life long senator choke up every now and then. This lets us know that hes serious about changing this country for the better. By the way, Hillary Cliton cried becuase she acused the media of picking on her. She cried becuase she was a cry baby.

JUST BECUASE YOURE A CONSERVATIVE DONT MEAN YOURE A REPUBLICAN. BEING A REPUBLICAN DOENST MAKE YOU A CONSERVATIVE.

August 26, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  17. The Truth Please.

LOL!!!!!! Clinton came under so much fire for crying. Looks like Obama's team is picking up her technique.

August 26, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  18. CM

He is the perfect candidate for Vice-President! Rock on!!

August 26, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  19. WOW

Wow...I just can't believe some of the comments that I am reading. For those with such NEGATIVE comments...why don't you try closing your mouth, get off your tush, and YOU do something worthwhile for community, state, and country. I'd love to hear your comments once Obama/Biden are in office an you reap the benefits!

August 26, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  20. nola

i think if each one of us took the time to look back over our lifes we to would shed a tear. From what I have read Senator Biden suffered a major lost – wife and daughter were killed in a car accident – two son were injuried. I am sure he remembered the incident and the number of people from his home state helped him during this period and probably sitting at the breakfast were some people that have always been with him – the good times and the sad times.

Obama/Biden 08

August 26, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  21. obama all the way

Nice to see a little sensitivity.

Go Biden!!

Obama/Biden 08!!!

August 26, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  22. Marilyn

What is the matter with these people???? Stop crying!!! We need strong, tough leaders in this country, not a bunch of cry babies.

August 26, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  23. Mike

People should be ashamed of labeling Sen Biden a crybaby. I think you are entitled to a couple of tears due to nestalgia. Especially after 30 years of public service to the people of Delaware even while enduring two personal tragities. I am sure he has shown more tenacity in the face of adversity than many of the worms writing disparaging comments in this forum. They only wish they had his fortitude!

Go Obama, Go Biden!

August 26, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  24. Welcome Sen. Biden

There was nothing corny regarding you expressing sincere feelings with humor and humility. It's refreshing to hear someone speak from their heart.
    God bless you and Senator Obama.
    I can't wait until you all are in the White House. We need some honesty, integrity and intelligence.

Obama & Biden 08 & 12

August 26, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  25. Bobby from MS

Is this all the democrates can do is cry? First it was Hillary, now it is Biden. Enough is enough. You liberals make me sick. You wish ill will on Tony Snow and now Robert Novac for having CANCER but you think it is cute when these two liberal cry. You are some twisted people.

August 26, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |