August 26th, 2008

Biden chokes up

Joe Biden spoke to the Delaware delegation this morning in Littleton, Colo.

Joe Biden spoke to the Delaware delegation this morning in Littleton, Colo.

LITTLETON, Colorado (CNN) - An emotional Joe Biden addressed the convention’s small Delaware delegation at a breakfast at their hotel Tuesday morning, thanking them for their years of support in good times and bad, and joking that the only reason he accepted the nomination was so they could get a prime seating location in the convention hall.

The Delaware senator lavished praise on Barack and Michelle Obama, saying the Illinois senator has a perspective he has never seen in Washington before, and predicting Michelle Obama’s Monday night speech will be remembered as the most significant event at the convention.

Watch: Biden praises Michelle Obama

“Not Barack Obama, not Joe Biden, not Ted Kennedy, but Michelle Obama's speech,” the newly-minted VP candidate said.

“This is a great honor being nominated vice president of the United States, and I am proud of it.” Biden also said as he choked up. “I don't mean in any way to diminish it. But it pales in comparison to the honor that I've had representing you.”

Biden remarked that he wished the breakfast was closed to the media because of what he called “corny sounding” comments.

Watch: Biden tearfully thanks Delaware friends

“I don't know whether I would have made it through a lot of the tough times in my life without you guys, I mean it sincerely” said Biden who lost his first wife and daughter in a car crash in 1972, shortly after being elected to the Senate.

He joked that his optimism isn’t “borne out of some congenital problem,” but said an election with opportunities like this have only come along four or five times in American history.

“I am excited to be on a team and I don’t use those terms, I’ve never been team,” said Biden. “I’ve sort of a been a one-man band you know.”

“I am honored to be part of making sure – helping to make sure I hope – that the first African-American, the first guy who looks at things from a perspective like no one I’ve worked with – and I’ve been around a long time – gets to be President of the United States,” Biden later added.

Going forward, the Delaware senator is expected to be Obama’s attack dog on the trail, but Tuesday morning he didn’t mention John McCain once.

He will address the convention Wednesday night when he will receive the Democratic Party’s vice presidential nomination.

1. Dandelion.

Aww. 🙂

August 26, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  2. Tex Ann gone independent

Let's see- when Hillary Clinton teared up, all the Obama lemmings made nasty comments about her. Now ol' Joe Biden can tear up and you all think he's showing human emotion. Make up your minds, folks.... wait, that would require.... oh, never mind.

This isn't a slam to Biden because I think he's probably a good man, but it's just to show the hypocritical inconsistencies of some of you Obama people.

However, Michelle Obama's speech hopefully will NOT be remembered as "the most significant event at the convention". If it is, then God help us, because the Democratic party will be in worse shape than I thought.

August 26, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  3. New Yorker

Spare me! Mr. Arrogant Crying???

McCain is tough enough to handle world affairs.

McCain 2008 !!!!!!

August 26, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  4. pat C.

i love you Joe! you are the finishiing touch to a perfect team. please go out there and whip butt for the gang. we have been waiting for this new team for 8 years. you make john mccain look like an old man and you can blow him away!
    we have your back Joe, you and Obama ARE THE BEST THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO THIS COUNTRY.

August 26, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  5. Master Yoda

Good man, biden is. Yes, hmmm.

August 26, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  6. Mariann Poopitone

what? you mean we might have a GOOD MAN in the White House as VP instead of a slimy sleazebag?

August 26, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  7. Terry

What a joke!!!!!!!!

August 26, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  8. KATHLEEN

Joe Biden is a man's man. Joe Biden is the kind of man that
    American's should love. He said that being nominated for
    Vice President "pales in comparison to the honor that I've had
    representing you. "
    Delaware breakfast was closed upon Bidens request because
    he did not want to appear corny. He wanted to thank Delaware
    saying that with the loss of his first wife and daughter in a car
    accident, he could not have made it without these people that
    believed in him.
    He is a handsome man. The best selection of someone who
    seldom shows emotion, but humbly thanked his people. That
    is a humble man. I love him.
    Praising Michelle's speech is as one that will be remembered
    at the convention and stated that in Obama he has :a prospective that he has NEVER seen in Washinton before.
    I love it that McCain's name was never mentioned! Ignore him?
    Love it!!!!

August 26, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  9. Debi

What a compa s sionate man. Certainly missing in the current V.P. who likes to say "so" in response to the American people's feelings about issues concerning them. Love you Joe! You've accomplished many great things as Senator for Delaware and our nation is a better place because of it. Looking forward to the wonderful things you and Obama will be doing as President/Vice President of The United States Of America.

Obama/Biden '08, '12
    Change/Experience
    A Winning Ticket

August 26, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  10. Callie- 23- Savannah, GA

Great VP Choice!! we are all human lets not forget that we all do get emotional at times we aren't robots!!
    OBAMA/BIDEN 08

August 26, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  11. tennisguypitt

To all of those people who ridculed Biden for choking up... what would you do in this situation?

Enough Said!

Obama/Biden '08

August 26, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  12. Kim

hmm, let's see if the obamabots get on him for crying, like they did Hillary. Now he's human but I guess she wasn't bunch of hypocrites.

August 26, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  13. Mark

Biden is a great choice, His emotionality shows he's human and hasn't burned out like many politians like McCain, Bush, and Cheney who have only two emotions- Anger and more anger. Its great to see someone who really likes people. – Rebublican now voting for Obama

August 26, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  14. You should have voted for Hillary!!!

Give me a break! What is wrong with these people? Must be something in the drinking water...

I am not voting for any of these people!!!

August 26, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  15. Lisabeth

Joe, We are so glad to have you as the VP candidate! I did not know much about you until recently for whatever reason, and I am very impressed after reading all about you.
    Second a comment to CNN, we have been really tiring of what you call news and journalism. I feel that you make mountains out of molehills, that you look for little problems and make them huge in the media, your coverage is not neutral as news should be. The little catch phrases "digging deeper" "best team on televison" etc, are annoying, not memorable. I used to love watching CNN. I am not sure what has gone wrong. We are watching PBS for the dem convention because of these things.

August 26, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  16. LS

A man with a warm heart. That's a good thing to have.

Too bad the Obama haters-bloggers are not as lucky to know what it is like to have a warm heart. That is why you all are bitter and will suffer your self inflicted bitterness the rest of your pathetic hateful lives.

August 26, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  17. S. Boatman

Im Not Voting For You Mccain Unless I See You Cry!

August 26, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  18. geecee827

Gotta love Joe Biden. He's always been a favorite of mine. Obama did us a great service selecting him as V.P. I wish the best for both of them. Can't wait until they hit the ground running after the Convention is over and start slamming the McCain team. Between the campaigning and the debates, they will get the job done. The only poll that matters is the one on Nov. 4th and you just know with a twosome like Obama/Biden, there's no way we are going to lose!!

August 26, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  19. Billy J -Austin-Tx

Out of the guys running I was for Edwards first (man, am I glad that didn't work out) and Biden next. My real choice would have been Clark. Obama impressed me with his speech at the last primary convention but no way did I think he had what it takes right now to get a progressive agenda done and done right. However..... I KNOW the Republicans will not do the right thing for this country so.... the lever comes down for Obama. I don't mean to disrespect all repulicans, but their philosophy has certainly been completely explored for the last 10 years if you include their taking over both houses so thoroughly, and we can see what that got us. I just hope that Obama gets the kinds of fighters he is gonna need and trys to embrace a populist theme more than just a socially liberal one.

August 26, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  20. Robin, Florida

Who the heck cares if Obama is black, white, red, blue or PURPLE? We're ALL bi-racial, as a matter of fact, my mother was adopted so I'm a frickin' unknown multi-racial hybrid. IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE!!

He is not a great black man. He is not a great bi-racial man. He is just a GREAT MAN.

Period. Stop talking about the color of his skin.

August 26, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  21. Filipina

Its ok for a man to cry, its represent him as a human being.

August 26, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  22. John in NYC

Did anyone know that Biden makes less than 200k a year after so many years in the senate?
    With all the out of touch millionaires in Washington DC(like McCain) it is nice to know that there are some non-millionaires out there that still care and understand me and my concerns(I make 45k a year).

Obama/Biden in 08/12!

August 26, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  23. Patriot

Biden is crying even more than Hilary?
    This cannot be a good sign. lol

At least the 'inevitable' Hilary waited until she got whupped in Iowa before she moistened for the cameras.

Biden has Bush-McCain foray into Ossetia to thank for Obama selecting him as VP.

August 26, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  24. Robin, Florida

PS. If Biden's polls numbers go up after this, John McCain will soon be bawling like a baby.

August 26, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  25. bob in L.A.

Joe's a good guy. It's too bad more people didn't know it in his run for office. He should be on the top of the ticket!

August 26, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |