August 26th, 2008

Biden chokes up

Joe Biden spoke to the Delaware delegation this morning in Littleton, Colo.

Joe Biden spoke to the Delaware delegation this morning in Littleton, Colo.

LITTLETON, Colorado (CNN) - An emotional Joe Biden addressed the convention’s small Delaware delegation at a breakfast at their hotel Tuesday morning, thanking them for their years of support in good times and bad, and joking that the only reason he accepted the nomination was so they could get a prime seating location in the convention hall.

The Delaware senator lavished praise on Barack and Michelle Obama, saying the Illinois senator has a perspective he has never seen in Washington before, and predicting Michelle Obama’s Monday night speech will be remembered as the most significant event at the convention.

Watch: Biden praises Michelle Obama

“Not Barack Obama, not Joe Biden, not Ted Kennedy, but Michelle Obama's speech,” the newly-minted VP candidate said.

“This is a great honor being nominated vice president of the United States, and I am proud of it.” Biden also said as he choked up. “I don't mean in any way to diminish it. But it pales in comparison to the honor that I've had representing you.”

Biden remarked that he wished the breakfast was closed to the media because of what he called “corny sounding” comments.

Watch: Biden tearfully thanks Delaware friends

“I don't know whether I would have made it through a lot of the tough times in my life without you guys, I mean it sincerely” said Biden who lost his first wife and daughter in a car crash in 1972, shortly after being elected to the Senate.

He joked that his optimism isn’t “borne out of some congenital problem,” but said an election with opportunities like this have only come along four or five times in American history.

“I am excited to be on a team and I don’t use those terms, I’ve never been team,” said Biden. “I’ve sort of a been a one-man band you know.”

“I am honored to be part of making sure – helping to make sure I hope – that the first African-American, the first guy who looks at things from a perspective like no one I’ve worked with – and I’ve been around a long time – gets to be President of the United States,” Biden later added.

Going forward, the Delaware senator is expected to be Obama’s attack dog on the trail, but Tuesday morning he didn’t mention John McCain once.

He will address the convention Wednesday night when he will receive the Democratic Party’s vice presidential nomination.

1. California Gold

Only in America can those of ordinary beginnings reach the highest levels of elected office. If you don't find that reality humbling: if that truth of this country doesn't move you emotionally then for heaven's sake don't ridicule those who are moved.

August 26, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  2. Obama will win

Nice to see a guy with some a emotion. We are sick of the McCain/Bush tough talks all the time. He will make a good VP

August 26, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  3. Kevin

Joe Biden == greatness

August 26, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  4. Robert

I feel bad if anyone who is ridiculing Biden's emotional expression on this blog is an adult.

Pick up a book, people. Biden has had a remarkable life and if one opens their mind they can clearly see why this is emotional for him.

Sometimes, reading these blogs are almost as ignorant and belligerent as YouTube comments. Think before you write.

August 26, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  5. thomas

We ran a youtube search of the prospective democratic vice presidential candidates six months ago and Biden came up as the only viable candidate of those being considered. A great choice.

August 26, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  6. DMD, New York

I think the Obama camp and DNC want Hillary to have a limited roll call at the convention because now that Florida and Michigan have their votes back, a full roll call would mean Hillary gets the nomination and not Obama….then all unholy hell would break loose. And if what I just wrote is not true, I don't know what else the reason would be. And in the heart of my hearts, I cannot vote for Obama. This is my biggest dilema yet. It doesn't mean I would necessarily vote for McCain come November or even sit out the vote. There are two other people running….Nader and Bahr.

August 26, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  7. Mercedes

What a team! The perfect ticket that I have seen in my life time. I'm only 37 and for me I feel as if I was going to vote for the first time. Good luck and hope you help change this country around. I need to show respect so others can respect us. I'm a proud catholic and will pray for you.

August 26, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  8. stone

He cannot protect Obama from having a very thin resume.

August 26, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  9. JRR

I am glad he was chosen. I was supporting him in the primary and was sad when it did not take off. It says alot about Obama that he chose someone that will speak his mind even when he does not agree with him.

Obama/Biden O8!

August 26, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  10. proud army and navy mom

Dont worry Joe you will till be a Senator there next year.......No need to cry

August 26, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  11. Ex-Republican for Obama

I cried the day the towers fell, one of 5 times in my entire life. And if you didn't, then you are a terrorist.

Yes, it's ok to cry when something means something to you. Whether it's Joy, Pride or Sorrow, it shows humanity, humbleness, heart and conviction. Only a person supporting world anhialation would ridicule the power of a heart felt tear.

These are the reasons McCain supporters don't like tears, this country means nothing to them, and they are void of emotion for it. Then again, after systematically beating out of it any and all good things, I can understand their lack of pride/emotion in the country they have thrown down the drain.

Let's take it back.

Obama/Biden all the way. The only candidates left standing that actually CARE about our country still.

August 26, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  12. Tom in Delaware

Sorry...I have no response to that.

August 26, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  13. Anne E.

"Corny?" Not hardly! The senator is an honorable man who speaks his mind. Doesn't know when to stop? It's refreshing to hear this man - whatever he says - instead of what we've had to listen to the past eight years! Say more, Senator - I'm all ears!
    Biden our time,
    Barackin the vote!

August 26, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  14. ANGIE

TWO GREAT GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OBAMA/BIDEN 08

August 26, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  15. Jack

Now let's go get kick some RNC!!!!!!!!

August 26, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  16. ALLAN USA

Cry, like a baby. Yek. NO HRC NO obama.

August 26, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  17. CM

DMD, please stop now. Even with all the votes counted Hillary would only be closer to Obama's total and not leading herself. The supers went with the guy who had the lead and the most votes.

That being said. Go Dems!!!! All of us together will get back the WH!

August 26, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  18. JJ

Congratulations Mr (I mean VP) Biden on your nomination. barack choosing you was an excellent choice. I'm sure you will serve America with great honor and pride as always.

Making corny comments only shows how you really feel. Your feelings are genuine and we respect that!

August 26, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  19. D. Chaney

So!

August 26, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  20. Oseki Otens Evans

Good old Joey lad. Stay the course and winds to your sails!

August 26, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  21. Scott Independent - NYC

This is an honorable man of compasion and consideration. His knowledge, his commitment and his strength will be much appreciated in this country – ONCE HE WIPES THE FLOOR WITH THE REPUBLICAN SLIM MACHINE and moves into the White House.

THANKS JOE

August 26, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  22. Tony

After 8 years of a maniacal, evil Dictator, Obama/Biden will be like a breath of fresh air for the first time in a very long time.

GO Dems!

August 26, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  23. Catherine

Joe is a great senator. And he's right about Michelle Obama; her speech was very impressive and touching. Joe and Barack are the type of leaders we need in the White House to get the country back on the right track.

August 26, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  24. manubi

As a Biden supporter in the primary, I am extremely proud of him. He is what a public servant should be. He is a person who has been through so much in his life: who lost his son and his first wife in a car accident and who had two brain aneurysm repairs. Yet, he is a person who is dedicated his life to the people he represented. Joe Biden is the type of leader that this country needs, especially during the time of war and economic crisis.

For those of you who attacked him for any unknow reasons, get a life! Please DON'T waste CNN's server quota to post some absolutely futile and inconsequential comments.

August 26, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  25. Voting Obama

Well done Biden! I am glad Obama picked you!
    Lets make it happen and take back the white house Dems!!

Obama/ Biden 2008 and beyond.

Lets fix what the republicans did!!! No more Bush or McShame!!

August 26, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |