August 26th, 2008

Biden chokes up

Joe Biden spoke to the Delaware delegation this morning in Littleton, Colo.

Joe Biden spoke to the Delaware delegation this morning in Littleton, Colo.

LITTLETON, Colorado (CNN) - An emotional Joe Biden addressed the convention’s small Delaware delegation at a breakfast at their hotel Tuesday morning, thanking them for their years of support in good times and bad, and joking that the only reason he accepted the nomination was so they could get a prime seating location in the convention hall.

The Delaware senator lavished praise on Barack and Michelle Obama, saying the Illinois senator has a perspective he has never seen in Washington before, and predicting Michelle Obama’s Monday night speech will be remembered as the most significant event at the convention.

Watch: Biden praises Michelle Obama

“Not Barack Obama, not Joe Biden, not Ted Kennedy, but Michelle Obama's speech,” the newly-minted VP candidate said.

“This is a great honor being nominated vice president of the United States, and I am proud of it.” Biden also said as he choked up. “I don't mean in any way to diminish it. But it pales in comparison to the honor that I've had representing you.”

Biden remarked that he wished the breakfast was closed to the media because of what he called “corny sounding” comments.

Watch: Biden tearfully thanks Delaware friends

“I don't know whether I would have made it through a lot of the tough times in my life without you guys, I mean it sincerely” said Biden who lost his first wife and daughter in a car crash in 1972, shortly after being elected to the Senate.

He joked that his optimism isn’t “borne out of some congenital problem,” but said an election with opportunities like this have only come along four or five times in American history.

“I am excited to be on a team and I don’t use those terms, I’ve never been team,” said Biden. “I’ve sort of a been a one-man band you know.”

“I am honored to be part of making sure – helping to make sure I hope – that the first African-American, the first guy who looks at things from a perspective like no one I’ve worked with – and I’ve been around a long time – gets to be President of the United States,” Biden later added.

Going forward, the Delaware senator is expected to be Obama’s attack dog on the trail, but Tuesday morning he didn’t mention John McCain once.

He will address the convention Wednesday night when he will receive the Democratic Party’s vice presidential nomination.

1. ET

YES YES If they get into office we'll all be in tears

August 26, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  2. William A. Schaedler from St. Louis

Just what is to be expected coming from an old political hack like Biden. Ask Biden what Obama's specific ideas are in moving this nation out of its downward spiral and I bet he couldn't tell you. It's a real shame that the Democratic party can do no better than these two I hope people stay home on election day. It's not worth it..

August 26, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  3. ginchinchili

Biden is much more qualified than Obama and should be at the top of the ticket. The only thing we have to go on with Obama is his word, the word of a rich, highly ambitious, lawyer turned politician with no track record to speak of. Once again I'm disappointed in America's inability to recognize true leadership over Britney Spears-style pop appeal. We will continue our downward spiral until this changes, which won't be any time soon.

August 26, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  4. Honest VP What a Change

We had Al Gore who was so whipped by Hillary he couldn't step up to the plate. We had Chaney who was iron fisted.

At last we have the opportunity for a decent VP...who would have guessed it. Oh I get it...a strong leader picks STRONG people. Right!!

August 26, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  5. Minnesota against Johnny McSame

You go Biden. Go get the people responsible for taking the country down. We will have your back.

August 26, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  6. jeanette from Charlotte

Joe Biden will be an exceptional Vice President.
    God Bless him and his family.

August 26, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  7. Independent-Latina-for-OBAMA

"EX-REPUBLICAN FOR OBAMA" : WELL SAID!

Boy, some of the sarcastic comments on the blog are just mean. Since when can't a man choke up?

We are after all humans. Though from some of the ads and comments from the far-right-nuts its hard to believe.

TO 'NEW YORKER' YOU SAY, "MCCAIN IS STRONG ENOUGH TO HANDLE WORLD AFFAIRS"........ REALLY?

HE DID SIGN THAT LITTLE SONG "BOMB........BOMB........BOMB IRAN"

CAN WE AFFORD ANOTHER WAR-MONGER IN THE WHITE HOUSE???????????????????????????????????????????

MCCAIN IS ANOTHER BUSH/CHENEY...... AND FRANKLY HOW CAN WE AFFORD ANOTHER WAR-MONGER?

OUR NATIONAL DEBT HAS DOUBLED UNDER BUSH/CHENEY/MCCAIN............ ALMOST.........$10 TRILLION DOLLARS.........OWED TO THE PEOPLE WHO.........ATTACKED US ON 9/11..........THE SAUDIS.........TO CHINA........ETC.

WE ARE SPENDING $1.38 BILLION IN IRAQ...........EACH DAY!

WHILE OUR HARD-WORKING AMERICANS CAN BARELY MAKE ENDS MEET!

TODAY........ THE FINANCIAL NEWS IS DISMAL........ AIG AND LEHMAN BROTHERS ARE NEXT IN ........FAILED INSTITUTIONS!

OUR NATION IS IN A CRISIS, WE NEED OTHER IDEAS, PLANS, ETC., WE CAN ......NOT.........AFFORD........MCCAIN!

August 26, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  8. Jean

Joe Biden
    I think an excellent choice!!!!!!!

August 26, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  9. phillysuz

I seriously cannot understand these people who think that 4 more years of exactly the same adminstration is a great idea. Don't they see the economy in shambles? Don't they get that we have lost over 4,400 men and women to the war. Don't they realize that times are tough for MOST Americans right now? Don't they see that we need a change? Obama/Biden is our Only choice. I have to pray and believe that the American people will come around and do the right thing in November.

August 26, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  10. Arack Bobama

Cry me a river, Joe! How about some real leaders with some real backbone with fewer sleeves full of emotion these days – anyone? I'm SOOO sick and tired of the Oprah-ization of this country. In the words of a great Amercian, just "git-er'done" and spare me the tears!

August 26, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  11. Independent

If you all love Biden so much, why didn't you vote for him in the primary? I was leaning to Obama, but this pick of Washington insider just threw that thought out the window. I will wait to see what McCain has to offer and then decide whether to vote for McCain or no one at all !!!!!!

What kind of change does Biden bring?????????????????

August 26, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  12. me 4 obama

GREAT choice for VP.
    Clinton supporters – you say you are with her "100%". If she asks you to vote for Obama, and you won't, then you are NOT with her 100%.
    If you vote for McCain, shame on you.
    Any TRUE American would not vote for McCain. POW does not a president make.
    The republicans have spat on the Constitution one too many times, and wasn't once enough?

August 26, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  13. Grimmix

Joe Biden rules. Best choice for VP that could've been made.

August 26, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  14. Biden YES/ Obama NO

I'm a strong republican and actually like Biden. As far as Obama goes, I think he is all talk and has no clue what it takes to be President. This is NOT a popularity contest people......who cares if the guy shoots hoops and talks the good talk.......he is NOT qualified to be President.......someday, maybe.......but not yet. McCain is strong, confident and has been there and done that......Obama hasn't even been in long enough to make any "change" in the Senate, why should we listen to his call for "change" so soon??? Obama.." This is a great country......help me "change" it" For the worse that is....GO McCain!!!

August 26, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  15. Victoria

I pray for Obama and I pray that he wins this election.This country can'nt afford another BushMccain term.

August 26, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  16. John B. From New Hampshire

i'm amazed at people's short attention spans!!! Jeannie, Obama did NOT lose big time in those states you mentioned!! none by more than 10 points, and indiana in particular, less we forget, they statistically tied!! there was no percentage, less than 25,000 votes!!!! please, please, please put feminism aside for once, and vote for the good of our country, not your retarded pride!!! McCain will make you look foolish!!!

August 26, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  17. Biden YES/ Obama NO

By the way, after the election , if Obama wins, Biden will go to that secret room every other VP goes to and we'll never hear from him again.........where do they go anyway???

August 26, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  18. fa

this guy remians me of true. So real and so true. What you see is what you get. Obama is the cerbral one and one the one-two point: straight talk. I believe they compolkiment each other good. I think how ever sad or not satisfying it may be Hillary wouldn't have been the emotional and political wise choice. The Republicans keep blostering the ad sing HRC words. let me tell you Hillary was their candidate and would have made things easier for them. Hillary would have enerise the Republicans base and Indepent more than anything else. So the first lesson in choosing A VP: do not harm.

I would have maybe been dissapointed if Obama has choosen Clintonbut I would have goten over it sometime soon. I do undersatnd the PUMA but let me say this Come the morning after: Barick wins or loses the PUMA would say OMG what did I do?

August 26, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  19. Jane

I was always for Biden. He is an excellent choice. Barack Obama is a fine man with a big vision. We need this!

I am heartsick about what the Republicans, mostly Bush & Cheney, have done to this country. Bush has singlehandedly bankrupted the richest country on earth!

We need the hope of Barack's new ideas.

August 26, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  20. Toks Oke

Folks, it is nornal to disagree with each other on issues, but to resort to name(s) calling? Wake-up pple. Seems like we are not Americans.
    Some of us must have been from outer space and beyond.

August 26, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  21. Jimmy P - Chicago

BiIden's just another long-time democratic stooge!

August 26, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  22. BT, St. Paul, MN

Can't wait for Joe to rip into McCain's veep choice in the debate!

August 26, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  23. Republican for Obama

Biden is a good and honorable public servant. He will make a fine Vice President...no doubt!

August 26, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  24. MO for McCain

Ha, what bunch of poo!!
    Biden has been in Washington longer than McCain, how's that for change?

August 26, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  25. Janet

I find it interesting that it's mostly women making "don't be a crybaby" type comments here. What's up with that? I'm thrilled to have a VP candidate who can actually feel and react to things, after having Darth Vadar the Soulless for the last 8 years.

August 26, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |