August 26th, 2008

Clinton speech a work-in-progress until the last minute

DENVER (CNN) -
Hillary Clinton's speech was a work-in-progress until the last minute, a Clinton aide tells CNN: speech-writers pulled an all-nighter and rushed it into the teleprompter. The video tribute to the New York senator was also a last-minute affair, and barely got done in time.

Tonight's speech was written by Lissa Muscatine, Jim Kennedy and chief speechwriter Jon Lovett, working closely with long-time Clinton advisors Maggie Williams and Cheryl Mills.

1. Tom in Delaware

Hillary forgot to mention the ketchup stain on her suit.

Hillary didn't take back the part about Barack not being fit to lead in her speech tonight,,,that's a big OOPS. The rest of her speech was very lackluster.

Hers is an impossible task because it's so difficult to meet the tremendous expectations that are placed by so many different people on her and her supporters.

Day 1 of the DNC saw McCain break into the lead in the Gallup Poll.
    Day 2 will see that lead widen based on what I've seen tonight.

Bad days ahead for the Democratic Party.

August 26, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  2. Clinton, no, wait, McCain Supporter

Hillary Clinton makes Obama look like a SCARED PUPPY. Scared to let her be his VP because her intellect and spirit DWARF his. Tried bullying her into quitting and then manipulated the Mich. And Fla. votes so she would lose – then had the gall to give them back when it's safe. Ugh.

Obama is such coward – so WEAK – has to get others to do his dirty work.

A repellant man. I can wait 4 years. I've waited this long. And never believe that this woman is going to go away. She told you she doesn't quit – and guess what? – she doesn't.

August 26, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  3. Anthony Smith

The best speech and most gracious speech I have ever heard. To all the Clinton haters, bow down! Hillary is not done yet!

Wildwood Crest, NJ

August 26, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  4. Newly Independent Former Dem STILL Writing in Hillary

WHO is the young woman interviewed after the show was over?

SHE SPOKE FOR ME, TOO! EXACTLY! She doesn't know if she can vote for Obama.

I would love to hear what she said again.

August 26, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  5. FROMHILLARYTOMCCAIN.COM

Hillary, or McCain '08.

Obama decided to to represent us by selecting Biden over Hillary...so he lost half of the Democratic Party...

I am mobilizing Hillary supporters to this cause...

Obama punished us, now we punish him.

August 26, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  6. Pez

I am a Hillary supporter, and after he speech she truly has made me see why I need to support Obama. She's right, I didn't support her because of her, I supported her because of what she stood for and what she could mean as a leader. Obama is closest to her ideology and the issues she stands for. Although I contemplated it, I realize that supporting McCain would have been a move out of anger than out of logic.

August 26, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |