August 26th, 2008

Clinton speech a work-in-progress until the last minute

DENVER (CNN) -
Hillary Clinton's speech was a work-in-progress until the last minute, a Clinton aide tells CNN: speech-writers pulled an all-nighter and rushed it into the teleprompter. The video tribute to the New York senator was also a last-minute affair, and barely got done in time.

Tonight's speech was written by Lissa Muscatine, Jim Kennedy and chief speechwriter Jon Lovett, working closely with long-time Clinton advisors Maggie Williams and Cheryl Mills.

1. Crunch Hardtack

bye, pumas! don't let the doorknob hit ya!

August 26, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  2. Sandy

I see Limbaugh Pill-Popping worshipers are out in full force tonight.

August 26, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  3. CB

Great job Sen. Clinton.

August 26, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  4. mary

I will wait 4 more years for HRC...NEVER OBAMA....NEVER...EVER
    McCain 08

August 26, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  5. ME IN FL

Big mistake from Obama not choosing her as VP. This is what a leader should be a person with courage, experience and leadership .Some one that motivates the crowds. Someone that have their issues together. Not what the DNC has imposed on us !!!

No I will not vote for Obama, he is not the right candidate to lead us. After seeing Hillary tonight I will be betraying my country and my beliefs if I vote for him and help get an unqualified person to the White House!!!

August 26, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  6. laurie

I never thought I would say this, but I think Hillary was wonderful tonight. She was energetic and eloquent. Thank you Hillary for being a strong and gracious person. This is my last post on CNN site.... I watched the PBS stations coverage of the convention tonight as I am tired of the CNNs constant efforts to stir up trouble with/for the Democrats. I will miss Cafferty, Amanpour, Cooper and Brazile....but the rest of you can take a hike....oh, and I'm guessing you won't print this..... but I just had to say goodbye....

August 26, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  7. Marilyn

I have never been a Hillary supporter. Tonight she was brilliant. She was a real stateswoman. Hillary has every right to be proud of what she did tonight. Bravo Hillary. You have won my respect.

August 26, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  8. Linda K.

Great speech. I hope Obama appoints her as the head of Health and Human Services where she can carry out her ideas and make a difference in the lives of Americans.

August 26, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  9. EqualBranchesofGovernment

Woohoo......the Red Sox beat the Yankees tonight 7-3 !! Was there a speech tonight by Hillary Clinton at the Democratic Convention??

August 26, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  10. Steve

That sound you just heard was PUMA shattering into a million pieces. Anyone posting anything to the contrary tonight is Operation Chaos.

Great job, Sen, Clinton!

August 26, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  11. Rachel

She is tough, she delivered a GREAT speech tonight.....LET'S FACE IT....she's not the party's nominee, nothing will change that. If her and Bill can get behind Barack for the sake of the party her democratic supporters (if they were real democrats and supporters) should stand by her decision.

August 26, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  12. Hillary Your Are the Woman!!!

Hillary for President!!! She has the characteristics of a WONDERFUL leader!!!

And CNN why do you keep cutting off all the positive comments for the articles you have made about Clinton!!!!

August 26, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  13. MISSKITTY

THERE IS NO WAY WE WILL VOTE FOR OBAMA, WHEN I SEE HIM ON TV I GET A BAD BAD FEELING ABOUT HIM.PLUS HE IS A MUSLIUM AND CANT BE TRUSTED !! AND HIS WIFE ,JUST A FEW MONTHS AGO SHE SAID ON NATIONAL TV THAT IT WAS THE FIRST TIME IN HER ADULT LIFE THAT SHE WAS PROUD OF THIS COUNTRY. PEOPLE DO NOT CHANGE!!! ALL I SEEN THROUGH ALL THIS IS THE OBAMA'S SAYING WHAT THEY KNOW PEOPLE WANT TO HEAR. HE GIVES ME A BAD BAD FEELING !! WAKE UP AMERICA IF HE BECOMES PRESIDENT HE'LL DESTROY OUR NATION!!!
    YES HILLARY GAVE A GREAT SPEACH TO NIGHT BUT SHE SAID WHAT SHE HAD TO BECAUSE OF THE DEMOCRATE PARTY.I DONT BELIEVE SHE HAD MUCH OF A CHOICE . THIS SHOULD BE HERS NOT OBAMAS .WE ARE DEMOCRATES WHO WILL VOTE FOR JOHN MC CAIN. THERE IS NO WAY HE'S GOING TO DO WHAT BUSH DID, THE MAN IS NOT STUPID!! AND I WILL GLADLY TELL ALL DEMOCRATES GO REPUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BUT IF OBAMA GETS IN HE'LL DESTROY OUR NATION !!

August 26, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  14. US Citizen

Lots of slogans and empty promises. Seriously, enough with the universal healthcare talk. The last thing we need is the government inefficiently managing another program in exchange for higher taxes. Once you go down that road, there's no going back, just like Social Security. I'm sure Obama didn't want to constantly get beat over the head with the healthcare issue.

August 26, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  15. Hillary is Awesome!!

That was great speech!! I'm still voting for Mccain.

Mccain '08

August 26, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  16. Sandy

If CNN quits stirring the pot, maybe her speech will mean something in the end. Otherwise, it was just hot air.

August 26, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  17. OBA-DEN 08... all the way!!

I was so pleasantly surprised at Mrs. Clinton today. At first listening to the speech and watching Bill cry, I thought here she goes again taking the time to pat herself on the back once again... she actually delivered this time! I remember being disappointed when she ended her campaign and tried to get everyone behind Obama, it was so lackluster, but this time I really felt it. I was moved by her enthusiasm, seeming sincerity, and just the colloquialism of it. Thank you so much Mrs. Clinton!! The blood is off of your hands. If your "supporters" continue to go for McCain, let it be on them...

August 26, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  18. James

Hey, I voted for her too, but when Obama won my state, I got on board the Obama bandwagon. Lets put the country first people! We can't even afford one month of McCain!!!!!

August 26, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  19. Ann

For America to regain world recognition once more, there has to be change from the ground level up. Hillary's speach was a presidential address and 'am sure very hard for her, well delivered and poised...What Obama needed...cheers!

August 26, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  20. Scott Sanders

I have never been so proud of the Democratic convention speakers as I was tonight while watching Hillary Clinton. She is a woman to be held in the highest regard for her personal accomplishments and her unselfish giving to the Obama campaign. I will always respect her and look forward to seeing her run (successfully) in 2012. I don't think Michelle and Barack could ever have stood as tall as Hillary did onthat stage tonight were the position reversed.

By the way...why does CNN close down the comments so fast any time there seems to be an onslaught of support for Hillary during the convention. The comments were closed after 29 entries regarding Hillary's speech. Ridiculously biased!

August 26, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  21. Mary Anne

NEVER! We will never give Obama our vote after the way he treated Hillary Clinton during the primary season. We did not vote for her just because we liked her and respected her ideas, but, we voted for her because we knew she emodied so many things that Obama lacked!

August 26, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  22. jgzeger

Hillary's speech did not make me want to vote for Obama but rather made me regret once again that she was not the candidate.

August 26, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  23. D in Indiana

Awesome Speech..to the writers of it. She did a wonderful job reading the teleprompters! Better than Obama does I thought anyway. This was what the headline of this article was about, or again, so I thought anyway. Which I don't understand why all the writers were pointed out and named in this tiny article..unless it was trying to make the case that it wasn't even her speech??.... You decide what this article's point was trying to make.

August 26, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  24. william

ok... cnn closes the comments way to fast. They only post the Obama supporters comments because they also support him. Well Hillary you did what you needed to do. Now we will do what we need to do and that is not support Obama. My vote has not changed since you dropped out. My vote is for McCain and Ill be behind you in 2010 till 2012 when you become the first female president of this country. You will have a lot more hard work but we can Hang on till then.
    lets see if cnn post this one

August 26, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  25. Sandy

I see the McCain loving moderators are still working overtime.

August 26, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |