August 26th, 2008

Biden chokes up

Joe Biden spoke to the Delaware delegation this morning in Littleton, Colo.

Joe Biden spoke to the Delaware delegation this morning in Littleton, Colo.

LITTLETON, Colorado (CNN) - An emotional Joe Biden addressed the convention’s small Delaware delegation at a breakfast at their hotel Tuesday morning, thanking them for their years of support in good times and bad, and joking that the only reason he accepted the nomination was so they could get a prime seating location in the convention hall.

The Delaware senator lavished praise on Barack and Michelle Obama, saying the Illinois senator has a perspective he has never seen in Washington before, and predicting Michelle Obama’s Monday night speech will be remembered as the most significant event at the convention.

Watch: Biden praises Michelle Obama

“Not Barack Obama, not Joe Biden, not Ted Kennedy, but Michelle Obama's speech,” the newly-minted VP candidate said.

“This is a great honor being nominated vice president of the United States, and I am proud of it.” Biden also said as he choked up. “I don't mean in any way to diminish it. But it pales in comparison to the honor that I've had representing you.”

Biden remarked that he wished the breakfast was closed to the media because of what he called “corny sounding” comments.

Watch: Biden tearfully thanks Delaware friends

“I don't know whether I would have made it through a lot of the tough times in my life without you guys, I mean it sincerely” said Biden who lost his first wife and daughter in a car crash in 1972, shortly after being elected to the Senate.

He joked that his optimism isn’t “borne out of some congenital problem,” but said an election with opportunities like this have only come along four or five times in American history.

“I am excited to be on a team and I don’t use those terms, I’ve never been team,” said Biden. “I’ve sort of a been a one-man band you know.”

“I am honored to be part of making sure – helping to make sure I hope – that the first African-American, the first guy who looks at things from a perspective like no one I’ve worked with – and I’ve been around a long time – gets to be President of the United States,” Biden later added.

Going forward, the Delaware senator is expected to be Obama’s attack dog on the trail, but Tuesday morning he didn’t mention John McCain once.

He will address the convention Wednesday night when he will receive the Democratic Party’s vice presidential nomination.

1. Obama Supporter

. . . AW, Joe.

Obama / Biden 08.

August 26, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  2. ArtNYC

He's been in congress for 30 years, what a breath of fresh air. "Change" is really coming.

August 26, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  3. Chuck

Biden crying still doesn't make me want to vote for Obama.

August 26, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  4. twister49 - oklahoma

why isn't CNN and the other media all over this, remember back when Hillary cried a little and everyone made fun of her being the weak one, but now that this guy is doing it, it's OK????????? Really???

August 26, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  5. Sandy

OK now Joe, explain how someone with 36 years' senate tenure, a working wife, and an estate in Dupont country with a driveway longer that some highways, can be worth a mere $150,000. Don't you have retirement acounts?, pension? equity in a home?vehicles? If you worked your whole life and have nothing to show for it, I'm not so sure you ARE qualified to be the VP.

August 26, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  6. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

To those peope making fun of Joe Biden for crying: YOU PROBABLY CRIED WHEN THE PATRIOTS LOST THE SUPER BOWL!

Priorities!

August 26, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  7. Jo

awww,another cry baby like obama and his supporters is it because hil supporters won't fall in line, or is it the polls he is looking at!!

August 26, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  8. Jason

Yay, Joe is pulling something straight out of the Hillary NH playbook here! Way to tear up there Joe to gather support!

August 26, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  9. Jim

Joe BIden is a sincere and honorable man and a perfect choice for VP. He seems certain to be a key member of Obama's team, similar to Al Gore (or Cheney for Bush).

The comments by Republican Lisa and others that "now we don't need a cry baby as VP!" and "crybaby Biden" are despicable and cruel.

This is an historic convention and election for all those Americans who are not afraid to show their emotions!.

August 26, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  10. Jan/Illinois

Congratulations Joe! Now go get em!

August 26, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  11. PAW, CA

Gotta love Joe......

August 26, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  12. Lisa

No Need to cry Biden, you will be back in Stratton and Obama will be back in Chicago with the wife and kids come November.

August 26, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  13. Phil-Little Rock

Way to go, Joe. You'll make a fine VP!!

GO OBAMA!!

August 26, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  14. La Raza

To all of you haters, just remember the republican convention is next, and I can't wait to unload on that gathering of circus freaks. You'll have:

John "insane" McCain
    Rudy "the ghoul" Giulliani
    Fred "Dead" Thompson
    George "the monkey" Bush

and others. Stay tuned more to come.

August 26, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  15. Jean

'The Delaware senator (Biden) lavished praise on Barack, saying the Illinois senator has a perspective he has never seen in Washington before..'.

Is he serious? This is pure pandering for votes! Many people express the views that changes need to be made in our government. You can beleive NO career politician will ever lift a finger to make the changes needed....that includes Barak Obama! All fluff and no substance!

August 26, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  16. John

I LOVE YOU JOE BIDEN.

August 26, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  17. Zachary

What humility. Such an important quality that we have been without in the white house for too many years.

And to those making comments about the Hillary crying/Biden crying saga I must say first of all the reason it doesn't seem fake coming from Biden is because he has no reason to fake it. He's not on the verge of losing his primary bid because everyone says he's a robot. Hillary on the other hand fit that description perfectly when she had the same emotional outpouring.

I voted for Clinton by the way but now that Obama is the nominee I understand that considering fundamentally they believe and push for the same things, of course it is best for the country to elect Obama. After listening more and more in fact and seeing how he effects everyone around him I'm more convinced than ever and just pray that the Republicans in sheeps clothing (PUMA) will be tossed out and not only avoid four more years of Bush but instill a new sense of purpose and level of respect in the whitehouse.

August 26, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  18. Renee' McDuffie

You sorry hard hearted people need to get a life. If you can not say anything good just shut the ???? up.

August 26, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  19. marcel

When Senators Obama and Biden are elected on November 4 2008 and are sworn in as President Obama and Vice-President Biden on January 20 2009, the USA will be once again respected around the world.

August 26, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  20. Todd

I have always liked Biden...he makes remarks that other politicians are too scared to say...they fear too much about their reelection and not enough about speaking their minds. We elect leaders to lead and stand up for what they believe...that is why we vote on the issues they support. I would rather have someone like Joe Biden or Obama because at least you know where you stand with them...unlike many who say one thing and then do another...McCain I hear has voted against a Bill which he himself proposed. Not to bring up the age issue with McCain but sometimes I wonder if he remembers who he was 8 years ago before he sold out to the GOP Establishment to get the Nomination in '08? Would love to hear your thoughts Jack Cafferty.

August 26, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  21. Alesia

Obama/Biden!!! McCain is still crying about his small time of being a POW!

August 26, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  22. Michelle, PA

Joe Biden is a good man and a decent man. It's refreshing to be able to vote for a politician – two, in fact – I would actually allow in my home with my children present. That's unusual in modern American politics.

Obama/Biden 08

August 26, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  23. Bill

He got 4000 votes, he should be crying...........HRC got 18 MILLION

August 26, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  24. Ready for Change

I'm with you Biden, Dems have alot to be crying about, so let's all tear up.

August 26, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  25. David

What would you Dems say if McCain started crying during a speech. OMG, I can just hear it now. It's just different when it's someone you like. They are both white haired, old and a lot of old experience. But it's just different. Right?

August 26, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |