August 26th, 2008

Biden chokes up

Joe Biden spoke to the Delaware delegation this morning in Littleton, Colo.

Joe Biden spoke to the Delaware delegation this morning in Littleton, Colo.

LITTLETON, Colorado (CNN) - An emotional Joe Biden addressed the convention’s small Delaware delegation at a breakfast at their hotel Tuesday morning, thanking them for their years of support in good times and bad, and joking that the only reason he accepted the nomination was so they could get a prime seating location in the convention hall.

The Delaware senator lavished praise on Barack and Michelle Obama, saying the Illinois senator has a perspective he has never seen in Washington before, and predicting Michelle Obama’s Monday night speech will be remembered as the most significant event at the convention.

Watch: Biden praises Michelle Obama

“Not Barack Obama, not Joe Biden, not Ted Kennedy, but Michelle Obama's speech,” the newly-minted VP candidate said.

“This is a great honor being nominated vice president of the United States, and I am proud of it.” Biden also said as he choked up. “I don't mean in any way to diminish it. But it pales in comparison to the honor that I've had representing you.”

Biden remarked that he wished the breakfast was closed to the media because of what he called “corny sounding” comments.

Watch: Biden tearfully thanks Delaware friends

“I don't know whether I would have made it through a lot of the tough times in my life without you guys, I mean it sincerely” said Biden who lost his first wife and daughter in a car crash in 1972, shortly after being elected to the Senate.

He joked that his optimism isn’t “borne out of some congenital problem,” but said an election with opportunities like this have only come along four or five times in American history.

“I am excited to be on a team and I don’t use those terms, I’ve never been team,” said Biden. “I’ve sort of a been a one-man band you know.”

“I am honored to be part of making sure – helping to make sure I hope – that the first African-American, the first guy who looks at things from a perspective like no one I’ve worked with – and I’ve been around a long time – gets to be President of the United States,” Biden later added.

Going forward, the Delaware senator is expected to be Obama’s attack dog on the trail, but Tuesday morning he didn’t mention John McCain once.

He will address the convention Wednesday night when he will receive the Democratic Party’s vice presidential nomination.

1. Cathy

David W.

ALL politician have speech writers. But for the record, Obama helps writes a lot of his own speeches.

If it wasn't for speech writers, McCain would only talk about his POW stories and war.

August 26, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  2. Rick FL

Part of a person's endearing quality comes from having the courage not to shy away from emotion when appropriate. Biden has been through more in his life than many of us could imagine. God bless him.
    Obama / Biden

August 26, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  3. obamaton

Change, change, change! Obama is all about change! That's why he has changed and picked an old dude w/ more than 30 years of experience in the same ol' thing! In the end, Obama will say "America, keep the change."

August 26, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  4. CNN you're repulsive!

CNN you're repulsive! How many of McCain's negetave ads are you going to promote for him??? Don't you see that they're making the ads so you can speread the word for them free of cost? And if this is the case, why don't play any of Obama's ads? Oh i see, he's not a Clinton:(

August 26, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  5. Honestlady

All because one crys does not mean that they are not strong!

August 26, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  6. Fernandez

Forget it Biden- You used a lot of pressure to get noiminated. Are you ready to VEEP? DNC has screwed up again

August 26, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  7. ark

good God, thank you for the best of american... Obama/Biden. McCain is an agenda against united state

August 26, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  8. Dan , TX

I am stunned that truly immature, childish comments criticizing Biden for caring about people.

I feel sorry that these people are so bitter and unloved that they can't understand why Biden would be emotional talking to key supporters who have been supporting him for over 30 years. What has become of America?

August 26, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  9. Billy

Reading these posts full of venom makes me worry for America.

August 26, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  10. sam

There is nothing wrong with tears of joy flowing from a expanding heart.

My heart has been separated from my mind ever since Bush took office.
    It's time to integrate the two again.

When was the last time your emotions were moved by appreciation of the emotional strength, the emotional intelligence, of a Presidential candidate? It's the candidate that moves the emotions of the people that is worth supporting. We follow the man who follows his dreams.

Michelle's emotional intelligence is balanced by a very clear intellect. That's what integration is all about. I have no doubt about Joe Biden.

A little purification now will lead to a lot of progress in integrating our one nation in the coming months.

August 26, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  11. ObamaAllTheWay

I always liked Biden I like him even more now that he is Obama running mate. This shows that Obama has a good Judgement chosing biden. Biden stands for working people like me an honerable man.

August 26, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  12. EqualBranchesofGovernment

Last night was so lovey dovey it was almost sickening except for Teddy Kennedy's amazing speech getting to Denver despite his health...the Democrats better take the gloves soon!....

August 26, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  13. Brooke

There will be a lot of crying at Obama HQ come Election Day.

August 26, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  14. John Smith

I'd love to hear from Cindy MCCain. This nation must be getting tired of electing incompetent and senile people as leaders to nowhere. Just look at where this nation has been in the past 8 years because of FEAR!!! You wake up each day and listen to dead beat fools who claim nothing but service to this nation. Are parents, teachers, doctors etc. not serving this nation? War vs. disease; the doctors, parents, and teachers are the true heros of the United States, not war pilots!!

August 26, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  15. Jerry

How hypocritical can you be (get)?! I guess he was well taught by Senator Barack America, or maybe, just maybe, by Michelle America.

August 26, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  16. Casenta

I am proud to be a part of this historic process. Never have we embarked upon a time where we are all free to vote and decide who would be the best candidate to lead our country and the world. I am especially proud of the acheivements and great sacrifices Barack and Michelle have made to make not only their communities better, but themselves better. I as an African-American woman myself, am extremely honored to have been present in such a time of change that will not only change politics forever, but also the mindsets of those of us who choose to believe or not believe that anything is possible if you set your mind to it!

August 26, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  17. Ryan

Someone else will be doing the crying once the debates start. Don't pull any punches Joe, give em hell!!

August 26, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  18. Empty suit, empty promises

Emil Jones anyone?

Come on MSM, you know and I know if you report that Obama's political Godfather Emil Jones called a black, female Clinton delegate an UNCLE TOM for supporting a white woman over the black man, IT WOULD DESTROY THE PARTY AND THE CONVENTION WOULD BE RUINED.

Sometimes it is not what you report, or how you report it but WHAT THEY DON'T REPORT ON.

Obambi would be RUINED for his latest lack of judgment in "friends" and it would add to the list (Ayers, Wright and Rezco).

August 26, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  19. Bill

Biden is a real person. We are so lucky to have him. What a statesman. Go Joe! Iowa loves you!

August 26, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  20. David Newport, OR

I bet Biden knows that Pakistan does not have a common border w/ Iraq unlike McCain.

August 26, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  21. Lois

Had Hillary not lied and tried to undermine Barack at the game, she would have been the nominee. However, she clearly lost! She knew the rules, agreed to the rules and now she wants be considered the golden doll...no, no, no she is now doing the right thing and supporting Barack the WINNER. So therefore, Hillary supports get on board and support Obama unless you want to be a McCain victim and statistic.

Lois
    Tustin, CA

August 26, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  22. obama all the way

You Hillary supporters need to GET A FREAKIN LIFE!!!..

She lost, get over it!!!!

She is over you, when will you bitter, hatemongering morons wake up!!!

This IS NOT about YOU!!!!

It is about the future of this country.

If you are a women who enjoys your right to choose and to make equal pay, than Obama is your pick.

If you want all your rights tossed out- then Mcain is your man.

Pick one and go with it, but stop your whining!!!

August 26, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  23. cjsks

This ain't no show. Biden is a man of the people... someone who will never forget who he is and where he came from. I'm very happy that he got the nod to join Obama on the Democratic ticket.

August 26, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  24. interesting

So Larry Sinclair and Donald Young and the Obama connection had nothing to do with it either?

How about Rezko?

PUMA 2008!

August 26, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  25. Fred C Dobbs

Why is Joe Biden tearing up? He's not going anywhere!

August 26, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |