August 26th, 2008

Biden chokes up

Joe Biden spoke to the Delaware delegation this morning in Littleton, Colo.

Joe Biden spoke to the Delaware delegation this morning in Littleton, Colo.

LITTLETON, Colorado (CNN) - An emotional Joe Biden addressed the convention’s small Delaware delegation at a breakfast at their hotel Tuesday morning, thanking them for their years of support in good times and bad, and joking that the only reason he accepted the nomination was so they could get a prime seating location in the convention hall.

The Delaware senator lavished praise on Barack and Michelle Obama, saying the Illinois senator has a perspective he has never seen in Washington before, and predicting Michelle Obama’s Monday night speech will be remembered as the most significant event at the convention.

Watch: Biden praises Michelle Obama

“Not Barack Obama, not Joe Biden, not Ted Kennedy, but Michelle Obama's speech,” the newly-minted VP candidate said.

“This is a great honor being nominated vice president of the United States, and I am proud of it.” Biden also said as he choked up. “I don't mean in any way to diminish it. But it pales in comparison to the honor that I've had representing you.”

Biden remarked that he wished the breakfast was closed to the media because of what he called “corny sounding” comments.

Watch: Biden tearfully thanks Delaware friends

“I don't know whether I would have made it through a lot of the tough times in my life without you guys, I mean it sincerely” said Biden who lost his first wife and daughter in a car crash in 1972, shortly after being elected to the Senate.

He joked that his optimism isn’t “borne out of some congenital problem,” but said an election with opportunities like this have only come along four or five times in American history.

“I am excited to be on a team and I don’t use those terms, I’ve never been team,” said Biden. “I’ve sort of a been a one-man band you know.”

“I am honored to be part of making sure – helping to make sure I hope – that the first African-American, the first guy who looks at things from a perspective like no one I’ve worked with – and I’ve been around a long time – gets to be President of the United States,” Biden later added.

Going forward, the Delaware senator is expected to be Obama’s attack dog on the trail, but Tuesday morning he didn’t mention John McCain once.

He will address the convention Wednesday night when he will receive the Democratic Party’s vice presidential nomination.

1. McBoob

Im choked up knowing Hillary and Bill and their crooked fruad White water clan wil NEVER see the whitehouse..All you PUMA morons shuld be ashamed of backing this fraud case. Spend millions to retire her debt, it's your children's tuition money...idiots!

August 26, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  2. TESAP; SAVANNAH, GA

real men do cry.........................

BARACK THE VOTE PEOPLE.......

August 26, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  3. Amber

Joe, you make this Democrat proud.

Obama/Biden
    The True Dream Ticket

August 26, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  4. Reality check

You guys who keep saying that "only in America" can someone with humble beginnings get elected to the highest office, get a freeking clue in life, and stop being such ignorant xenophobic morrons!!! That's why the rest of the world tends to think of Americans as self-centered idiots, because that's exactly how they act. There are 200 more countries out there, and in there you have presidents that came from super humbling backgrounds:
    – Brazil, Lula was a shoe shine boy (you do better than that)
    – France, Sarkozy was a plant worker's son from Hungary who decided to emigrate to France rather than the US because it was cheaper to get there, given his meager means
    – Israel, Golda Mayer was a sheep lady in a kibutz
    .... (and on and on)

So please, for your own good, stop being so voluntarily ignorant to try to make a point. Yes, the US has a great history, but don't belittle that of others by making fraudulent superlative comments.

August 26, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  5. Dee New Jersey

I love that Biden was chosen. Also, I thought the speech last night by Michelle Obama was beautiful. It is ashame that some Conservative
    Republicans (especially one in particular on Fox) has to be so radical on his opinions. He should look into the mirror at himself to see a man that to me is arrogant and laughs like satan.

I am tired of listening to them. This includes Karl Rove who I think comes with alot of baggage. Some day they will get to the truth about him. I hope McCain picks Tom Ridge or Joe Lieberman as his running mate just to upset these guys. I will get a good laugh from it.

August 26, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  6. Joe

I like Joe Biden and its really refreshing to me to see someone who doesn't come across totally calculated.

August 26, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  7. Raymond Duke

I love the way that the CNN moderators delete the comments about Joe Biddens health issues with anurisms and Nancy Pelosi waiting in the wings to be vp if Joe does not make it thru the four years if by accident Obama was to win. I also love the fact that the CNN moderator deleted the comment about Nancy Pelosi misleading the american people in her speech regarding how the catholic churchs policy is really on abortion. Read the article from the catholic church (don't take my word for it). With Bidens view and pro-liberal stance on abortion I do not think he will be bringing too many real catholics to the voting booth for Obama.

August 26, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  8. o-bi one

We are proud of you, Joe. Now it is on to making this country great, again.

August 26, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  9. Jim

Lisa how many time's has HIllary cried?? You are such a disgusting hypocrite!

August 26, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  10. norrehi - Ohio

Great job Joe!! Joe Biden.....the really nice and sensitive guy. Start with a tear and give those republicans a false sense of security before you let them have it with both barrels....

August 26, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  11. Kevin

Its OK Joe. Real men cry too. I cried also from far away Germany

August 26, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  12. Lourdes

Some of you are just plain nasty. Biden has gone through a heck of a lot in his life and has a LOT to show for his fortitude. Even if you don't support the ticket, a modicum of decency would be nice.

August 26, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  13. Will

What a wuss, he cries like president Bush!

August 26, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  14. David

Well, if Biden crying means he's a wuss, then all of our rough, honed athletes that were at the Olympics must all be wusses too, because I saw a lot of them crying when they got their gold medals.

Wussy athletes! Take their gold medals away, because they are weak!

(yeah, that would be sarcasm)

August 26, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  15. cindy barba

We don't need a cry baby
    When Hillary looked tear eyed it was talked about for weeks on national news
    Will the same happen with Obama and Biden

August 26, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  16. Mike - Texas

Let's see if Obama will loose a point for each day of the convention, he already dropped 1 point since yesterday.

August 26, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  17. Iowan that can think for himself

To Hillary supporters. The hardest thing in competition is to admit defeat and that time is now. When you finally do, grow up and don't be vindictive. Vote on the issues, because Obama and Clinton beleived in a lot of the same things. If you vote for McCain, you are disgracing your own beliefs and values.

August 26, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  18. Brian

Biden was an awesome choice. As soon as this convention hoopla is over, he's going to be working hard and out straight-talking McCain's Straight Talk Express.

August 26, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  19. Letha, SD

OMG, if all of you don't sound like raving idiots. Go ahead, Biden and play to the audience but someone explain why a tear makes him a great guy. Clinton shed a tear and you all blasted her and now a man sheds a tear and you all want to diaper him. If things don't go right for him, if he makes it to the VP slot, will he shed a tear and all of you will simply say...OK.

August 26, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  20. W O W WO W

D I D,,,,,,,,H E,,,,,,,,,,T A L K,,,,,,,,,,,T O,,,,,,,,,,,,,G E O R G I A N S ? ? ? ? ?

August 26, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  21. Dan

Welcome aboard Senator Biden. Let's win this thing and fix America.

August 26, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  22. Kevin

I respect Biden, but he has his faults like everyone else. Crying is something he did because of his 35 years service to the people of his state. There is no shame in that. However, I am sad that he is a VP candidate to Obama. The country would be alot better off if Biden was the top pick of the Dems. At least then he would actually be able to compare substance with McCain. Obama just has his fancy speeches, but no real substance. Sorry Dems, but VP's do not win you elections. On Nov. 4 it will come down to who America trusts with the next 4 years: McCain or Obama. If those are my choices then I pick McCain!

August 26, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  23. Damien, Reston VA

I'm not even sure why this is newsworthy to note that Biden was crying, but good for him; he sounds like a decent guy. I knew little of Biden before Obama selected him as VP, but I'm starting to like him more and more as a person. He just sounds like a decent human being and isn't afraid to be completely honest.

August 26, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  24. Sean from NC

Everyone get's emotional from time to time. For those calling Biden a "cry baby" should take a good look at their own lives. They have probably cried over similiar situations: birth of a child, graduations, weddings and funerals. Let's get real people. Besides Biden should make a good VP. It's nice to see a VP with a human side.

August 26, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  25. California Voter

Michelle's speech was OK, but nothing to get choked up about. She did as required - soften the image and paint the story of a blue color family. I think the real speech of the evening was Ted Kennedy's . . .and I don't particularly care for the man.

It's OK for a man to cry, but whoa to the woman that even appears as she might cry . . . . . . .!!!!!!!! A double standard for sure.

August 26, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |