August 26th, 2008

Biden chokes up

Joe Biden spoke to the Delaware delegation this morning in Littleton, Colo.

Joe Biden spoke to the Delaware delegation this morning in Littleton, Colo.

LITTLETON, Colorado (CNN) - An emotional Joe Biden addressed the convention’s small Delaware delegation at a breakfast at their hotel Tuesday morning, thanking them for their years of support in good times and bad, and joking that the only reason he accepted the nomination was so they could get a prime seating location in the convention hall.

The Delaware senator lavished praise on Barack and Michelle Obama, saying the Illinois senator has a perspective he has never seen in Washington before, and predicting Michelle Obama’s Monday night speech will be remembered as the most significant event at the convention.

Watch: Biden praises Michelle Obama

“Not Barack Obama, not Joe Biden, not Ted Kennedy, but Michelle Obama's speech,” the newly-minted VP candidate said.

“This is a great honor being nominated vice president of the United States, and I am proud of it.” Biden also said as he choked up. “I don't mean in any way to diminish it. But it pales in comparison to the honor that I've had representing you.”

Biden remarked that he wished the breakfast was closed to the media because of what he called “corny sounding” comments.

Watch: Biden tearfully thanks Delaware friends

“I don't know whether I would have made it through a lot of the tough times in my life without you guys, I mean it sincerely” said Biden who lost his first wife and daughter in a car crash in 1972, shortly after being elected to the Senate.

He joked that his optimism isn’t “borne out of some congenital problem,” but said an election with opportunities like this have only come along four or five times in American history.

“I am excited to be on a team and I don’t use those terms, I’ve never been team,” said Biden. “I’ve sort of a been a one-man band you know.”

“I am honored to be part of making sure – helping to make sure I hope – that the first African-American, the first guy who looks at things from a perspective like no one I’ve worked with – and I’ve been around a long time – gets to be President of the United States,” Biden later added.

Going forward, the Delaware senator is expected to be Obama’s attack dog on the trail, but Tuesday morning he didn’t mention John McCain once.

He will address the convention Wednesday night when he will receive the Democratic Party’s vice presidential nomination.

1. Obama!!

crybaby?? geesh you are all harsh!

August 26, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  2. Chipster

I can't believe all the whining about a few honest tears. "Cry Baby???" Are you people like 12 years old or what? Does a little genuine emotion really frighten you so much? Joe Biden is a good man and a real man – not afraid to show he cares deeply for his constituents or his country.

Maybe when you grow up, you'll understand.

August 26, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  3. Pep

Awe Joe :0 ) Congradulations! I can only hope that John McCain will make as wise of a choice as Obama has. Now atleast we will have some strong experience near the helm, something more than a great speach at a prior convention, if Obama is indeed elected.

August 26, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  4. Spencer from VA

Finally!! A VP with a heart. I never heard of Joe shooting his best friend in the face.

August 26, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  5. TonyinKentucky

Joe Biden = what is RIGHT and GOOD in Washington.

A few hundred Joe Biden's and all of the sudden our government wouldn't be broken anymore, which is why Senator Biden makes perfect sense on a change ticket despite his long tenure.
    It is because he gets it and rides that train every day to go to work for US.

August 26, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  6. deroy

was it better than neil kinnock's speech which biden copied. he had to remove himself from presidential campaign in 1988 becuase of his lies.

obama is the best he has seen in 40 years in DC?
    he's lying again.
    obama has 143 days in the senate.

August 26, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  7. Master Yoda

Good man, biden is. Yes, hmmm. Good man.

August 26, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  8. janis - Missouri

I like Biden and his emotional display is fine by me. What bothers me the most is how the media and Obama supporters find his tears are acceptable but thought it showed weakness in Hillary.

August 26, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  9. Willy

Alligator tears I am sure.

August 26, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  10. checkthisout

IT CAN GET UGLY OUT THERE.
    IT IS WHAT SEPARATES THE MEN FROM THE BOYS.
    TOO MANY CRY BABIES HERE.

August 26, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  11. Gary of El Centro, Ca

Biden was one of my early favorites in the race. Even though he didn't catch on as a top runner, I'm glad to see him get a chance to serve as vice-president. He will serve us well.

August 26, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  12. Maggie VT

Biden is great.

I read obn HPost abouy an article that JM has out and sent to the tight states. It was about Obama's children. HPost did not show the video but told what was in it. I didn't think he could go any lower

August 26, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  13. Alice in Florida

WOW!!!!! McCain ahead in the polls after the first day of the Convention!!!! This is a FIRST even for DIMocrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Democrat dopes should have gone with Hillary! Back when she would have chosen Obama as VP, and we've have this sewn up by now!

But NOOOOOOOOOOOO – Dean and Pelosi had to SHOVE an unelectable candidate down our throats! Well, they shall reap what they have sown 🙂

PUMA

August 26, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  14. TEARY JOE

Now this is what I'm talking about !!!
    SEXISM SEXISM SEXISM SEXISM
    Hillary tears up and is considered a weak cry-baby
    Joe tears up and he is applauded.

Wake the Hell Up Americans !!!

August 26, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  15. Sylvia B

Congratulations Vice President Biden. The tears show that you have a heart which compliments Obama's intelligence as well as empathy for others. You two are the dream team. Americans have been waiting for this day a long time.

August 26, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  16. Patrick

Obama promised change.
    He chose a running mate who is not a millionaire. That sounds like change to me.

August 26, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  17. Richard

You will be crying in Onvember when you loose the election!
    Then what will your supporter CNN do.

Hillary supporter for McCain!!!!!

August 26, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  18. OPRAGHLINK

Obama has chosen to disregard a sure ticket to win the presidency when he did not choose Hillary. If he looses like Kerry and Gore do not blame 18 million voters who could have given him a victory. It is his own wrong doing, his lack of vision and desire to unite the party what made him a looser.

August 26, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  19. Sharon

OMG- Biden teared up. Where's all the nasty comments. It was the topic for days after Hillary showed emotion. I realized along time ago I made the right decision for leaving the Democratic Party after 40 years. I think back of how stupid I was for putting my time and money in this party. Of course there is no way in h___ I could have voted for Bush.

August 26, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  20. Raymond Duke

Tony he did not identify himself as BI-Racial. He identifys himself as a African- American. I f you do not believe me just watch the news and see what he identifys himself as. I think the whole label is wrong. Based on his orgions he should be labeled as a half kenyan muslim black with a white liberal mother who prefferred a (Barka) instead of being a free woman. Of course that is her choice and appartenlty the one she prefferred based on two marriages and both to Muslims.

August 26, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  21. Murray

Tony: "When in the hell are people going to start referring to OBAMA as BI-RACIAL?"

As soon as the bigoted people who won't vote for him because of his race agree to give him half a vote each.

August 26, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  22. RufusVonDufus

Thank goodness I had not yet eaten lunch before I read this article or Biden would have been the reason my lunch came up. What a goofy, jerkball article. He ought to cry over voting FOR the bill the credit card companies wanted while his son was one of their lobbyists. Now that is change I can understand.

August 26, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  23. Ray

GALLUP showing McCain up by 2 points......HA HA HA HA HA HA . Dems picked another loser.
    GO HILLARY!!!!

August 26, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  24. mary

I love you Joe, I have always like what you stand for. I am so glad and very proud you were picked for VP.

Change Obama/Biden 2008

August 26, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  25. Lindsay in CA

Biden was the absolute best choice that Obama could make for his VP. I think it shows he has good judgment. Also, Biden is the one choice the Republicans were most afraid of. This is a great ticket!

August 26, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |