August 26th, 2008

Clinton speech a work-in-progress until the last minute

DENVER (CNN) -
Hillary Clinton's speech was a work-in-progress until the last minute, a Clinton aide tells CNN: speech-writers pulled an all-nighter and rushed it into the teleprompter. The video tribute to the New York senator was also a last-minute affair, and barely got done in time.

Tonight's speech was written by Lissa Muscatine, Jim Kennedy and chief speechwriter Jon Lovett, working closely with long-time Clinton advisors Maggie Williams and Cheryl Mills.

1. beth

Watching this speech just made me realize that the Democrats made such a big mistake..what a shame!!!

August 26, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  2. 1 Florida Democrat

hillary was AWESOME!

August 26, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  3. Clinton Supporter

Obama better give a substantive speech Thursday for once in his life.

Sexism reigns in the Democratic Party!

August 26, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  4. 1 Florida Democrat

HILLARY WAS AMAZING TONIGHT!!!

SHE IS THE LEADER WE SHOULD HAVE NOMINATED.
    SHE IS THE LEADER WE DESERVE.
    SHE IS THE LEADR WE NEED.

August 26, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  5. Clinton/McCain

No unification here. Still voting for McCain!

August 26, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  6. gary

HRC IS TOPS IN A REAL HEART TO HEART SPEECH. THATS A REAL LEADER.

August 26, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  7. M in MN

"No way. No how. No McCain."

Hillary's words – word for word.

Please tell me there aren't any Hillary supporters out there who still think they're going to vote for McCain??

August 26, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  8. Fran

Hillary is the president I have been waiting for and this is why she should have been and still should be our nominee. I believe in her causes, I just don't believe in Obama. Hillary is and will always be my choice. The DNC might be able to take away my candidate, but they cannot take away my choice not to vote for Obama. That is one thing they have no control over.

August 26, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  9. THE REPUBLICAN PARTY ARE AGENTS FROM HELL

This was by far the best speech she has ever made! I just kind of hate that she did not write it herself like Michelle Obama did who's was a litter more heartfelt, but never the less Hillary did good!

August 26, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  10. ALLAN USA

She the best. She must be the PRESIDENT not this jerk obama. NO HRC --NO obama.

August 26, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  11. Andy in DR from CA & NY

I've been a Hillary critic, but she did EXACTLY what she needed to do as a Democrat first and to re-instate her legacy as one of hope and optimism for the future. Her strength of character shown through to her own best self – for the interests of the Party and the Country. A grand slam.

August 26, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  12. Ann

Great speech! If you folks believe in anything Hillary stands for then you will vote for Obama. Just because our candidate ran a poor campaign and lost is no reason to vote for a pro-war, anti-women's rights/health/equality, big oil yes man who doesn't understand the economy. Healing our country is more important than any one candidate, and Obama's 18 million votes count just as much as Hillary's do.

August 26, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  13. PUMA together for Obama

Obama it is!
    Dems unite!!!
    08/12

August 26, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  14. Frank in NYC

OH MY GODDDD!!!! I cannot believe the black delegate woman that they just so conveniently found in the crowd that was a sick sick clinton supporter i am not even trying to disrespect hillary clinton but CNN is wild getting that woman to basically rip barack obama because she is a hillary supporter but to any normal person there is no way anyone would think that that woman is NORMAL or SANE!!!

August 26, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  15. Maria

She did not release her delegates. Hillary did not say that the delegates should all vote for Obama. All she said was that Democrats should unite, she didn't say who they should unite behind.

Such a sore loser.

August 26, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  16. Dennis

That was an excellent speech. I'm a proud Barack Obama supporter, but if we had seen this out of Hillary a year ago, it would have been hard for anyone to beat her for the nomination.

I hope her supporters take her words to heart: were you in this just for her, or were you in it for the woman that had cancer and raising two autistic childrend, the young marine that needed health care, or the young boy whose mother worked for minimum wage and had her hours cut?

I'm in it for the average Joe that Barack and Hillary champion. I hope you are too.

August 26, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  17. M in MN

Hillary's words – word for word.

"No way. No how. No McCain."

August 26, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  18. Teresa, Georgia

Thanks Hillary...that was a dynamite and powerful speech! I hope this moves all democrats to unite and support our democratic nominee for POTUS. NO HOW...NO WAY...NO MCCAIN!!!

August 26, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  19. Hmmm...

Since they closed the "are you tough enough thread", I guess I'll comment here. Bill...Who exactly are these Democrats? I would have almost thought that you had something positive, non-tabloid gossip creating, and manipulative to say until your last line. I guess you guys really are just a FOX news clone now....sad times...I hope you get paid well for what you do and I hope it's worth it.

Blitzer/Schneider '12 , The New CNN Republican party

ps. I guess I'll be awaiting moderation for this one too...#23 and counting

August 26, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  20. JuleS, Chicago

You go, girl! You'll always be my first choice.... and if Obama can hold it together, you WILL be our first woman president!

HILLARY IN 2016!!!

August 26, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  21. FrankSmith

I would like to hear any "intelligent" democrat say,

"I worked hard for Hillary, and thank her for her effort, but my loyalty lies with the Democratic party."

Wait, and please wait!

Is the Democratic party about the Clintons (i.e., Hillary) or the Democratic Party?

Why did the Clintons not dominate the Gore and Kerry nomination processes? Gore was Bill's VP for 8 years…

America has, and continues to take advantage of the Black Man!! Americans may be blind to this fact, but the WORLD that is watching America is NOT blind! A Black Man fought hard and won, plain and simple!!!!

August 26, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  22. Becky, Midwest

It's not HIllary's responsibility to win this election for Obama. He's treated her like trash and she's been way too nice. Obama can win it or lose it all my himself.

August 26, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  23. McCain #1

Seeing this woman on CNN freak out about Clinton makes it clear that Hillary was the wrong person for President. The ONLY reason many of her supporters were voting for Clinton was because she was a woman. That is so stupid. I wonder how many will be going through PMS on election day. Maybe CNN should poll that number to decide who is going to win. Get a life people, Hillary is a lying , cheating, slug of a person. Has everyone forgotten the '90s?

August 26, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  24. D&D

The "twins cities" was one of the best lines in her speech, I loved it!

August 26, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  25. john123

Obama made a mistake of not picking her as VP.

August 26, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |