August 26th, 2008

Biden chokes up

Joe Biden spoke to the Delaware delegation this morning in Littleton, Colo.

Joe Biden spoke to the Delaware delegation this morning in Littleton, Colo.

LITTLETON, Colorado (CNN) - An emotional Joe Biden addressed the convention’s small Delaware delegation at a breakfast at their hotel Tuesday morning, thanking them for their years of support in good times and bad, and joking that the only reason he accepted the nomination was so they could get a prime seating location in the convention hall.

The Delaware senator lavished praise on Barack and Michelle Obama, saying the Illinois senator has a perspective he has never seen in Washington before, and predicting Michelle Obama’s Monday night speech will be remembered as the most significant event at the convention.

Watch: Biden praises Michelle Obama

“Not Barack Obama, not Joe Biden, not Ted Kennedy, but Michelle Obama's speech,” the newly-minted VP candidate said.

“This is a great honor being nominated vice president of the United States, and I am proud of it.” Biden also said as he choked up. “I don't mean in any way to diminish it. But it pales in comparison to the honor that I've had representing you.”

Biden remarked that he wished the breakfast was closed to the media because of what he called “corny sounding” comments.

Watch: Biden tearfully thanks Delaware friends

“I don't know whether I would have made it through a lot of the tough times in my life without you guys, I mean it sincerely” said Biden who lost his first wife and daughter in a car crash in 1972, shortly after being elected to the Senate.

He joked that his optimism isn’t “borne out of some congenital problem,” but said an election with opportunities like this have only come along four or five times in American history.

“I am excited to be on a team and I don’t use those terms, I’ve never been team,” said Biden. “I’ve sort of a been a one-man band you know.”

“I am honored to be part of making sure – helping to make sure I hope – that the first African-American, the first guy who looks at things from a perspective like no one I’ve worked with – and I’ve been around a long time – gets to be President of the United States,” Biden later added.

Going forward, the Delaware senator is expected to be Obama’s attack dog on the trail, but Tuesday morning he didn’t mention John McCain once.

He will address the convention Wednesday night when he will receive the Democratic Party’s vice presidential nomination.

1. AMERICA'S PROMISE

GO OBAMA!!!

GO BIDEN!!!

August 26, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  2. Hakim Rasheed

I have to admit that I was hoping Obama would pick Jack Reed, but on balance I think Senator Biden is a pretty good pick. Besides, he's from Pennsylvania, which is the state I'm from so he can't be all bad (smile.)

Obama/ Biden 08 and 12

August 26, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  3. MikeH

CNN is already trying to diss Michelle's speech (see "praise for Kennedy mixed bag for Michelle"), that must mean Michelle did an excellent job and CNN has to tear it down to please their Republican money-masters who are afraid they'll get taxed when Obama gets elected.

Anyone wanting to get an unbiased view should go watch/read the BBC reports.

August 26, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  4. TSAH from Virginia

IT'S RAINING DEMS – HALELUAH!!
    It's raining DEMS – Hey Hey!!

Tears mean LOVE – LOVE means UNITY!!
    UNITY means Strength – Strength means ACCOMPLISHMENTS!
    Accomplishments mean WINNING the Presidency in November!!!

OBA-DEN 2008-2016 – YES WE WILL!!!

IT'S RAINING DEMS – HALELUAH!!
    It's raining DEMS – Hey Hey!!

August 26, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  5. TW

People get over the Hilary thing!!!! SHE LOST......Your choice is Barack or McCain....that's it.

August 26, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  6. Brandon

I think Joe is a god choice by Obama campaign but I am not fooled a pinch by the good speech of Michelle. She is trying to move away from the angry and bossy lady that she is. It did not work with me eben though she really acted the new michelle very well.
    She now sees Hillary as good where as she was not for running against her husband; she was not proud to be an American until Obama ran for office and like others, she would have divorced Obama to get money if Obama, her boy backslide.
    Obama had her as a mentor and eventuall married her. I hope she will not crash Obama's political life with her control of her boy – Obama.
    Hillary and supporters should let Obama be but take the fight to irritants like pelosi, dean and others who suck.

August 26, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  7. MZ

Maybe he's tearing up 'cause he stole the v.p. role from someone else who was far more deserving !!!!!
    No Hillary then NOBAMA !!!!
    Mccain '08 !!!!!

August 26, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  8. Kaye Martin

Senator Biden has consistently shown grace under pressure. I watched his reaction to the speeches by Sentor Kennedy and
    Mrs. Obama. It was clear that he was deeply affected by both.

It will be great to have such an honorable man working alongside President Obama.

Obama/Biden '08!

August 26, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  9. Joe Vanderbosch

Thank you Joe Biden for always "telling it like it is". I supported you since the beginning, and love that you are on this ticket.

August 26, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  10. MikeH

You can tell who all the Republican plants are here, by their common talking points.

August 26, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  11. Jeff U

It's truly sad that the Republican Party attack machine has successfully turned so many Americans into hate-filled, pathetic excuses for human beings. People whose lack of rational thought and logic is scary when one realizes that they vote.

They have no policies and no agenda other than spewing hatred towards anything with a Democratic label on it.

August 26, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  12. Chris

Sorry, but Biden hasn't done jack squat for DE except produce an Attorney General son who failed the bar exam three times before he was elected to the highest legal position in the state based off of his pappy's name.

August 26, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  13. Jimmy in NYC

One can feel through his words that Joe Biden is a good man. He and Barack will have a lot of work to do and I am glad the Wise Barry chose Biden to help him. Yo Joe!(Sorry)
    Also, let's not expect all the miracles to happen the day after Barack is elected. It took us Eight years to get into this awful mess and it will probably take just as long to get out of it.
    As long as I know that the smart guys are driving I am OK. It's the McWarMongerMagoo/young guy ticket that scares me.

Brains before Bullets,
    Obama/Biden 08/12

August 26, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  14. mike

Cry me a river. Barf.

August 26, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  15. Jk

First off, I'm a Biden fan – I was rooting for him all last summer through the Iowa caucus. Where did all this love come from for him, where was it then? He's the same guy now as he was then – no one paid attention, the media only focused on Obama and Clinton. He was/is the most honest to God qualified person to be president. One thing I do need to ask though, why is it perfectly acceptable for Biden to get emotional and choked up, however, it was totally untolerable when Hillary did it. I just hope that all of the people posting above about how touching and how nice it is to see Senator Biden choke up aren't the same ones that slammed Hillary to the ground when she did. If so, that would be blatant sexism. Oh wait, there was none of that going on in the primary was there?

August 26, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  16. 18,000,000 plus the disenfranchised

Now I know he is full of it!

August 26, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  17. Christian

It would be nice too see a normal human as VP, not someone with ice in his veins like Cheney. Good guy Joe. Now time to get tough and kick the RICHpublicans out of office!

August 26, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  18. obama all the way

*Biden our time, Barackin the vote!*

Anne,

I love this. I think I shall use it. Think it should be on a campaign button. You should contact the Obama camp 🙂

August 26, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  19. Proud Dem

I am thrilled that Barack Obama chose Senator Biden to be his running mate. Joe Biden has served this entire country consistently and whole-heartedly for many years.
    Obama/Biden in 2008!

August 26, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  20. Dem People

Yawn. Hillary cried and it was travesty; Biden cries and it's heroic. Please. And for the person who said he'd like to see McCain cry, I imagine he was made to do more than that as a POW. You zealots make me sick.

August 26, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  21. Mack

I have no problem with Biden tearing up...however, I find some of the Obama supporters( of which I am now one) somewhat hypocritical..When Clinton got emotional...we did not hear the end of disdain from you people. Funny how your opinions change.

August 26, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  22. Dave in Leesburg

What a friggin joke.

August 26, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  23. Jeffer65

With all the hateful, spiteful comments here from people on all sides, I sometimes wonder if this country really deserves to survive.

August 26, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  24. Cindy the therapist

All you people who put down Biden and Hillary for crying probably grew up being accused of being "cry babies" yourself and never learned that tears are a normal, healthy outlet for emotions. Consequently, you probably have all sorts of big problems yourselves that you wouldn't have if you lot yourself cry. Alas, in our barbaric country, machisimo rules of intelligence much of the time!

August 26, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  25. Richard

Give him a bucket! He will be crying after the election!

August 26, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |