August 26th, 2008

Biden chokes up

Joe Biden spoke to the Delaware delegation this morning in Littleton, Colo.

Joe Biden spoke to the Delaware delegation this morning in Littleton, Colo.

LITTLETON, Colorado (CNN) - An emotional Joe Biden addressed the convention’s small Delaware delegation at a breakfast at their hotel Tuesday morning, thanking them for their years of support in good times and bad, and joking that the only reason he accepted the nomination was so they could get a prime seating location in the convention hall.

The Delaware senator lavished praise on Barack and Michelle Obama, saying the Illinois senator has a perspective he has never seen in Washington before, and predicting Michelle Obama’s Monday night speech will be remembered as the most significant event at the convention.

Watch: Biden praises Michelle Obama

“Not Barack Obama, not Joe Biden, not Ted Kennedy, but Michelle Obama's speech,” the newly-minted VP candidate said.

“This is a great honor being nominated vice president of the United States, and I am proud of it.” Biden also said as he choked up. “I don't mean in any way to diminish it. But it pales in comparison to the honor that I've had representing you.”

Biden remarked that he wished the breakfast was closed to the media because of what he called “corny sounding” comments.

Watch: Biden tearfully thanks Delaware friends

“I don't know whether I would have made it through a lot of the tough times in my life without you guys, I mean it sincerely” said Biden who lost his first wife and daughter in a car crash in 1972, shortly after being elected to the Senate.

He joked that his optimism isn’t “borne out of some congenital problem,” but said an election with opportunities like this have only come along four or five times in American history.

“I am excited to be on a team and I don’t use those terms, I’ve never been team,” said Biden. “I’ve sort of a been a one-man band you know.”

“I am honored to be part of making sure – helping to make sure I hope – that the first African-American, the first guy who looks at things from a perspective like no one I’ve worked with – and I’ve been around a long time – gets to be President of the United States,” Biden later added.

Going forward, the Delaware senator is expected to be Obama’s attack dog on the trail, but Tuesday morning he didn’t mention John McCain once.

He will address the convention Wednesday night when he will receive the Democratic Party’s vice presidential nomination.

1. Shawn - Ga

Good guy, too bad he is stuck on a losing ticket.

August 26, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  2. no fear

A strong man is not defined by how tough he can be, but that he has the ability to feel and express emotion.

obama/biden 2008

August 26, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  3. Rafael

Go Barack, Go Joe, you got my vote.

August 26, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  4. Jill in Chicago

No Biden, Hillary's speech will top Michelle's and Barack's should be the speech of the convention, because he is the candidate.

August 26, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  5. CL OT

Yep, America is getting weak.

I guess Biden is not as smart as everyone thought. Just a few months ago he was saying Obama was unqualified.

August 26, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  6. Ana in Missouri

We love you Senator Biden. You're genuine and will make an excellent vice president.

August 26, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  7. David Newport, OR

Biden is a decent man. I understand this choice. All intelligent people understand this choice.

August 26, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  8. McCane Straight Lies

I never knew Clint Eastwood could cry...:P

Go ahead... make my day.. 😉

August 26, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  9. Dem

Wow. So if Hillary cries, it was OMG.... what a softee, can't have that in a President. But Biden cries and it's it's all gosh.... What a great guy.
    He can cry. If it was McCain, everyone would be what a wuss.

Double standards.

And didn't Biden also say Obama is inexperienced?

Neither McCain or Obama is fit to be the President.
    Time to look at who is running independent.

August 26, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  10. Crush Rush

Joe is a good man for the job. Now get to work and get after Rove and Limbaugh.Rush just said things have been great for 8 yrs.

August 26, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  11. Earl, Manchester, Wa

Joe Biden is Bush's Cheney but lacks the chutzpah to be as effective.

It appears the media would prefer speaches over substance.

Hillary 2012

August 26, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  12. Joan Brown

I am so pleased that Senator Biden is on the ticket and I love the man and pray sincerely that they get the nopmination

August 26, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  13. DJ in TX

Based on some of the comments in this blog, I can see why this country is so messed up. I fought for this country under Bush 41. It ters me up to see where we've come and where we're going. While I'm an Obama supporter, most likely NOBODY can bring this country together. The reason is American's don't seem to WANT to be together.

Hillary put up a good fight. You can't blame the media (if you listen to them your an idiot anyway). You can't blame the DNC (true they screwed up the MI & FL thing), but it wasn't the DNC that cuased Hillary to lose 13 states in a row. Her campaign let her down and she didn't help the matter. They had no plan past Super Tuesday, squandared the big lead they had. Anyway......I digress.

Joe Biden is a true public servant. One of the 5, NON MILLIONAIRES in Congress. He hasn't used his office for personal gain. He truly just wanted to represent the people of Deleware and the US as a whole.

It is time to stop all this madness. Our troops are dying for us and all we can do is bicker and call each other names and deride someone for being emotional. Let's stop the madness, find some common ground and make our politicians accountable to us – the American people.

August 26, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  14. Matt

Joe is extremely impressive in every single way!

August 26, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  15. hawaii voter

Well, after last nights press coverage of the Dem Convention, I have come to realize one thing:

CNN does NOT have the best political team on television....

We switched over to PBS and were extremely pleased with Jim Lehrer and his analysis team–they were fair and balanced, not unnecessarily hung up on the search for controversy, avoided the whole stringing out of the Clinton followers that CNN is obsessed with, and put several lesser speeches like those of Barack's sister and Jesse Jackson Jr. in proper important perspective–while Carville and the pundits wanted only to downplay them and call the night "wasted."

Incidentally, did anyone see the brisk comment of Caroline Kennedy to Wolf Blitzer's rude prodding about the process of selecting a VP choice?

"No, I am not going to walk you through it. It was a confidential process."

Sheepish Wolf promptly shut up:)

August 26, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  16. joe

Crying like Hillary...

WAAAAAAAH!!!!! There is no crying in the White House.

Oh yeah that's right he will only see the inside if McCain invites him for dinner.

August 26, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  17. Alex

I love this guy. He is genuine. I was praying Obama to pick him and I am happy that he picked him. I hope the people this team for what they are and give them the chance they deserve to serve. I am hopeful that they will clean Bush’s mess and restore America’s pride.

August 26, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  18. John in Iowa

Yeah this is what we need running our country, a full-grown man crying like a baby.

What a wimp!

August 26, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  19. carlo

Joe Biden is REAL people. This man has worked his heart out and never forgot where he came from.

August 26, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  20. Joe Kiloz

I T' S----3 : 0 0 ---A M---W H O ' S --M I N D I N G-–T H E,

S T O R E ? ? ?

August 26, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  21. DJ Los Angeles

Let the man have his peace...he has been a Senator since 1972, show some respect.

August 26, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  22. Kevin

Awwwww. How sweet? Now, if her speech is going to be the most memporable event of the convention, the Dems have REALLY big problems. Oy.

August 26, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  23. JV

I just don't get it. Why would you pick someone who could not get votes in the primary.

Just don't think he should have been the one. Should have chosen someone else.

August 26, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  24. Erin in Edmonds WA

Dennis from Chicago – you are full of it.

Obama was born in Hawaii, which is a state.

The questionable candidacy is John McCain's. He was born in the Panama Canal Zone, which is not part of the US. According to article 22 of the constitution that states eligibility to become president–one must have born in the US. This is why California's governor can't run for president. Check your facts–why there isn't a holy stink being raised by this, I don't know.

If he wins, it should be challenged–Republicans again using the constitution as toiley paper.......

August 26, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  25. jim - chicago, illinois

What a guy! What an awesome choice for VP. He will be fantastic! I can't wait to see the Biden-Romney VP debates (if that's who King George III picks for his running mate.) If it is Romney, Biden's going to have him for lunch!

August 26, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |